+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boise

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Re: Boise

Have we ever been swept by 2 conference opponents in the same season before now?

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Down Re: Boise

Sure have. And it was just 4 nights ago w/Fresno State!! :bigcry: So now it's happened TWICE & under U-know-who's watch!! Let's see if he can get a trifecta on 3/1 vs Nevada!! Oh, that'll be at the TAC so he can add to HIS losing home record at the same time. Getting more for his coaching ability, I guess ( the Techsters sure AREN'T!! ).

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: Boise

Quote Originally Posted by rustondawg5198 View Post
    Let's assume for a second that Long gets canned after this season.

Who in their right mind would come to Ruston? Our "tradition" and "mystique" sure as heck isn't doing much for us these days. The Thomas Assembly Center is no longer an intimidating place to play.

Would the administration dig deep and find the kind of dollars it would take to get a first-rate coach in here? Probably not.

Could a new coach convince elite athletes to spend four years of their life in Ruston, Louisiana? Especially when schools like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, etc., etc., have facilities and amenities (like charter flights to road games and no 16-hour travel days to get to Moscow, Idaho) that are FAR superior to what we've got? I doubt it.

We HAD an elite program. But instead of keeping up with the Joneses (or the Summitts or the Conradts or the Landerses or the Auriemmas), we said, "What we have is good enough. We'll always be able to recruit well because of our tradition." Now we're in a down cycle AND our facilities are 10-15 years behind everyone else. Our fan base is literally dying off (as is the WBB crowd at Tennessee, Old Dominion, Georgia, etc.). Students just don't care, although that's fairly common throughout women's basketball.

And you see what we're left with. I don't know that it's fair to point the finger at Chris Long, Kurt Budke, Jim Oakes, or Dr. Reneau alone. There's plenty of blame to go around. But it's going to take a lot of work from a lot of people to get our program back to where it needs to be.

A new head coach is probably a good starting point. But who? And when? And how?

We need players that care because most of the ones out there seem to have attitude problems and they're prone to quit when the going gets tough. But once again, what elite athlete wants to spend four years of their life in Ruston when they could be in Austin or Baton Rouge or Athens or Knoxville?

It's never going to be like it was in the '80s. Times have changed and we simply can't compete with the top-tier schools like Connecticut or Tennessee or North Carolina. But with the right commitment from our administration and a coach that can get the most out of his or her players, we could at least be a dominant team in this conference and a perennial Sweet 16-level program.
    Everyone - Now this is what FFA & myself been preaching for 2+ years & no, this isn't either of us under a different screen name!!

RustonDawg - WELL SAID!!!

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by rustondawg5198 View Post
    Let's assume for a second that Long gets canned after this season.

Who in their right mind would come to Ruston? Our "tradition" and "mystique" sure as heck isn't doing much for us these days. The Thomas Assembly Center is no longer an intimidating place to play.

Would the administration dig deep and find the kind of dollars it would take to get a first-rate coach in here? Probably not.

Could a new coach convince elite athletes to spend four years of their life in Ruston, Louisiana? Especially when schools like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, etc., etc., have facilities and amenities (like charter flights to road games and no 16-hour travel days to get to Moscow, Idaho) that are FAR superior to what we've got? I doubt it.

We HAD an elite program. But instead of keeping up with the Joneses (or the Summitts or the Conradts or the Landerses or the Auriemmas), we said, "What we have is good enough. We'll always be able to recruit well because of our tradition." Now we're in a down cycle AND our facilities are 10-15 years behind everyone else. Our fan base is literally dying off (as is the WBB crowd at Tennessee, Old Dominion, Georgia, etc.). Students just don't care, although that's fairly common throughout women's basketball.

And you see what we're left with. I don't know that it's fair to point the finger at Chris Long, Kurt Budke, Jim Oakes, or Dr. Reneau alone. There's plenty of blame to go around. But it's going to take a lot of work from a lot of people to get our program back to where it needs to be.

A new head coach is probably a good starting point. But who? And when? And how?

We need players that care because most of the ones out there seem to have attitude problems and they're prone to quit when the going gets tough. But once again, what elite athlete wants to spend four years of their life in Ruston when they could be in Austin or Baton Rouge or Athens or Knoxville?

