+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roger Clemens Soap Opera

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Baseball Roger Clemens Soap Opera

Personally, I think Clemens is lying, but that's just me.

If this is true, that Pettite corroborated McNamee's testimony, then things probably don't look good for Roger. He would be guilty of lying in his deposition as well as guilty in the "court of public opinion."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7790120?MSNHPHMA

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Roger Clemens Soap Opera

I agree with you -

That and the fact that McNamee doesn't bring the Rocket's wife into the fray without some very damning evidence...

Atleast Barry Bonds should be happy - all the attention is off of him for the time being
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I was very surprised with Petitte. I thought he would go mum and say that he didnt know one way or the other. I knew Petitte could only hurt Roger, not McNamee. Even if Petitte would have said that he didnt know of any steroid use by Roger, it still wouldnt have meant that Rog didnt. I cannot believe we are having congressional hearings on it, but I guess they werent planning on getting anything done anyway.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I cannot believe we are having congressional hearings on it, but I guess they werent planning on getting anything done anyway.

Folks have got to remember the amount of the legal "book" that is made on sporting events each and every year in the US - that amount alone, in my mind, constitute enough of a right to hold hearings on this type of things -

Go back and research all the hearings that were held on collegiate football at the turn of the 20th century - this is basically the same thing - the integrity of the sport is being seriously challenged, albeit from a different front -

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Folks have got to remember the amount of the legal "book" that is made on sporting events each and every year in the US - that amount alone, in my mind, constitute enough of a right to hold hearings on this type of things -

Go back and research all the hearings that were held on collegiate football at the turn of the 20th century - this is basically the same thing - the integrity of the sport is being seriously challenged, albeit from a different front -
    I might could agree if the congress had more important issues under control, given the fact that they dont. All things involving sports needs to be put on the backburner and let MLB take care of this. I dont see where this is Congress' place at the moment.

I might could agree if the congress had more important issues under control, given the fact that they dont. All things involving sports needs to be put on the backburner and let MLB take care of this. I dont see where this is Congress' place at the moment.
    I disagree - Congress will always have more pressing "matters" - whether its a war, terrorism, cancer, gas prices, inflation etc etc etc - and they will never have them under control -

They never have and they never will -

Unfortunately, the reason we have this mess IS because of the guidance of MLB and the MLB players association -

Look at the billions MLB and the NFL generate each year - add in the legal book off of this - it is an ASTONISHING number -

And I have two brothers in the military and both have been to Iraq and one still makes frequent trips to Iraq and Afganistan and all points in between - and they are just as intrigued with this as I am -

I disagree - Congress will always have more pressing "matters" - whether its a war, terrorism, cancer, gas prices, inflation etc etc etc - and they will never have them under control -

They never have and they never will -

Unfortunately, the reason we have this mess IS because of the guidance of MLB and the MLB players association -

Look at the billions MLB and the NFL generate each year - add in the legal book off of this - it is an ASTONISHING number -

And I have two brothers in the military and both have been to Iraq and one still makes frequent trips to Iraq and Afganistan and all points in between - and they are just as intrigued with this as I am -
    I might find it intriguing, but I dont think Congress should waste their time with this. I dont see where it is Congress' place to do it. This is strictly political. they havent gotten anything done in about a decade, except for giving themselves sweeter pensions, so they put their faces on this very public issue. Roger injected himself with steroids, okay. If the fans are mad about it, then they can boycott the games. If the fans dont care enough to quit going, then let it be. I am not sure what this is supposed to accomplish. Can someone tell me what importance this will have after all is said and done? Maybe somebody is seeing something i am not seeing.

Like I said, it goes back to the integrity of the game and the billions upon billions of dollars the games and industry generate -

You were too young the remember the joke the NFL almost became due to the bacially the same problem (and cocaine) in the late 70's and ealry 80's - and look where it is at today -

Granted Congress did not have to step in then, but they threatened to if they did not clean their act up - for the most part they did - due to Pete Rozell

MLB was given the same opportunity, but they haven't -

It's not just a game, it is VERY VERY BIG BUSINESS and business has to be regulated when it can't regulate itself -

Look at all the interests involved from gambling to mass media - its huge, much larger than most want to admit because they consider it a GAME -

Like I said, it goes back to the integrity of the game and the billions upon billions of dollars the games and industry generate -

You were too young the remember the joke the NFL almost became due to the bacially the same problem (and cocaine) in the late 70's and ealry 80's - and look where it is at today -

Granted Congress did not have to step in then, but they threatened to if they did not clean their act up - for the most part they did - due to Pete Rozell

MLB was given the same opportunity, but they haven't -

It's not just a game, it is VERY VERY BIG BUSINESS and business has to be regulated when it can't regulate itself -

Look at all the interests involved from gambling to mass media - its huge, much larger than most want to admit because they consider it a GAME -

I am pretty libertarian, so government stepping in because a business cant do it themselves just doesnt fly for me. There are inherent risks within any business you invest in. Congress is in this for one reason, good publicity. If this is the case, it is just like the government trying to step in and tell banks what to do about the subprime mortgage. If baseball cant figure it out, then they should suffer. If you choose to gamble or invest in a business that is in shambles, that is your risk.

So, taxpayers are footing the bill because gamblers dont have a fair playing field. I would like to know the percentage of people that make a living off of betting off on baseball, .001% maybe? Those guys getting a fair shake is the least of my concerns. The only people I could see this really mattering to are baseball fans, but they can choose to hit MLB back by not going to games. We dont need anymore government intervention.

Your views will change in about 25 years or so....

And don't say they won't cause they always do -

I know one thing, I idolized baseball when i was little. I remember watching the Braves games and they would flash the players AVG., HR, and RBI when he got up to bat and those numbers were magical. I dont know if growing up plus the fact that baseball has had so many issues over the last 15 years has just totally tarnished that for me. Now, I couldnt care less. If the government has to get it right for you, there is something deeply wrong.

If the government has to get it right for you, there is something deeply wrong.
    Unfortunately, sometimes it does take some type of governmental action to atleast restore some type of order - and that goes for most areas of life whether its zoning laws, utility regulation, narcotic control, etc etc etc -

Like I said, you have to stop looking at it as a GAME - its a billion dollar business....

Unfortunately, there wasn't a Judge Kennesaw Landis in the commissioner's chair to straighten this thing out -

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, sometimes it does take some type of governmental action to atleast restore some type of order - and that goes for most areas of life whether its zoning laws, utility regulation, narcotic control, etc etc etc -
    No Child Left Behind

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Pettite off the hook for now. Won't be questioned in the hearing.

Like I said, you have to stop looking at it as a GAME - its a billion dollar business....

Unfortunately, there wasn't a Judge Kennesaw Landis in the commissioner's chair to straighten this thing out -
    I think that might be half of the problem with MLB, they dont see it as a game at all. That is why Bud and folks were sitting there happy as a pig in mud when roided up Sosa and McGwire were slamming bombs, they could see the dollar signs coming back to baseball. It didnt need to be done right, they just wanted it done.

+ Reply to Thread