+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Article on LA Tech Women's Basketball

Puppy dawgbish isn't thought very highly of around heredawgbish isn't thought very highly of around heredawgbish isn't thought very highly of around heredawgbish isn't thought very highly of around heredawgbish isn't thought very highly of around here

Article on LA Tech Women's Basketball

This was a nice article that was in the Ruston Newspaper. It certainly gives us lots of hope for the future:

Techsters tough it out
    Can the program regain its dominance?
    O.K. "Buddy" Davis, buddy@rustonleader.com
    03-09-2008

If head coach Chris Long didn’t know any better, he might think a player named Murphy was on the roster for Louisiana Tech University’s Lady Techsters.

Because in this 2007-08 season, the Murphy’s Law concept has been prevalent: If anything can go wrong, it probably will.

For a once-dominating program that could practically walk out on the floor and scare the sneakers off their opponents, it’s been one obstacle or mishap after another since the season tipped off back in November.

Or one turnover, missed shot or mishandled rebound.

Or an injury.

Or an overload of youth and inexperience.

All of which has added up to a stress-inducing, baffling and — yes — disappointing season for Long, his players and loyal fan base.

‘Toughest year’

”This has been the toughest year of my professional life,” said Long, who is winding down his third season at the helm. “I know I’ve worked harder and looked at more film than at any other time in my career. It’s all about weathering the storm. I really feel that with the recruits we’ve got coming in, this program can get back to where it belongs.”

Going into a Western Athletic Conference series this week at Hawaii and San Jose State, the Techsters were facing a once unthinkable situation: The possibility of a losing record for the regular season.

The 13 losses that Tech carried into this week matched last year’s total for the most ever suffered in a single campaign — regular or overall — since the program began in 1974.

Accentuating a rare double-digit defeat total for the Techsters have been six setbacks at home, including a rough stretch in December at the Thomas Assembly Center when four consecutive L’s were registered, one of them being against I-20 nemesis Louisiana-Monroe.

Usually accustomed to being at the top of the standings in conference play, the Techsters have found themselves this season in the middle of the WAC pack and being one of the pursuers, rather than the pursued.

National top 25 rankings?

No longer.

Save for winning the championship of this week’s WAC postseason tournament, the Techsters could be sitting out the NCAA playoffs for the second year in a row. Had that possibility been mentioned only five years ago, it would have been cause for puzzled looks and a “yea, right” reply.

At times, this season has been unsettling enough to make the most avid and loyal Lady Techsters fan want to mumble some unprintable words to the red and blue banner he or she might be waving for the team.

“It’s been tough, very tough,” said Monroe’s David Creed, who has followed the program religiously since 1981. “Sometimes this year, it’s been difficult to watch a game. But I’m not about to give up on them. I am going to keep supporting them and I’m going to keep renewing my season tickets.”

High expectations

Given the incredible milestone and record-setting success the Lady Techsters have enjoyed through the years, the vast majority of programs in the nation would gladly swap places and endure their current struggles.

It’s just that with the Techsters, winning and winning often has come to be expected.
    Remember, we’re talking about a program that won the last Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women national title, the first NCAA national championship, totaled the third most wins (65) in NCAA tourney history and made it to 13 Final Fours.

Anything less than winning conference championships and reaching the NCAA tourney is considered by many as a season gone awry for the Lady Techsters.

“The expectations have always been very high here,” said long-time Techsters fan Carolyn Ashley of Delhi. “I understand that, and it’s part of being the great program that Tech always has been. But I also think that, when your team is going through some tough times, that’s when you need to support them even more. I really have more of a problem with fans who might quit coming to games because they’re not winning as much as I do with how our team might be playing.”

Even with that first-ever “no show” in last year’s NCAA tournament, the Techsters entered this season with high hopes. After a sluggish start in 2006-07, where they lost nine of their first nine games, they rallied back to take 15 wins in their last 21 games and went on to share their 15th regular season conference title.

