+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recruiting/Head Coach

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Re: Recruiting/Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Yes, it is self-defeating to give up. It is ALSO a powerful statement by the fans when they DON'T show up. Ultimately, fans can voice their support of the team by NOT participating....in effect, "boycotting" the leadership of the team. This does not mean they are not fans, it means they choose to express their support in a different way.

Unfortunately, it does not appear the leadership of the university pays attention to the dwindling fan base at home games.
    Agreed!! But since DR never attends the games ( or so I've heard from what few season ticket holders I know nor have I personally ever seen him there in my usual 5-7 games season I attend ) how would HE know? As long as his nanoengineering baby is growing & getting state/federal grants ( & I'm NOT putting this curriculum done by any means - I'm a Tech petroleum grad myself ) then he could care less, IMHO. I remember that F. Jay rarely missed a game & he was generally mobbed by the fans when he was there!! We can have both a strong academic & athletic foundation concurrently ( & under the same university president ) because while the Techsters ruled the WBB Top 10 ( more accurately the Top 1 or 2 ) in the 80's our engineering department ( overall ) also was ranked in the Top 10 in the nation ( I recall us being #3 in the South - behind only Georgia Tech & Texas A&M ). Did it under F. Jay but he actually CARED about the athletics of the university. Maybe Dooley ( as our new A.D. ) will make it a point to check out a few of the Techster & Bulldawg games this season & make decisions regarding those programs.
    The downside to not attending the games can be seen as a slight at the players ( although since the CL tenure started the product on the court THAT I'VE SEEN has been more of an undisciplined schoolyard style & that's attributed to coaching - or a LACK thereof!! ) instead of the coaching staff. How do the girls know that the empty seats R a reflection on the coaches or the boos are directed at the coaches' decisions & not THEIR execution? Kinda like Nick Faldo getting all the blame for Europe losing the Ryder Cup this year. I never saw HIM hit one shot yet it's all his fault??! Granted, BB is a team sport unlike golf.
    Kinda makes me bring up my usual ( & thusfar unanswered ) question - how can we be certain that any improvement ( if there is any ) of the team will be credited to Spoon & not CL?? We're putting a LOT of pressure on her shoulders but she's never backed down from a challenge nor would I expect her to start now.

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-24-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add comment

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Yes, it is self-defeating to give up. It is ALSO a powerful statement by the fans when they DON'T show up. Ultimately, fans can voice their support of the team by NOT participating....in effect, "boycotting" the leadership of the team. This does not mean they are not fans, it means they choose to express their support in a different way.

Unfortunately, it does not appear the leadership of the university pays attention to the dwindling fan base at home games.
    We differ on this one. Even when you don't like the leadership, you support the team by showing up and cheering them on as much as possible. A dwindling fan base does nothing but show recruits that it is not an exciting atmosphere. You are right that it hasn't effected D.R. one bit. A LOUD fan base that comes to games and voices their opinions to those in charge - D.R. and Dooley, not on a message board - is usually more effective.

I have a good feeling that TSpoon will get a lot of fans back in the seats, though, especially if we are winning. Casual fans support the team only when they are winning. True fans support the team no matter what, but make their feelings known where it counts.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    We differ on this one. Even when you don't like the leadership, you support the team by showing up and cheering them on as much as possible. A dwindling fan base does nothing but show recruits that it is not an exciting atmosphere. You are right that it hasn't effected D.R. one bit. A LOUD fan base that comes to games and voices their opinions to those in charge - D.R. and Dooley, not on a message board - is usually more effective.

I have a good feeling that TSpoon will get a lot of fans back in the seats, though, especially if we are winning. Casual fans support the team only when they are winning. True fans support the team no matter what, but make their feelings known where it counts.
    Champ - Got a better idea. How about we gather around Wyly Tower when we're certain that DR's there & get CRAZY LOUD from down in the parking lot??!! I'm thinking bullhorns & signs!! Maybe THEN he'll at least have Dooley look into things.

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-24-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add comment

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Champ - Got a better idea. How about we gather around Wyly Tower when we're certain that DR's there & get CRAZY LOUD from down in the parking lot??!! I'm thinking bullhorns & signs!! Maybe THEN he'll at least have Dooley look into things.

MG
    I think we have Dooley on our side and Karl Malone on our side. Things will have to improve. Neither will stand for mediocracy.

So far, it appears that Dooley gets what Dooley wants and THAT is a good thing. :icon_wink:

I think we have Dooley on our side and Karl Malone on our side. Things will have to improve. Neither will stand for mediocracy.

So far, it appears that Dooley gets what Dooley wants and THAT is a good thing. :icon_wink:
    Just so long as he expands his focus from his FB team to the rest of the university athletic programs then him getting what he wants may be good. My only concern his ability to split his time/attention between his #1 job of FB coach & the rest of the programs DURING FB season. The Techster, baseball, tennis, etc. programs can't wait until after FB season for some TLC or it will be too late. Of course, all of this was brought up during the appointment of DD into the AD spot. Even some of the ESPN announcers stated that DD was one of only 2 ( I THINK ) head FB coaches who were also AD's at their universities. Guess we'll see.

