+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Coach Dooleys Moment - Ruston Leader article

Big Dog LongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the rough LongtimeDawgfan's Avatar

It's Coach Dooleys Moment - Ruston Leader article

It’s Coach Dooley’s moment
    Stakeholders have high expectations of new Tech AD
    Nick Todaro, Reporter
    03-07-2008

Many who are glad to have Derek Dooley step into the open position at the head of Louisiana Tech’s athletic department agree he can’t do it alone.

Dooley, ending his first year as Tech’s head football coach, was announced Thursday as the university’s pick to fill the shoes of outgoing Athletic Director Jim Oakes, who resigned in January but will stay on until July. The recommendation to give Dooley the post requires state-level board approval before it is final.

Dooley himself noted the challenge that stands before him — balancing two important jobs while raising the all-important funding that will make or break Tech athletics in the coming seasons.

“We have to increase revenue in all areas,” Dooley said to the crowd of media, officials and onlookers gathered Thursday. “And we have to develop new streams of revenue.”
    He said achieving his goals will require more than a roadmap.

“We need sound judgment in hiring and budget-setting,” he said. “And we have to have an aggressive push for upgrades to facilities.”

James Liberatos, dean of the college of applied and natural sciences at Tech and chairman of the Athletics Council, likened it to his job as a dean.

“You’ve got to have clear lines of who’s in charge of what,” Liberatos said. “That’s how we run a college, and that’s what (President Dan Reneau) does with the deans.”
    But, Liberatos said, he has no doubt in Dooley’s leadership.

“It’s exciting,” he said. “You can’t be a successful coach without good leadership skills. You have to surround yourself with very competent people and then give them the authority to do their jobs.”

Lincoln Parish Park director James Ramsaur said he’s behind Dooley and waiting to see how the coach adjusts to his dual role.
    “My father taught at Tech so I was raised on Tech athletics,” Ramsaur said. “And I think Dooley’s great for Tech, from what I’ve seen of him so far. My hope is that he’s here for the long haul, not just for three years and then he leaves.”

Businessman Bob James said he feels Dooley’s appointment would be a positive step.
    “Someone who has his energy, knowledage and ability — people are going to follow and support that,” James said. “The key is going to be that he has the right staff.”

Adam McGuirt, director of the CHAMPS athletics fundraising group, said Dooley will serve well as a face for Tech athletics, but he also pointed to the need for strong support.
    “There’s no doubt in my mind that he has what it takes,” McGuirt said.

“The key is who you hire to work with him. He has more passion and intensity than anybody I’ve met. He’s magnetic, and that’s what we need.”

Ruston-Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau President Kyle Edmiston said he was looking ahead to the Aug. 30 season opener against Mississippi State and other opportunities to work with Dooley on making money for the program and the parish.
    “There’s a handful of people who can handle this,” Edmiston said of the responsibility of coaching and directing an athletics program. “And he certainly can.”

Kerry Rupp, men’s basketball coach for Tech, said Dooley’s vision for where Tech needs to be is exciting.

“He’s another coach who understands the importance of having a great program as a whole,” Rupp said. ‘I think it’s great.”

Varsity Bulldog East Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the ears East Coast Dawg's Avatar

Re: It's Coach Dooleys Moment - Ruston Leader article

All things , great and small, have been accomplished by someone or some group that have been just stupid enough not to listen to all the people telling them that it cant be done. I think DD and the people he is surrounding himself with are just of that mindset. I say sit your butt back on the bench and get out of the way, or get out on the field and pitch in and help. I for one am excited about what is going to happen.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

Re: It's Coach Dooleys Moment - Ruston Leader article

I am right there with you East Coast Dawg. Coach Dooley is the perfect person at the perfect time to change the course of Louisiana Tech. He will need our help even more than before. I suspect he will do some unconventional things that would not have previously set with the party line in Ruston. Maybe we can help him by showing our support at every opportunity. Just as folks brought signs to games about the previous AD we may have to bring signs or make calls or write checks or whatever it takes that enables him to accomplish his plan.

I actually get goose bumps thinking about the possibilities and I think there are incredible things that could happen. I recall back having talked to one of my relatives that works with the staff at Tech and they said that he is so used to asking for and getting what he needed when he was at LSU. When he asked at Tech, they would push back on him and he would go over their heads or around them to get it. Now that he is in charge he can just make those things happen. Money will be the issue but someone with the class, style, and the charisma of Dooley he can get those that used to hold out when the previous AD was here to be able step up. I think most of these folks that held back likely did so because they did not see the fire in the previous AD or our administration. Likely they thought their contribution would not be a good investment. Now, especially after a couple of small changes accomplished, I think Coach Dooley can show what he has done and plans to do and they will jump right in to be part of the movement. As you can tell I really do believe we are headed in a great direction and I am proud to be able to say that I will be a part of it.

Lee has a good list of things that Coach Dooley has been able to accomplish in his short time here and all were hard earned on Coach Dooley's part. Longer term as we help him and he brings those concerned back into the fold we have much more that can and will be done. What I expect of Dooley is for him to reach out to us and also seek help from those who have been disenfranchised from the prior administration. We have many alumni that do not currently contribute and that need to be appraoached and engaged.

http://www.latechreport.com/news.php?id=317

Think about these bigger changes...done since Coach Dooley got here...
    • new look, first class apparel, nike contract, new shoes
    • academic support for football position
    • assistant strenght coach position added
    • added budget for supplements for weight training
    • $500,000 renovation of the locker room done in four months
    • upgraded our meeting rooms to make them functional and cleaned up the field house to be more of a business atmosphere.
    • improved relationship with the high school coaches which will help us down the road
    • we are going to build a facility that will be unreal and things are going to get done

+ Reply to Thread