+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hawaii

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Hawaii

http://latechsports.cstv.com/sports/...08/tech28.html

Box Score shows 21 fouls called on us and 20 fouls on them.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Like most of the East Coast & Central Standard timers ( don't forget to set your clocks forward Saturday night - there's my PSA for the month!! ), I couldn't stay w/the game but at least it sounds like the team stayed competitive w/Hawaii despite the loss of the ( probable ) WAC POY Jo. Almost sounds like she's taken a page from Karl's playbook & swings her elbows out while rebounding. Not grounds for ejection, IMHO but as I've stated many times before, I'm not ( nor have I ever been ) a basketball player. Wish Phil could weigh in here but not sure he watched the game?
    BTW - I've noticed that in almost every game thread we have at least one person who bitches about the refs. In this game it was latech & w/Nevada & Utah State it was tigtoo30. Now I'm not doubting these fans but after it's all over the game stats generally bear out an evenly called game. In fact, in both the Nevada & Utah games the Techsters were called for FEWER fouls than their opponents! Heck, in the San Jose State game SJS had over twice the number of fouls as we did ( 26 vs 12 ) but I don't recall any complaints about the calls there. Granted, it's not always the number of fouls called but who was called ( like Jo last night ) or when in the game they're called ( early in the game tends to be less critical ). I guess my point ( do I actually have one?? ) is that blaming the refs game after game is a cop-out, IMHO. No, I'm NOT gonna trash CL ( totally, anyway ) for this loss but we WERE already down 30-24 when Jo went out ( at almost halftime ) so our/his pattern of getting behind early continues. I'm seeing a season-long ( how appropriate!! ) MO here!! Well, at least he's consistent at something!!
    Dang!! I was doing SO good at not using emoticons until the end of my rant!!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    [qu
    ote=fanfromafar;589873]I'll agree that we're struggling. I won't agree that it's due to the refs.

Fan
    We may still pull this off, but this is an embarrassment.
    Fan, Malcolm Butler says it has to be the worst oficiating he has ever seen
    and yet you don't think it's the refs?
    ... Go Techsters![/QUOTE]

Yep, worst officiated game he has seen....BUT HE DIDN'T SAY IT WAS ALL AGAINST THE TECHSTERS. The officiating was bad on both sides.

The Sneed issue was, imo, an over-reaction. That said, Jo has to be frustrated. She plays with everything she's got, while substitutions are made that make no sense, and game after game after sloppy game it seems no one will consistently step up to match what she's giving.

This was typical of this season.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Like most of the East Coast & Central Standard timers ( don't forget to set your clocks forward Saturday night - there's my PSA for the month!! ), I couldn't stay w/the game but at least it sounds like the team stayed competitive w/Hawaii despite the ( probable ) WAC POY Jo. Almost sounds like she's taken a page from Karl's playbook & swings her elbows out while rebounding. Not grounds for ejection, IMHO but as I've stated many times before, I'm not ( nor have I ever been ) a basketball player. Wish Phil could weigh in here but not sure he watched the game?
    BTW - I've noticed that in almost every game thread we have at least one person who bitches about the refs. In this game it was latech & w/Nevada & Utah State it was tigtoo30. Now I'm not doubting these fans but after it's all over the game stats generally bear out an evenly called game. In fact, in both the Nevada & Utah games the Techsters were called for FEWER fouls than their opponents! Heck, in the San Jose State game SJS had over twice the number of fouls as we did ( 26 vs 12 ) but I don't recall any complaints about the calls there. Granted, it's not always the number of fouls called but who was called ( like Jo last night ) or when in the game they're called ( early in the game tends to be less critical ). I guess my point ( do I actually have one?? ) is that blaming the refs game after game is a cop-out, IMHO. No, I'm NOT gonna trash CL ( totally, anyway ) for this loss but we WERE already down 30-24 when Jo went out ( at almost halftime ) so our/his pattern of getting behind early continues. I'm seeing a season-long ( how appropriate!! ) MO here!! Well, at least he's consistent at something!!
    Dang!! I was doing SO good at not using emoticons until the end of my rant!!
    Hey now....don't be calling me out. I was watching the USU game and my rants were mainly in the first half, when they were pushing us down, and jumping over our backs on rebounds with no calls, and then they call us for hand checks. The 2nd half was called much closer. And you're right, the begining of the game, refs can be less critical.

