+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAC vs PC

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Re: MAC vs PC

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Here's the ultimate thread. Lindsey is trading in her PC (HP should stand for Horrible Product) and she has an option of going to a MAC right now. I'm looking for people that know about Mac's since I've never used one, never upgraded one, and have ZERO experience with them.

T-Mo, JFord, Donald, other graphics/photographers: I especially want your opinion as she is starting up her own photography stuff and would be most likely using this for picture editing and storing of pictures.

So a few questions about the following:
    1. Software (antivirus/spyware protection, photo editing software, internet, money managing {Quicken}, instant messaging)
    2. Hardware replacement (If something goes out, can I go to newegg and just plug in the new part?)
    3. Upgradability (processor, RAM, hard drive)
    4. Will it be obsolete in 2 months like PC's??
    Finally, for what she's going to be using it for, would YOU buy a MAC or PC??
    Talk to me about it this weekend.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I've been a Mac guy since I got my acceptance letter to Tech. I've NEVER had a virus and never had to ship anything back to Apple to get it fixed. My first Mac (G4) lasted 6 years and could've gone longer had I wanted to upgrade its bits and pieces (I don't know much about that kind of stuff). My MacBook is a year and a half old and I've never had a problem with it. My MacMini works as well as it did when it first came out of the box...it just turned three.

Oh, and Macs are great for people like me who don't know jack about what goes on inside a computer...very idiot proof.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Macs don't go obsolete as quick as Windows (a Mac is a PC too, I hate the Mac vs PC nomenclature). I worked on dozens of Macs and Windows boxes at Tech as a student, and with machines bought at the same time, the Macs lasted years longer.
    Explain please. How do PCs become obsolete quicker than Macs? Observation from a someone whose primary system isn't good enough evidence either. I have worked on both types of systems since I started using a lab that had Apple IIe's & Tandy's and I have to call you on this one. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just want to see what you are basing your statement on.

Also, as far as the PC nomenclature... I wonder who is perpetuating that... hmmm...
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Puppy viperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the roughviperhawk is a jewel in the rough viperhawk's Avatar

I'm with jford. Talk to him this weekend about it. He's got your answer for you. This usually turns into a toothless redneck Ford/Chevy war.

I work as a Network Administrator in Ruston now but managed a recording studio for five years. I also worked as a freelance recording engineer for three years and did contract audio mixing/mastering jobs from a number of studios around the state. I've had experience (very extensive regarding audio/visual) with both for ten years and my preference boils down to one factor...dependability. Both are dependable when you're at home in your underwear and it doesn't matter. One will let you down after a high-dollar live concert recording (and more than once...and not the same machine/configuration). I switched and never went back...couldn't afford to.

You can pretty much disregard any comparisons that are based on pre-2003 information. They don't really matter anymore and are a waste of type. Save yourself the risk of CTS

(Ok, Ok....here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/c....htm#102453049)

JFord can explain my reasons to you.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Big Grin Re: MAC vs PC

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWi9xAAxOWE

MAC vs PC, southpark style.

Puppy linds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the ears linds_Marie's Avatar

Apple released their newest upgraded macbooks and macbook pros! How wonderful! just in time for my purchase!!

I think I've made my choice. I plan to get the middle grade macbook. I was originally wanting to go after the macbook pro but after much thinking and research and talking.. I think I've come to realize the macbook will be sufficent for my needs. The newly released macbook that I plan to get now has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo!! and more memory!

Now I just have to wait till best buy offeres the newly released ones. Right now they are still selling the old version for the same price..

I cant wait!!

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linds_Marie View Post
    Apple released their newest upgraded macbooks and macbook pros! How wonderful! just in time for my purchase!!

I think I've made my choice. I plan to get the middle grade macbook. I was originally wanting to go after the macbook pro but after much thinking and research and talking.. I think I've come to realize the macbook will be sufficent for my needs. The newly released macbook that I plan to get now has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo!! and more memory!

Now I just have to wait till best buy offeres the newly released ones. Right now they are still selling the old version for the same price..

I cant wait!!
    Have you checked on the online Apple store? You may even be able to get an education discount.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Have you checked on the online Apple store? You may even be able to get an education discount.
    We can't use the Best Buy credit of $1500 if we go through the Apple Store.

I tried to convince her to go cheap and buy me a PS3.....

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    We can't use the Best Buy credit of $1500 if we go through the Apple Store.

I tried to convince her to go cheap and buy me a PS3.....

Dude, you better take care of that girl!

Puppy linds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the ears linds_Marie's Avatar

well, I did it.. its now official. I just ordered my Macbook.. 2.4 GHz processor... tried to buy it online.. and it told me I would have to pay shipping and handleing.. and it wouldnt be leaving their warehouse for 1-2 weeks do to it being backordered. so i went in to the store to see if getting them to order it would get me out of paying shipping... and NOT only did it get me out of paying for shipping.. Its due to arrive at my house in one week! I'm excited! I feel relieved.. Hopefully I made the right choice.. I feel that I did.. Its good knowing I dont have to stress about this anymore!

thanks guys for all your input!
    -Lindsey

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linds_Marie View Post
    well, I did it.. its now official. I just ordered my Macbook.. 2.4 GHz processor... tried to buy it online.. and it told me I would have to pay shipping and handleing.. and it wouldnt be leaving their warehouse for 1-2 weeks do to it being backordered. so i went in to the store to see if getting them to order it would get me out of paying shipping... and NOT only did it get me out of paying for shipping.. Its due to arrive at my house in one week! I'm excited! I feel relieved.. Hopefully I made the right choice.. I feel that I did.. Its good knowing I dont have to stress about this anymore!

thanks guys for all your input!
    -Lindsey
    Congratulations!! I thought you'd choose the apple, as I've been following your thread. Me, I've never actually owned an apple computer, though I've been actually thrilled with owning aapl stock; at least for the past couple of years or so. Just finished giving it all away this past year to an endowed scholarship fund (I didn't really own that much, unfortunately for the endowed fund).

Q??

Would the online order have charged you sales tax ?? If not, would it have offset the shipping cost ??

Just curious. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Congratulations!! I thought you'd choose the apple, as I've been following your thread. Me, I've never actually owned an apple computer, though I've been actually thrilled with owning aapl stock; at least for the past couple of years or so. Just finished giving it all away this past year to an endowed scholarship fund (I didn't really own that much, unfortunately for the endowed fund).

Q??

Would the online order have charged you sales tax ?? If not, would it have offset the shipping cost ??

Just curious. TIA
    Actually yes. When I went to go order it online they made me enter my zip code and they added in sales tax as well as the shipping cost. I didnt get out of paying tax either way but I did save on the shipping .. which I found out later would have only been 20 dollars.. BUT I would have also had to wait 2-3 weeks longer.. whereas doing it through the store enabled me to have to arrive at my house next week. Not really sure how all that works.. I'm guessing since they are so new they have them reserved for the stores use.. and online its backordered.. I'm not sure. All I know is its COMING next week!! yah!!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I knew when I started this thread that she wanted an Apple and was pretty set on getting one. She was listening to the people that were telling her that Apple's are made directly from God and PC is the devil.

At least now she knows that PC's can hold their own, but it mostly comes down to personal preference.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

*insert token "RUN LINUX" comment here*

Really, these days, it just doesn't matter what OS you have, in large part. How often do you use anything other than your web browser? Even music and photo applications are integrated into most every cross-OS browser at this point.

Unless Linds Marie is a huge Gamer and I missed this at some point. I can totally see Doc throwing down some mean W.O.W.

Grats on your Mac

+ Reply to Thread