The respect was still there, too, in the preseason polls. Despite not having a single starter back from the 17-13 club of last year and with seven underclassmen on the roster, Tech was a consensus runner-up choice in the WAC race.

“You always go into a season believing you can have success and that’s how we felt, even though so many of us were new to each other and we were so young,” said Techsters senior guard Nastassja Levingston. “Once the season began, we saw that the inexperience and youth that we had could make it tougher for us to achieve some of the things we wanted.”

Youth will be served

Of the 338 NCAA Division I programs fielding women’s basketball, Tech went into the season as the most inexperienced. There were only four career starts by roster members.

In the category of using underclassmen, the Techsters have ranked in the nation’s top 28 for most minutes played by first- and second-year players, further accentuating the plight that accompanies the reliance on youth.

Combine that with injuries suffered by two projected starters within less than two months of each other, and it quickly decreased any high aspirations the Techsters might have envisioned when preseason workouts began in October.

“On the second day of our preseason practice, Sidney Stewart suffers a knee injury,” Long recalled about the highly touted freshman from DeMascus, Ark., who was scheduled as a starting guard. “She misses all of our preseason.”

On Dec. 8, as the final seconds tick down on a home loss against the University of Southern Mississippi, Baylor University transfer and former West Monroe High all-stater Whitney Jones suffers a season-ending knee injury that further depletes an already decimated guard position.

“You’re talking about a player who had scored 16 points in the second half against Tennessee, then the No. 1 team in the nation,” Long said. “That’s the caliber of player we lost when Whitney was hurt and had to sit out the remainder of the season.”

The injuries also made an immediate impact on minutes played per game.

“We’ve had to play some freshmen and sophomores 30 or more minutes a game, whereas they would have normally played probably around 15 or 20, at the most,” Long said. “Again, it figures into the inexperience factor of this year’s team.”

Frustrating losses

It would be understandable if Long, the WAC Coach of the Year award winner in 2006, thought somebody had placed a black cat in the team’s locker room after the near-coinciding events regarding Stewart and Jones.

It would seem to be a bad omen for what would transpire over the next several months, among them a disappointing, uninspiring defeat to the University of Louisiana-Monroe at the Thomas Assembly Center in mid-December. The Warhawks out-hustled their I-20 nemesis much of that night. The loss was in the middle part of a four-game home stretch in which other defeats were administered by USM, Mississippi State and LSU.

Shortly afterward, a road defeat occurred against the University of Arkansas-Little Rock.
    “Those were frustrating losses against ULM and UALR, because our fans have come to expect us beating those teams,” Levingston said. “It hurt us to lose because usually we’re winning those games.

“But I think a lot of what happened to us earlier in the season was because we were young and still learning how to play together and as one team. It’s taken a while for so many new players, so many young players especially, to get used to each other and what needs to be done in order to get better.”

Teammate and WAC Player of the Year candidate Jo Sneed agreed.

“This season has not only been frustrating, it’s also been a big learning experience for all of us. I know some of the fans might not understand it at times, but it takes a while for players to get used to each other, know what we are going to do in certain situations and how to react to certain things. I think, overall, we’ve made some progress and that we’re playing better basketball now because of having learned about each other.”

Late season surge?

The Techsters went into this week with a streak of three straight wins and four out of their last five, two of the victories having boosted the team to an 8-6 mark against WAC opponents.

Said Jim Oakes, the university’s athletic director: “Successful teams are remembered for how they finish, not how they start. Our team appears to be peaking at the right time as we head into the final weeks of the season.”

Rather than dwell on what happened earlier in the season, Levingston is more concerned about making the best of what remains this season.

“We’re always thinking about what’s ahead of us and down the road,” said the former Ruston High School star. “I know it’s been very disappointing, some of the games we’ve lost and how this season has come along, but you can’t dwell on the past. For whatever reason — youth or inexperience or injuries — we’ve got to move on and keep trying. As a team, we all realize that our fans expect a lot out of the program and want the best. So do we. It’s been tough on us and very frustrating, but we’ve got to keep pushing forward.”

