+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kidd trade

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Kidd trade

The West getting even tougher. I am still not sure what I think about the Mavs trade for Jason Kidd, but I do know it was bumbled. Very un-Cuban like to not do his homework and know about Devin George having a no-trade option. And they should have told all the players involved (ESPECIALLY Stackhouse) to keep their mouths shut. I suppose it is going to cost Cuban now in dollars (because of having to use the Van Horn contract, which I think they were hoping not to have to do).

The Tech silver lining(for a Mavs fan) is that I keep hearing talk about trying to get P.J. Brown to replace Diop. That would be awesome and would sell me on the trade for sure.

I know Jay and BD13 have thoughts on this.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Kidd trade

Of interest, in this trade, the Mavs had to make room for Van Horn, Dallas released rookie Nick Fazekas.

I saw that, too. I wonder if they can re-sign him after Van Horn leaves (like, the second he signs)? They will get that spot on the roster back, right? Is there a waiver process in the NBA?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The West getting even tougher. I am still not sure what I think about the Mavs trade for Jason Kidd, but I do know it was bumbled. Very un-Cuban like to not do his homework and know about Devin George having a no-trade option. And they should have told all the players involved (ESPECIALLY Stackhouse) to keep their mouths shut. I suppose it is going to cost Cuban now in dollars (because of having to use the Van Horn contract, which I think they were hoping not to have to do).

The Tech silver lining(for a Mavs fan) is that I keep hearing talk about trying to get P.J. Brown to replace Diop. That would be awesome and would sell me on the trade for sure.

I know Jay and BD13 have thoughts on this.
    Cuban knew about the no trade clause. In fact Devin George had asked Cuban for a trade two weeks earlier due to a lack of PT. Cuban was totally sure he would go and George wanted to go and then Georges agent suddenly reversed course and told George it was a terrible trade because of his "Bird rights" and talked George into changing his mind. George listened to his agent and ended up staying. Cuban has been very complimentary of George since then, but has had some harsh words for Georges agent. This trade structured the way it is will cost Cuban 11 Million a year more than it would have as the trade was origianally structured.

As far as Stackhouse is concerned that was just a boneheaded move and Cuban and Donnie Nelson should have told him to shut the heck up. The only two words coming out of his mouth should have been "no comment."

For me the bottom line is if they win a title this year or next it was worth it. If not it was a bad trade. I hate losing Diop and Harris but that the way the ball bounces. They needed to shake things up.

I know San Antonio is loving this because Harris was one of the only PG's in the league that could defend Parker and he was so fast on offense he just gave San Antonio fits.

I'll say this though, a starting lineup that includes Erik Dampier, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd and Dirk can score and rebound with anybody. Kidd is going to make those guys so much better. Terry, Kidd and Howard can defend well. Dampier can actually defend big centers like Shaq, or a Greg Oden suprisingly well. He has a VERY, VERY hard time with smaller quicker centers like Amare Stoudamire and Dwight Howard.

I think the whole league is up for grabs right now and I could see Detroit, Boston, LA, Dallas, Phoenix or SA winning it all. I don't think Utah, New Orleans or Denver are going to win a title this year but they are good enough to knock out a title contender. The West is SO tough. The second half of the season and playoffs will be a lot of fun.

Any inside scoop on Brown? Norm Hitzges brings his name up all the time (and has for about a year). He also loves to mention Paul Milsap, by the way - and what a steal he was at his draft position.

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

What did Stackhouse say?

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall which talking heads I was watching on tv but I agree that this trade really doesn't put Dallas over the hump. I still think they needed some muscle and toughness but I don't really know where they would find it.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parisdog View Post
    What did Stackhouse say?
    He said, "I'll be back in 30 days, I'll just get to have a little rest now, I'm not going anywhere."

He's supposed to pretend that after he was let go by the Nets any team could bid for his services when in reality part of the deal was he would go to the Nets, get released, sit out 30 days (per NBA rules) and go right back to the Mavs. In other words he was just included so the trade would go through under salary cap rules, and was always gonna be a Maverick. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut and it would be fine.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

The biggest winner in this trade is Van horn. He gets over 4 million dollars to come out of retirement and just put on a uniform for 2 months. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    The biggest winner in this trade is Van horn. He gets over 4 million dollars to come out of retirement and just put on a uniform for 2 months. Not a bad gig if you can get it.
    No joke! I'd be willing to fly to New Jersey and get a check-up for 4 million bucks. Heck, I'd even be willing to watch a couple of Nets games from a front row seat on the bench to make it look good.

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

This Stackhouse thing sounds illegal. Would the NBA really allow this? So did Stackhouse stay a Maverick?

It is in the article. Several other GMs complained, so in order to avoid the chance that the NBA would disallow the trade he was kept out. To be fair to Stackhouse and the Mavs, it could (or could be spun as) a case of him connecting the dots on his own. Reporters asked him about the trade and he guessed that the Nets would release him - and Dallas re-sign him. It wasn't necessarily a condition of the trade (although - come on, of course it was). The NBA salary cap set up is so jacked up, I figure they get what they deserve when teams jump through loop-holes so big. The Stackhouse deal is no worse than the whole sign and trade set-up on "retired" players.

Quote Originally Posted by parisdog View Post
    This Stackhouse thing sounds illegal. Would the NBA really allow this? So did Stackhouse stay a Maverick?

It would have been illegal so they dis-allowed the original trade. That's why this whole thing dragged out so long. Stackhouse is still a Maverick and they inserted Van Horn and Trenton Hassell in Stackhouse and George's place.

Edit: I didn't see Inudesu had already done a good job explaining this.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd's first game wasn't exactly what they had hoped for. I only mention this because some guy on espn "First Take" said Kidd would get his "butt kicked" because he was going up against Chris Paul and the Hornets. After hearing the results this morning, I think he was right.

+ Reply to Thread