+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Change?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: Coaching Change?

Now that the season is over (presuming no WNIT), I think that we do need to make a change. The team seems to be regressing instead of improving. I do not know Long, I am sure he is a wonderful man, but I do not think he is the person to lead this program at this time. This is Dooley's first big decision as AD. I hope that he is allowed to do the right thing. From the numbers ($100K) that have been thrown around on this site, I don't see where money should be a problem. I just hope we do a real "nation-wide" search this time. If the best choice is already on the bench, fine, if not then go out and get them.

A truly disappointing and frustrating season...

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

We probably won't even get invited to the WNIT. Long sucks. He needs to go now.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

For some reason, I think they'll bring him back next year. The reasons they may give will be that we lost key players this year to injury and that Budke's continual signing of JUCO's left Long to rebuild with a young team. To me, that doesn't change the fact that the roster is guard-heavy and there isn't a pattern of consistant improvement. I think that we shouldn't delay the inevitable and go ahead in making change.

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTUIronDawg View Post
    For some reason, I think they'll bring him back next year. The reasons they may give will be that we lost key players this year to injury and that Budke's continual signing of JUCO's left Long to rebuild with a young team. To me, that doesn't change the fact that the roster is guard-heavy and there isn't a pattern of consistant improvement. I think that we shouldn't delay the inevitable and go ahead in making change.
    As much as it pains me to say it...I agree...

And to think I wrote a letter to the editor for the TechTalk denouncing the hiring of Chris Long...never thought I would be this right about it then...

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

Our AD is not going to spend $100,000 dollars to buy out a WBB coaches contact and then spend another $200,000 to replace him. LTU is stuck with Long and with Dooley as AD, WBB is going to take a BACK SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28 View Post
    Our AD is not going to spend $100,000 dollars to buy out a WBB coaches contact and then spend another $200,000 to replace him. LTU is stuck with Long...........
    Yes. Long should resign for the good of the program. He won't, though, because of the paycheck. Our former A.D. was an idiot for giving him a contract extension.

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Our former A.D. was an idiot for giving him a contract extension.
    You should give the AD more credit. He was an idiot for far more than that.

Dooley can have a long career at Tech if he does at least one of two things: 1. Puts together a competitive football program or 2. Makes it a priority to give all the resources necessary to bring the Techsters back to glory.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

You cannot deny the fact that this will be the first time that our program will most likely not get a post season bid for ANYTHING. If you want to "save" the program, look at whats been happening over the years since this guy has been coach and do what it takes, WHATEVER it takes, to get him on the road and bring someone in with a TRUE search. Im pretty upset about they way they lost tonight, not acceptable considering our history. Im sorry, if DR does not run this guy off, he will not be known for academics in my mind, he will be known as the idiot who let a great coach go, and ran, no, drove our program straight into the ground.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

You should give the AD more credit. He was an idiot for far more than that.
    Pls don't get me started again on that. I'm trying to move on ............. TIA

Dooley can have a long career at Tech if he does at least one of two things: 1. Puts together a competitive football program or 2. Makes it a priority to give all the resources necessary to bring the Techsters back to glory.
    #1 - Yes

#2 - I question whether that matters at all, now that Long has totally destroyed "Leon's Legacy" ??

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Down Re: Coaching Change?

#1 - Nope, CL will get another year ( as much as it pains me to say that!! ) because letting him go would mean that DR was a fool for hiring him in the first place ( & we know what kind of ego DR has!! )

#2 - Here we go again w/this being KB's fault!! CL has had more than adequate time to recruit players to fit HIS schemes ( whatever in the H*** they may happen to be!! ). Besides, no one said that CL couldn't BLEND in some JUCO's of his own to help out & hasn't he already signed a recruit from Gulf Coast Community College who is ( can't believe this!! ) NOT a guard ( a 6' 2" power forward who plays similar to Cheryl Ford ). I'm certain he'll keep her on the bench while he runs his munchkin guards to death. BTW - JoKeira was a JUCO!!
    Ya'll need to STOP blaming KB for the fact that CL can't coach! All I ( & FFA ) heard this offseason was "just wait & give CL a chance to develop his players." So what's yall's excuse for him gonna be this offseason??????????????
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-15-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Why do you guys keep on whining about the lack of a consistent post player oriented offense by the Techesters. Fresno State took them to a perimeter shooting clinic today without any hint of any post play at all. Fresno exhibited no post player in their rout (for the third time this season) of the Techsters today. So much for the lack of a post player excuse.

They did it with three freshmen in their starting lineup. So much for the youth excuse!

The Fresno coach recognized the strength of his available talent, and developed an offensive scheme that utilized those strengths.