At the same time the Techsters have been going through some down times, the rest of the women’s hoops world has continued its upgrading process. Where once the sport was resigned to a handful of consistently viable contenders for a Final Four trip, now the landscape ranges from not only well-known schools such as Tennessee and Connecticut, but also to the likes of Marist and Texas-El Paso.

According to a national survey conducted after the 2006-07 season, Tech ranked No. 198 in the country for women’s basketball budgets.

Improved conference

When Tech entered the WAC in 2001, the consensus among head coaches and other athletic officials at the time was that the addition of the perennial powerhouse would make everybody else better.

Advance the video to 2008 and, sure enough, that is exactly what has happened. The playing field has continued to level out in the WAC.

“I’ve seen it with several teams we’ve played,” Sneed said. “Boise State has gotten better ever year, and New Mexico State has improved. This year’s San Jose State team is better than last year’s. Every team in the WAC, it seems, is getting better. I think Tech has helped make everybody better.”

And while his team has been in the top two slots of the weekly standings since the league battles tipped off in January, Fresno State head coach Adrien Wiggins believes that “you’ve got any one of several teams who have the potential to win our tournament.

“You put Tech in there and several others, and it could go to any one of them. That’s the type of balanced conference that we’ve become.”

Long can attest to the improvement, having first landed at Tech in the very year (2001) the university entered the conference.

“From top to bottom, the league as a whole has gotten better,” he said. “The athleticism, overall, has really improved.”

And to keep improving, of course, one of the major keys is recruiting.

Talented recruits

Tech’s talent pool has been overall weak from the recruiting classes stretching from 2003 to 2005 — only one player signed during that time would have been a potential roster member this season, while four others transferred. But, an upgrade is on the horizon.

Five recruits in the Long era have won Most Valuable Player awards in their states and four in the 2008 class are set to arrive on campus with gaudy credentials, the foremost being five-star point guard Jasmine Bendolph.

At a position that has been arguably the weakest for the Techsters this season, Bendolph could be the very recipe for success.

The 5’7” playmaker from Mobile’s Davidson High led her team to the Class 6-A title game as a freshman and sophomore, was named as the state’s Player of the Year during her third season and has been labeled as an All-American by several national publications.

“She’s an unbelievable point guard,” Long said. “She’s an amazing ball handler, the type who, I guarantee you, is going to have fans ooh and ahhing when they see her play. She can make us instantly better at the position the minute she steps on campus.”

Tech has also signed up two other Alabama prep standouts in Kiara Young of Rogersville and DeAngela Sword of Montgomery.

Both of those recruits should also bring relief to the backcourt area, where inconsistency with outside shooting has been one of the major reasons for Tech’s offensive struggles this season.

“You put those types of players in with Adrienne Johnson, Whitney Jones, Tarkeisha Wysinger and others we will have coming back, and it makes for a bright future,” Long said.

And while that future could be bright for the Techsters, their head coach also knows that “we’ve got a lot of work to do.

“With what we’ve got coming in, the talent that we’ve signed, I feel confident that the program can get back to where it should be.”

Whether that means another return to the Final Four or a national title remains to be seen.
    “I understand that maybe we can’t always be in the top 10 or whatever, but we can do better,” Creed said. “I’m sure not giving up yet on us getting back to another Final Four, either.”

And however difficult any season might become for a team, be it the Lady Techsters or whoever, Ashley believes “the fans need to share some of the responsibility.

“This is the time when these players need our support the most. We need to show that we’re behind them, even in the toughest of times.”

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Article on LA Tech Women's Basketball

GREAT ARTICLE! It is so nice to see a supportive article right now. THANK YOU ASHLEY! Your last statement is something that is SO TRUE! The Techsters need us now more than ever. If we want recruits, we MUST show up and support our team. That is what WE have over 90% of the other programs in the country and what we have to offer.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

until i hear of some great big girls come in, I will not be excited about Long's recruits. We are losing a "6'2 center". Old Techster teams never played with less than 6'4 centers. Why can we attract 5 star guards but can't sniff at a post game recruit. Enough guards. Bring on the Post long or you will continue to take a back seat to UT and LSU.

