+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awful WAC post three 20+ win teams

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Awful WAC post three 20+ win teams

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    And ODU is a basketball school, located in a basketball-crazed region. Tech has never been, and never will be a basketball school. That's right. Never has been. W-w-what?? some of you stammer....how can you say that, you ask. Despite success under Russo and then Eagles, Tech NEVER achieved the status of of a BB school. We were a football school with a very good MBB program for a few years. Big difference. And despite the success of the Techsters, we were a football school with an awesome WBB program for 20 years.

North Louisiana is football country.

And now that the AD is the head FB coach, BB will get only just enough to function. There will be no building the programs back to even "very good" status, let alone achieving true "basketball school" status. As I said, we didn't have that even when the Dunkin' Dawgs and Techsters were a combined 59-7 and BOTH finished ranked in the Top 10!

So, the point is, ODU enjoys an advantage in rebuilding and maintaining its WBB program.
    I, actually, agree with some of what you stated. Don't assume, though, that Dooley is a "football" only A.D. That is not true. I really believe that he is going to attempt to rebuild (or build in some cases) all of our athletic programs. Winners win and don't accept mediocracy. I believe that Dooley is a winner and will demand excellence across the board.

While, football may be king in this region, other programs can enjoy success and be at the top. In fact, the barriers are not NEAR as concrete in growing a National power in basketball, as they are with the bcs in football.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I, actually, agree with some of what you stated. Don't assume, though, that Dooley is a "football" only A.D. That is not true. I really believe that he is going to attempt to rebuild (or build in some cases) all of our athletic programs. Winners win and don't accept mediocracy. I believe that Dooley is a winner and will demand excellence across the board.

While, football may be king in this region, other programs can enjoy success and be at the top. In fact, the barriers are not NEAR as concrete in growing a National power in basketball, as they are with the bcs in football.
    Fair enough...

But my comment was aimed directly at Tech Nation and this region. I remember a game in 1985 during Malone's final year, while Tech was ranked 7th in the nation vs. North Texas State and there weren't 1,500 fans in the TAC for the game. Would that happen at a true BB school in Virginia or North Carolina? I don't think so.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Fair enough...

But my comment was aimed directly at Tech Nation and this region. I remember a game in 1985 during Malone's final year, while Tech was ranked 7th in the nation vs. North Texas State and there weren't 1,500 fans in the TAC for the game. Would that happen at a true BB school in Virginia or North Carolina? I don't think so.
    I was at that game and all of us wondered why on earth we couldn't draw more people for our games. It was ridiculous. I believe, though, that it was more the ineptness of our administration for not marketing our program, than anything else. We sure packed he TAC for wbb games back in the day. I believe it COULD be done for both programs, if it is done correctly.

+ Reply to Thread