+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youth and Inexperience

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Youth and Inexperience

1996-97
    Many people thought Louisiana Tech was going to have to rebuild after losing four starters to graduation, but Leon Barmore simply reloaded - and kept winning.
    Tech started the season strong, winning the inaugural Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament, defeating Tennessee 66-64 in the title game. Starting one freshman, three sophomores and a junior college transfer, Louisiana Tech proceeded to post a 31-4 record and win their fifth-straight regular season Sun Belt Conference title. After claiming a second consecutive SBC Tournament title, Tech entered the NCAA Tournament and promptly defeated St. Peter ’s and Auburn before falling to Florida in the regional semifinals.
    Barmore won his 400th career contest with a 71-54 victory over North Carolina State in the Preseason WNIT.

Youth and inexperience. Excuses.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Down Re: Youth and Inexperience

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    1996-97
    Many people thought Louisiana Tech was going to have to rebuild after losing four starters to graduation, but Leon Barmore simply reloaded - and kept winning.
    Tech started the season strong, winning the inaugural Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament, defeating Tennessee 66-64 in the title game. Starting one freshman, three sophomores and a junior college transfer, Louisiana Tech proceeded to post a 31-4 record and win their fifth-straight regular season Sun Belt Conference title. After claiming a second consecutive SBC Tournament title, Tech entered the NCAA Tournament and promptly defeated St. Peter ’s and Auburn before falling to Florida in the regional semifinals.
    Barmore won his 400th career contest with a 71-54 victory over North Carolina State in the Preseason WNIT.

FFA - But we DO have youth & inexperience!! Unfortunately, it's in the position of head coach!!!! LOL!!!

P.S. WHAT!!!! Do my eyes betray me or do I see that Leon actually used one of those useless JUCO's??!! I'm shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.P.S. Ya know what? SCREW those guys who can't deal w/me & my emoticons!! Man!! I think I just had a big "O"!!!! I need a cigarette now ( even if I don't smoke!! )

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 02-11-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add comment

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Youth and Inexperience

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post

Some people like to use the phrase "apples to oranges," but in this case you're comparing apples to Ambrosia. Coach Barmore is one of the all time great coaches of women's basketball and didn't have to compete with Title IX. Are you trying to argue that Coach Long isn't as good as Coach Barmore? That would be a weird argument.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Some people like to use the phrase "apples to oranges," but in this case you're comparing apples to Ambrosia. Coach Barmore is one of the all time great coaches of women's basketball and didn't have to compete with Title IX. Are you trying to argue that Coach Long isn't as good as Coach Barmore? That would be a weird argument.
    AG-
    I am in NO WAY trying to argue that Coach Long isn't as good a coach as Barmore. That would be an enormous waste of time and energy.

I was pointing out that with YOUTH and INEXPERIENCE Barmore STILL had a remarkable season.

Yes, Long doesn't have SOME of the obstacles that Barmore had. But Long has ridden the youth/inexperience line, as have others on this board, and I'm merely pointing out that youth and inexperience aren't necessarily the problem. Arguably, Boise and Fresno have LESS to work with than we do, if you believe the stats of the recruiting classes of last season and this season. Yet, we are struggling to finish THIRD in the bottom-dwelling WAC.

Youth and inexperience are, imo, an excuse for the real issue.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    What does Title 9 have to do with losing to Southern Piss, Arkansas Little Rock, NLULM warchickenwings, and Western Kentucky??

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    What does Title 9 have to do with losing to Southern Piss, Arkansas Little Rock, NLULM warchickenwings, and Western Kentucky??
    He is referencing the increase in recruiting and competition after Title 9. More programs had to invest and the big schools started pulling away from our recruiting and overall program size and strength.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    He is referencing the increase in recruiting and competition after Title 9. More programs had to invest and the big schools started pulling away from our recruiting and overall program size and strength.
    That's understandable. That's why I didn't include the other losses. Title 9 may be a piece of the pie, but it ain't a whole pie.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    That's understandable. That's why I didn't include the other losses. Title 9 may be a piece of the pie, but it ain't a whole pie.
    For those concerned with returning to a position of NATIONAL prominence, I think it may be the whole pie. Of the schools you listed, I think our budget may very well be behind all but ULM and UALR (and we may be behind them...I don't know). Title 9 forces ALL schools to spend equitably on their program...we have one of the lowest budgets in Division One. Until we get someone in here to improve those numbers, I don't see any real progress being made.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

While money is definitely an issue, money never equates completely to wins and losses. If it did, there would be a ton more schools competing for the National Championship every year. Money helps recruiting (impressing with facilities) and hiring coaches. If you have a top notch coach, you can get a LOT accomplished on a smaller budget. We did that even after Title 9 had those other schools investing more $$$. If you look at all the teams that spend a huge amount, you will find many of those programs below ours (yes, even this year). I can bet money that Alabama spends more and Oral Roberts (an elite eight school 2 years ago) spends less than us.

The key is getting girls to commit to our tradition and rebuilding what we had. It can still be done.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Down Re: Youth and Inexperience

The key is getting girls to commit to our tradition and rebuilding what we had. It can still be done.

NOT w/the current HC!!!!

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Man, it is really really sad to check the score of the Techsters games this year. It seems like we lost mot of our games, home and away. Our lady techsters are always something that I could brag about in the past. It hurts to see somethings that you're really proud of getting destroyed. Wake me up when we're getting a new head coach that can turn the program around.
    ________
    24 dicussion
    Last edited by latech; 04-29-2011 at 10:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread