+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two Issues...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Two Issues...

At the risk of being ridiculed like I usually am why I ask stuff:icon_wink:...

#1 - My daughter is a Tech student. She stayed on campus Fall and Winter, but has moved home for the Spring. Well sort of...she actually lives just down the street with her grandparents. Here's the deal...she uses wireless Internet and as long as she is using her computer in our home she had excellent service, but does not get service down the street at her grandparents home. Any suggestions other than just getting Comcast service installed?

#2 - I've had an AOL account for over ten years. I know, I should have gotten rid of it years ago. I'm still paying $17.95/mo that could be put to much better use. Somebody that has been through this please tell me the easiest way to make the transition. I've heard horror stories of folks trying to cancel AOL.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Two Issues...

I cancelled AOL service but kept my email address. No problems.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    #2 - I've had an AOL account for over ten years. I know, I should have gotten rid of it years ago. I'm still paying $17.95/mo that could be put to much better use. Somebody that has been through this please tell me the easiest way to make the transition. I've heard horror stories of folks trying to cancel AOL.
    If you call and threaten to cancel cuz you're not getting the same $9.95 AOL rate as your good buddy, then they might lower your AOL rate. That's how I got mine lowered.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    If you call and threaten to cancel cuz you're not getting the same $9.95 AOL rate as your good buddy, then they might lower your AOL rate. That's how I got mine lowered.
    I figured they would negotiate, but the service is horrible nowdays anyway. I get a terrible lag when logged on through Comcast.

No ideas on the wireless internet thing? Any idea what service we are hitting in Indian Lakes?

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I figured they would negotiate, but the service is horrible nowdays anyway. I get a terrible lag when logged on through Comcast.

No ideas on the wireless internet thing? Any idea what service we are hitting in Indian Lakes?
    Maybe one of your close neighbors has a router w/o password protection enabled ??

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

I think Indian Lakes is Comcast. Is she pirating her wireless service? I live in Monroe in the garden district and I can connect to 4 or 5 different wireless networks at anytime from my laptop. They aren't nearly as fast as the connection that I pay for in my own house. If she is using others connections, she is sharing bandwidth and fighting interference.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTUIronDawg View Post
    ...Is she pirating her wireless service?...
    If she is, you can bet she learned it from her daddy.

Maddawg, pls stay with the AOL. I still bother to own some TimeWarner-AOL stock, and we really appreciate you loyal long-time customers.

If you insist on dropping it, though; been there, done that. It was my daughter's account, which was being charged to my plastic while she was in college. Took me two phone calls and an extra month's billing which I didn't think was deserved; but, now that I've gotten past the blood-pressure-rising experience, it really wasn't so bad ??

Stick with the AOL, maddawg. Hell, $17.95/mo. is chump-change for a dude like u-self. :icon_wink:

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    If she is, you can bet she learned it from her daddy.
    and they call me an outlaw . . . .. .

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

#1 - My daughter is a Tech student. She stayed on campus Fall and Winter, but has moved home for the Spring. Well sort of...she actually lives just down the street with her grandparents. Here's the deal...she uses wireless Internet and as long as she is using her computer in our home she had excellent service, but does not get service down the street at her grandparents home. Any suggestions other than just getting Comcast service installed?
    Just to clarify, she is staying at the grandparents house and using YOUR network?? If so, you can always purchase a wireless range extender. This should help. (if she can't get onto your parents network, then there is other issues)

There are also little "tricks" to get the router to focus a better signal in a 180 degree radius. Let me redo the research and see if I can find out what it was again.
    SHAME, SHAME for having AO-smell. Please don't tell me that you're still on dialup. If that's the case, AT MINIMUM upgrade to DSL lite.

No Doc, I'm not still on dial up. But I was up until Comcast finally offered a fair price for their service. I just never got around to cancelling AOL.

Sounds like she/we are unintentionally pirating from someone else's wireless service. I think I'll spring for the $12.95/mo and get Comcast for her down the street at the Grandparent's home since they don't have neighbors who live close enough to steal from.:icon_wink:

Hey! Now I'm saving $5/mo!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Progress
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

www.latechchamps.com

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post

+ Reply to Thread