Chris Long appears to have focused his offensive scheme on a post player that never could effectively handle double and sometimes triple teaming. His guards could not consistently shoot from the peimeter nor consistently penetrate off the dribble and score. These failures gave the defenses the freedom to pack the paint with bodies rendering the post play ineffective and making it extremely difficult for the Techsters to get offensive rebounds. This wasn't just the case for today's Fresno game, it was the story of the entire season.

The lesson to be learned is that if you choose to go with a guard oriented offense, then recruit ball handlers that can shoot from anywhere on the three point arc again and again. Just like Fresno did. If you choose to use a post oriented offense, the same kind of guards are needed to open up the defenses to provide passing lanes to the post players.

Long is long on guards but short on shooters. As the song said, "It's the only thing that I did half right, and now its turned out all wrong."

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Gene,
    We need more than one 6'2, I know that we have Jones at 6'4 but she still looks awfully lack luster, We need a couple 6'2 girls and at least one 6'4 or 6'5 girl. I am not sure where to find them either it is looking awfully short throughout the country but we have to find something. The reason that the freshmen looked so good with Fresno was simple they were playing with girls that have been playing consistently for years in that program unlike ours who were playing trial by fire.
    Please guys if you know of any post players out there we have to have them and have them now. I know that people say we shouldn't have to recruit but I am telling you that the pickings are slim on big girls and for some reason we can't force the ones that are out there to sign with us. I wish that we could make them sign but for some reason they are given a choice at where they want to play basketball in college.

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

[quote=sharky;592333]Why do you guys keep on whining about the lack of a consistent post player oriented offense by the Techesters. Fresno State took them to a perimeter shooting clinic today without any hint of any post play at all. Fresno exhibited no post player in their rout (for the third time this season) of the Techsters today. So much for the lack of a post player excuse.

Sharky,

Call me about post play being over-rated when FSU is relevant in the NCAA tourney. When we bitch about too many gaurds we are referencing nationally. The fact that we lost to a slightly above average FSU team only confirms how far we have fallen. As long as we rely on two or three 6'0 - 6'2 "post" players we will not be nationally relevant. It's not just the height, wing span is often related to height. As long as we are 2-4 inches shorter (at every position) than the top teams we will struggle with rebounding, loose balls, etc. Unfortunately, I think our days as a nation power are long gone, I am hoping we can regain the status of an ODU.

TB

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    If the Techsters dont make it to the Big Dance, is this the last of Chris Long?
    100K buyout from a school that's already deep in the red??

I don't see it unless a big donor steps up and buys him out.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

[quote=TBDawg01;592362]
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Why do you guys keep on whining about the lack of a consistent post player oriented offense by the Techesters. Fresno State took them to a perimeter shooting clinic today without any hint of any post play at all. Fresno exhibited no post player in their rout (for the third time this season) of the Techsters today. So much for the lack of a post player excuse.

Sharky,

Call me about post play being over-rated when FSU is relevant in the NCAA tourney. When we bitch about too many gaurds we are referencing nationally. The fact that we lost to a slightly above average FSU team only confirms how far we have fallen. As long as we rely on two or three 6'0 - 6'2 "post" players we will not be nationally relevant. It's not just the height, wing span is often related to height. As long as we are 2-4 inches shorter (at every position) than the top teams we will struggle with rebounding, loose balls, etc. Unfortunately, I think our days as a nation power are long gone, I am hoping we can regain the status of an ODU.

TB
    TBDog, I never intended to infer that post play is overrated. What the Fresno coach did was take his talent and develop a offensive scheme to utilize the strengths that he has.

Some of you continue to aim for NCAA tournament appearances and perhaps going deep into the tournament. The only way that the Techsters can get to the NCAA is to win the WAC tournament. Whether they accomplish the feat with post play, perimeter shooting or a combination of both doesn't matter. JUST DO IT.

However, you can't do it recruiting guards that can't shoot from the perimeter and still continue to try to run a post oriented offense without a consistently effective post player. Chris Long has more guards in the pipeline. Let us all hope that two or three of them can shoot so that the offense can spread the defense just like Fresno did in all three games against the Techsters.

I don't care whether Fresno is relevant in the NCAA tournament or not. What is relevant is that they are there and we aren't. They are there because they have superior coaching and talent. The three freshmen that took us to school yesterday will be around for three more years. Let's worry about how relevant they will continue to be in the WAC before we concern ourselves with the NCAA tournament.

The future for the 2007-2008 version of the Lady Techsters was plainly forecast at the the very beginning of the season when Leon Barmore took former Lady Techsters and almost beat the current team. That performance said it all, we just didn't realize it at the time. Leon probably knew. Dan Reneau still doesn't get it.

+ Reply to Thread