MG

Just so long as he expands his focus from his FB team to the rest of the university athletic programs then him getting what he wants may be good. My only concern his ability to split his time/attention between his #1 job of FB coach & the rest of the programs DURING FB season. The Techster, baseball, tennis, etc. programs can't wait until after FB season for some TLC or it will be too late. Of course, all of this was brought up during the appointment of DD into the AD spot. Even some of the ESPN announcers stated that DD was one of only 2 ( I THINK ) head FB coaches who were also AD's at their universities. Guess we'll see.

MG
    I do agree that it is going to be a BIG test for him, especially toward the end of football season when BBall is already going. If I could find one person on earth that I think can do it, though, it would be him. :icon_wink:

Puppy lovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the ears

I would like to know if CL has hired Champion110 to post on this board..

Quote Originally Posted by lovethat24 View Post
    I post as a fan of all Tech sports. I do not believe in bashing anyone on an open forum. Talk about helping with recruiting....... Duhhhh

You have 8 posts on this board and I would just ask you to think about your posts before making statements like that. If any of you would like to know my stand on any issue, pay to get in the recruiting section.

The season hasn't even started yet and the bashing has already begun. Let's see what happens this year.

Warning Re: Recruiting/Head Coach

Easy, there!! Champ & I may see 180 degrees apart on most of our CL issues BUT Gary has a DEEP love for all sports & the university as a whole. Not that he needs me to defend him but he's been posting here WAY before CL became HC & spends quite a bit of time on the other sport Forums so I'd be careful about attacking him.
    Besides, fighting w/him about CL; KB; Kim & Leon, etc. on THIS board is the exclusive job of myself & Fanfromafar!!! Not too boast but I think we're doing a wonderful job ( still can't shut him up completely, though!!! :icon_wink: ).

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-24-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add comment

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

The season hasn't even started yet and the bashing has already begun. Let's see what happens this year.
    We've had to endure CL as head coach for three long seasons.

Easy, there!! Champ & I may see 180 degrees apart on most of our CL issues BUT Gary has a DEEP love for all sports & the university as a whole. Not that he needs me to defend him but he's been posting here WAY before CL became HC & spends quite a bit of time on the other sport Forums so I'd be careful about attacking him.
    Besides, fighting w/him about CL; KB; Kim & Leon, etc. on THIS board is the exclusive job of myself & Fanfromafar!!! Not too boast but I think we're doing a wonderful job ( still can't shut him up completely, though!!! :icon_wink: ).

MG
    MG, you and FFAF agree on more than we disagree on. :icon_wink:

I am hoping that TSPoon injects some needed energy to this team. With her defensive techniques and emotion, it can't help but help this team.

Lovethat24,
    I just read all 8, now 9, of your posts. I hope you have a good day from time to time. It doesn't sound like it. All that hate can build up and make you a miserable person.

I started following the Techsters in 1980 and have not faultered in my support of each and every team that has hit that floor. I will continue to do that.

Puppy lovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the ears

Champ you have no idea how i feel. I have been a Techester Fan since the 80's i have been to many final fours and have traveled the country in support of the Techesters. I can not just sit around a watch someone destroy the program that i once loved so much.. Do you attend the welcome back supper ever year or join the tip off club or even take part in the hospitality room that are offered after some home games? Just wondering... Don't get me wrong champ i hope that Spoon can turn the program around. I still think CL needs to go...

Champ you have no idea how i feel. I have been a Techester Fan since the 80's i have been to many final fours and have traveled the country in support of the Techesters. I can not just sit around a watch someone destroy the program that i once loved so much.. Do you attend the welcome back supper ever year or join the tip off club or even take part in the hospitality room that are offered after some home games? Just wondering... Don't get me wrong champ i hope that Spoon can turn the program around. I still think CL needs to go...
    Been a fan and avid supporter since 79. Worshipped Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore. I live in Texas, so I don't get to the Welcome back suppers every year. My parents have never missed one, though. They live close by. I communicate with the coaches on a regular basis - Leon, Kim, and Long. When Sonja was around, I lived close to her house. Followed them on the road and went to Final Fours. When I say I am an avid supporter, I am an AVID supporter.

I understand your frustration. We ALL have the same frustration - believe me. I just do not think a public forum is the place to air all our laundry. That is all. Plus, I don't think the personal attacks are needed - especially. Chris is a nice guy. No matter what you think about the coaching, I don't know many people that would say otherwise about him or his family.

I spar with Mean Gene and Fanfromafar all the time, but they never make it personal. That was the only problem I had with your post. I disagree with a lot of things, but I can always understand the other persons point of view.

+ Reply to Thread