Big Dog barkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

That article just shows that we glorify the past too much and don't focus on the future. This season is lost and everyone knows that. Who would actually want to see this team make the NCAA tourney and be a 14 or 15 seed only to get absolutely blown away??? The administration has wrecked this once prideful program and now some fans want to nail the coffin shut with their reckless belief that it can become a Boise St. in football overnight.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Who are these people kidding? Surely Oakes, Long, and Davis don't believe this propaganda. We did not surge at the end of the season. The end of season schedule simply matched us with the 5 weakest teams of a weak conference. We still managed to lose one of these. Hawaii is the lowest RPI we've ever lost to. The conference is not improved. It has gotten progressively worse with this year being the worst year since we joined (by far).

I wish our AD, head coach, and local sports writer would quit making excuses. We need to make some changes before our program can get back to prominence. Fabricating where we stand right now doesn't help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbish View Post

Late season surge?

The Techsters went into this week with a streak of three straight wins and four out of their last five, two of the victories having boosted the team to an 8-6 mark against WAC opponents.

Said Jim Oakes, the university?s athletic director: ?Successful teams are remembered for how they finish, not how they start. Our team appears to be peaking at the right time as we head into the final weeks of the season.?

Improved conference

When Tech entered the WAC in 2001, the consensus among head coaches and other athletic officials at the time was that the addition of the perennial powerhouse would make everybody else better.

Advance the video to 2008 and, sure enough, that is exactly what has happened. Long can attest to the improvement, having first landed at Tech in the very year (2001) the university entered the conference.

?From top to bottom, the league as a whole has gotten better,? he said. ?The athleticism, overall, has really improved.?
    ________
    GLASS BONGS
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Who are these people kidding? Surely Oakes, Long, and Davis don't believe this propaganda. We did not surge at the end of the season. The end of season schedule simply matched us with the 5 weakest teams of a weak conference. We still managed to lose one of these. Hawaii is the lowest RPI we've ever lost to. The conference is not improved. It has gotten progressively worse with this year being the worst year since we joined (by far).

I wish our AD, head coach, and local sports writer would quit making excuses. We need to make some changes before our program can get back to prominence. Fabricating where we stand right now doesn't help anything.
    It was nice to see something positive before going into this tournament. Levingston's comments were good and I appreciated her point of view and drive as the only 4 year senior on the team. Let's see if we can hold off just a few more days to see how they do this week. I would like for all of the Techsters to know that they have a lot of fans and we are in their corner.

Big Dog DarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really nice

Champ110...Still with you...

GO LADY TECHSTERS!!!!!!!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

What is it that all losing teams have in common? Excuses. As LT said, the conference hasn't gotten stronger. How many top 25 teams has WAC teams beaten ooc? How many WAC teams are in the top 25? It only seems like the conference is stronger because we aren't any good. And I agree with the post about lack of inside players. It doesn't do any good to have all these hot shot guards when you can only play so many of them. That right there is probably a major cause of the bad team chemistry.

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

It says a lot about Oakes that he thinks we are "peaking" at just the right time. It PATHETIC that he considers barely avoiding a losing regular season "peaking"!

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Very nice article!
    Before the season Coach Long ask fans to be patient with this team and we have been that all year, I hope that we can prove something in the tournament !
    Love this team just like all the ones before and we need to just get it done!
    Go Teschsters!

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    Very nice article!
    Before the season Coach Long ask fans to be patient with this team and we have been that all year, I hope that we can prove something in the tournament !
    Love this team just like all the ones before and we need to just get it done!
    Go Teschsters!
    We sure got it done today in a VERY convincing fashion! We are 1-0 on the season.

+ Reply to Thread