It's never going to be like it was in the '80s. Times have changed and we simply can't compete with the top-tier schools like Connecticut or Tennessee or North Carolina. But with the right commitment from our administration and a coach that can get the most out of his or her players, we could at least be a dominant team in this conference and a perennial Sweet 16-level program.
    I agree with most of what you said. But I warn you to be prepared for an onslaught of red dots and criticism for suggesting that Ruston is not a metropolis. When I suggested the same several months ago, I was reminded that there are MANY top tier players who want the small town atmosphere that Ruston offers. That may be true, but combine a small town atmosphere with a budget that can't compete on the national level with the downward spiral of the past season and this season and you have even MORE obstacles to overcome in the recruiting department.

I will disagree in principle to the "dying off" of fans at other schools. Tennessee is not losing its fan base. Duke, Maryland, NC, Stanford, and even Old Dominion (as well as countless other D1 schools) have enormous fan base support. What's the difference? They have great teams fostered by a passionate coach.

I do agree with you that pointing the finger solely at Long is perhaps misguided. But don't you agree that under his leadership the program has sunk to all time lows? Perhaps we will return to "sweet sixteen" status, and even go beyond that on occasion. But I do not see that happening with this coach. And regarding the players, well, again, they are his choices. So for now, I lay THIS part of the problem at HIS feet.

Frown Re: Boise

I will disagree in principle to the "dying off" of fans at other schools. Tennessee is not losing its fan base. Duke, Maryland, NC, Stanford, and even Old Dominion (as well as countless other D1 schools) have enormous fan base support. What's the difference? They have great teams fostered by a passionate coach.

FFA - Yeah, I missed addressing that statement so I'm glad ya got my back 'cause I feel the same way. I give even MORE credit to Tennessee because they've CONTINUED to maintian ( if not grow ) their fan base for 27 years!! It's easy to hop aboard the bandwagon of a suddenly/recently improving team. I recall when we played Maryland & NC when their programs were in their infancy & their stands were maybe half full. NOW try to get a ticket!! Haven't seen the attendance figures from Baylor or OSU since "those" coaches :icon_wink: took the reins but I'd wager that they're up substantially!! What's the common denominator?? The product put before the fans on the court. INHO, we have the athletes ( albeit too many guards ) but THEY have NO GUIDANCE!!

MG

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

We, the fan base at the Lady Techster basketball games are literally dying off. All one has to do is scan the seating areas and notice that the color of the hair of most of the fans is either gray, white or blue. Most of the fans appear to be eligible for Medicare. We are at the age where we are exiting this life.

The student body is almost a no-show at the games. Why? I have no clue. I suppose that today's youth sees little value in being a part of something bigger than themselves.

The majority of the fans are the elderly and it has always puzzled me concerning why the administration has , by an act of commission, chosen to virtually ignore this important and faithful group of fans. One simple and meaningful thing that could be done for these loyal fans is to provide them with a "senior citizen fan" parking lot as near the TAC as possible. It is not easy for old people to get to the TAC after having to walk through the almost empty high roller parking lots.

But at the expense of repetition may I say again that some long time fans are literally dying, and now that the shine is off the apple, they aren't being replaced.

"The student body is almost a no-show at the games. Why? I have no clue. I suppose that today's youth sees little value in being a part of something bigger than themselves."

Sharky - The problem is exactly what I've been preaching since CL's been the HC - the product put before us on the court. I can say this w/confidence as I've seen at before @ Tech. During the Techsters heyday they'd schedule doubleheaders w/the men's team playing after the Ladies. The stands would be packed for the Techsters but the men would be lucky to have 1/3 of them stay for their game. The fans is attendance were equally the local Rustonites AND Tech students. Back then the men's team was in the middle of the conference ( SLC @ that time, I THINK ) so they really weren't that good PLUS they played a slow-down halfcourt offense which was, quite frankly, boring to watch.
    THEY CHANGED COACHES ( hint-hint!! ) & Andy Russo took over ( plus some so-so future NBA Hall of Famer named Karl Malone showed up!! :icon_wink: ) & the tempo of the game plus better results ( made the Sweet 16 & finally lost to Wayman Tisdale's Oklahoma team - barely!! ) quickly made the TAC the place to be for BOTH teams!! It's not like Ruston has alot more to offer other than Tech functions but watching a WINNER made it appealing to the students ( especially on those weekends @ a "suitcase college"! ).
    I'll throw some gas on the fire ( & it ain't gonna happen anytime soon - dam*it!! ) but just use your imagination & think what it would be like @ the TAC if KM came back??!! I'd wager a month's wages that season ticket sales would explode!!
    Since Kim isn't coming home, just put a winning team ( & THESE ladies R capable of winning IF they had some guidance, IMHO! ) on the court & the fans will slowly return.

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 02-08-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add comment

+ Reply to Thread