+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Schooler Friendly Mardi Gras in North La?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Pre-Schooler Friendly Mardi Gras in North La?

This may be sort of strange, but I've never really been into Mardi Gras. However, my 4-year-old has been learning about it at school and wants to go to a parade. It also might be nice to let my in-laws who are from abroad experience it.

Anyway, we are not really looking for a party, just a kid-and-elder-friendly Mardi Gras event in north Louisiana. Any suggestions?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Pre-Schooler Friendly Mardi Gras in North La?

You've already missed in in North La. Monroe and Shreveport had theirs last Saturday.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    You've already missed in in North La. Monroe and Shreveport had theirs last Saturday.

Actually, my son is supposed to be in a parade in Shreveport on Sunday. I don't know what it is, but I'll ask. I thought Shreveports were done the week before as well.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

The last MAJOR parade, Krewe of Gemini, runs this Saturday in Shreveport at 4:30. They are the oldest Krewe in the area and their floats are really nice. (They have people come up from N.O. to build them. Centaur, last weekend, makes their own float.)
    http://www.kreweofgemini.com/home.html

If you are looking for a more family atmosphere I recogmend going on the parkway in their "No Alcohol Zone". If you still want to have one or two anywhere on the parkway is good for children
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/asset...D919334215.PDF

Although a lot smaller the Krewe of Highland rolls Sunday.
    Krewe of Highland Mardi Gras Parade
    Sunday, February 3, 2008
    The parade begins and ends at Columbia Park where Carnival de Columbia takes place. The parade will feature Blanc et Noir Marching Society, Shreveport's newest krewe. The Group will march in costume with a brass band and banner. 2 p.m. For more information call 318-869-4897 or 219-3763.
    And then Tuesday there is the Krewe of Aesclepius. Really nice for the little kids.
    Krewe of Aesclepius Fat Tuesday Parade
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008
    Louisiana Boardwalk, Bass Pro Shop, Bossier City. The parade is geared toward families and children and royalty will ride on floats and in convertibles. The children's parade will begin at 5 p.m. and the main parade will begin at 6:30 p.m. For further information call 318-429-2705.
    They also will have events after this that you can walk to. Here is the list.
    Mardi Gras Upstate Festival
    Saddle Ridge in the Louisiana Boardwalk, Bossier City. Mardi Gras Upstate will take place immediately after the Aesclepius Parade.Krewe of Aesclepius 'Toast to the End of Mardi Gras
    Top of the Texas St. Bridge, connecting downtown Shreveport with Bossier City. The annual 'Bridge Closing Ceremony' is held on Fat Tuesday to mark the close of the Mardi Gras season and the beginning of Lent. The bridge is closed to traffic for one hour as visitors make their way to the top. Final toasts are given by area Kings, Queens, & Captains followed by Aesclepius royals. At midnight, priests distribute Lenten Ashes. This is a most unique experience! Feb. 5, around 11:30 p.m. Free and open to the public. 318-222-8054.Aesclepius Bridge Closing Ceremony
    Middle of the Texas St. Bridge. The Krewe of Aesclepius leads the toast to the end of Mardi Gras. The kings, queens and captains of all local krewes join in the toast. There is a brief Lenten ash service by local Catholic and Episcopal priests. 11:45 p.m.-midnight.
    Me, I am going to Gemini and will be on East Kings with plenty of adult beverages. Kid is going to the grand parents!

Hope this info helps.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    This may be sort of strange, but I've never really been into Mardi Gras. However, my 4-year-old has been learning about it at school and wants to go to a parade. It also might be nice to let my in-laws who are from abroad experience it.

Anyway, we are not really looking for a party, just a kid-and-elder-friendly Mardi Gras event in north Louisiana. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that unless you are in New Orleans or Metarie they are all kid and elder friendly.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Thanks, folks!

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    I'm pretty sure that unless you are in New Orleans or Metarie they are all kid and elder friendly.
    Although Shreveport's two major parades are tame compared to New Orleans there are definately places along the route that children should NOT be. Yes, you will get flashed. And any place that people start drinking at 7am and the parade doesn't get to them until after 8pm is not a place I would take a small child.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Although Shreveport's two major parades are tame compared to New Orleans there are definately places along the route that children should NOT be. Yes, you will get flashed. And any place that people start drinking at 7am and the parade doesn't get to them until after 8pm is not a place I would take a small child.
    In A-Town you gotta deal with those grant parish girls...

Not kid friendly.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Is Ed gonna let you do a remote show Monday and Tuesday from New Orleans?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

Not kid friendly.
    Yeah, but that's true when it's not Mardi Gras, too, isn't it?

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

Not kid friendly.

Whoa, Buddy!! Watch it on the Grant Parish girls. Cal&Ken and I both grew up there! I think we're both VERY kid friendly!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Whoa, Buddy!! Watch it on the Grant Parish girls. Cal&Ken and I both grew up there! I think we're both VERY kid friendly!
    Y'all never hung out at the Delchamp's parking lot did you?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Of course not, but I did get pulled over on my way home going down Jackson Street on suspicion of drunk driving one Friday night. There were kids standing out in the street and I changed lanes a couple of times to drive around them and I get pulled over to get questioned about drunk driving? I'd been playing cards with my grandparents in Grant Parish for the evening - an exciting evening for a mid-20's young gal - and was HIGHLY offended. No, I didn't get cuffed, and I'm certain my blood alcohol would have been 0.00 if they'd checked, but I'm quite certain my blood pressure was VERY elevated!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

The Highland parade on Sunday in Shreveport is definitely kid friendly. There is also a no drinking zone believe it or not along the Gemini route in Shreveport. Just stay out of the Shreve City area.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

When did all these Mardi Gras parades start in north La.? I never even heard the word Mardi Gras until I went to Tech and met some students from NO. That was the only Mardi Gras parade in the state at that time.

+ Reply to Thread