BUT, don't be calling me out....just yelling my heart out for the team, and refs in general are an easy way to have a little fun. You should see me at an actual game.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Big Grin Re: Hawaii

Tig - I'm sorry if it sounded like I was calling ya out because I wasn't! In fact, U being able to actually see the game IS an insight for those of us who couldn't!! Like FFA says, as long as the calls suck EQUALLY against both teams, it's all relative.
    BTW - how do U not end up being a Lady Vol fan considering where U live?? Man, my ex was from Knoxville & I ALWAYS got hammered these last 10 years. :bigcry: Of course, we weren't married back when WE kicked their butts - d*****!!!!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-07-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Champion,
    From what I could tell over the internet was that Jo grabbed a rebound and was attacked by four of the Hawaii players and when I say attacked it was just that. They went in hacking and pushing and shoving her trying to get the ball away and when she cleared them out the officials threw her out of the game.
    The officials had no control of the game at any point and it was obvious to everyone that was in attendance and listening that no matter what the foul ratio shows in the box scores it was a homered game.
    I think it was pretty smart coaching on the Hawaii part, he sent them in to cause an altercation and knowing that the officials would be watching with interest to get her out of the game they got their wish.
    There were several other calls that were blatant as in balls going off Hawaii players in front of officials and them giving the ball back to Hawaii. I also heard several trip no calls, it was football on a basketball court for Hawaii and we had to play with the regular set of rules.
    We still should have won the game, the officials did their best to even up the fouls in the second half so that it didn't look one sided but we failed to make the free throws.
    I hope we get them again in the WAC tournament on a neutral floor and lets see who can be the most physical when they are off the island. They never play physical unless they are at home and we all know why that is. They get away with it there due to the home grown officials.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

haha...I always go after the refs when I have a chance to go to the game. Like tig said, they are easy and open targets for fan . If you listened to the game last night, you could tell how horrible the refs were by Malcolm's voice . He got so frustrated and at some point, just started laughing at the way they called the game.
    We had a chance to win the game last night, when we cut the lead down to 3 points. We failed to connect our FTs and that gave HI a good 2 minutes with us scoring only 3 points instead of 8.
    Anyway, we hope Techsters will play better when it comes to the tourney.
    ________
    Yamaha cs2x specifications
    Last edited by latech; 04-29-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Tig - I'm sorry if it sounded like I was calling ya out because I wasn't! In fact, U being able to actually see the game IS an insight for those of us who couldn't!! Like FFA says, as long as the calls suck EQUALLY against both teams, it's all relative.
    BTW - how do U not end up being a Lady Vol fan considering where U live?? Man, my ex was from Knoxville & I ALWAYS got hammered these last 10 years. :bigcry: Of course, we weren't married back when WE kicked their butts - d*****!!!!
    No problem, just pulling your leg Gene.

I could never be a Lady Vol fan. It's too ingrained in my blood that they are the enemy. However, I do secretly pull for the UTC Lady Mocs (or Chattanooga as they are known by ESPN). They just won their 8th straight(I think) SoCon title, and will probably be in the dance again. I like the smaller schools in general...underdog factor I guess.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    Champion,
    From what I could tell over the internet was that Jo grabbed a rebound and was attacked by four of the Hawaii players and when I say attacked it was just that. They went in hacking and pushing and shoving her trying to get the ball away and when she cleared them out the officials threw her out of the game.
    The officials had no control of the game at any point and it was obvious to everyone that was in attendance and listening that no matter what the foul ratio shows in the box scores it was a homered game.
    I think it was pretty smart coaching on the Hawaii part, he sent them in to cause an altercation and knowing that the officials would be watching with interest to get her out of the game they got their wish.
    There were several other calls that were blatant as in balls going off Hawaii players in front of officials and them giving the ball back to Hawaii. I also heard several trip no calls, it was football on a basketball court for Hawaii and we had to play with the regular set of rules.
    We still should have won the game, the officials did their best to even up the fouls in the second half so that it didn't look one sided but we failed to make the free throws.
    I hope we get them again in the WAC tournament on a neutral floor and lets see who can be the most physical when they are off the island. They never play physical unless they are at home and we all know why that is. They get away with it there due to the home grown officials.

Thanks Phil and thanks for all the other opinions. Most of us know the way Hawaii plays football and their "bad boy" reputation. This doesn't surprise me one bit, although, I am a little shocked that it turned into an ejection and not just a technical.

Didn't really matter in the whole scheme of things, though. We are in 5th place and should finish there. Possibly could have come in 4th, but it wouldn't have mattered, since the 4 and 5 teams play in the first round .

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Since I neither watched nor listened to the game, I am in no position to comment on the officiating. My comment is that the Techsters haven't won more than two games in a row this entire season. They continued that record against UH on Thursday night. Hawaii, due to its geographic location in the middle of the Pacific Ocean should not be allowed to compete in any conference. If a university ever deserved to be an independent, it is them. They should have to play all of their games on the road. No one should have to travel to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean to play any sport. I suppose that the WAC will figure out a way to include Alaska next.

One has to wonder exactly where the officials come from. Are they residents of the islands or does UH pay their expenses from the mainland to the island for every game. If the officials always come from the islands, this sucks.

With all that said, the good Techster teams won in Hawaii. Its this team and this coach that can't seem to get it done.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Is Chris Long still the head coach of the Techsters??

+ Reply to Thread