+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the LONG road back....

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

the LONG road back....

It's interesting to go back and read the first topic on this board, the schedule announcement at the beginning of the year. Many of us had been criticized for our "negativity" from the previous season, and our opinions on Long, etc.

Those who are "positive" and "true fans" kept telling us to hang in there, that this season would show that we were wrong in our assessments of Longs abilities or lack thereof.

I admittedly stated that I though I was being optimistic in predicting a 19-10 season, losing 5 games in the WAC. Turns out it was optimistic. Beyond what I'd even allowed room for.

At the beginning of this season it was all about our "pure shooters" and "scorers" and "talent" and "great recruiting class." It was also STILL about Budke (laughable, I know) and Long was just now making his mark on the program.
    Turns out Long's mark on the program is a big fat red smear of ink, destroying most of our records and establishing new ones that are embarrassing lows for the program.

Three years under Long. These are his much-heralded recruits. Come back at me with every excuse you want. They are all empty. If only Whitney wasn't hurt....if only Sidney had been stronger....if only our guards could have hit outside shots....if only we'd had more time....whatever. The only "if only" that I'm concerned about is this: If only Tech would stop the ship from sinking now then possibly the program will rise again. As of now, we've become a bottom-dweller. Disagree all you want, red dot me all you want, but facts are facts. We are now not even among the top 100 programs in the country.

You want to know why recruits aren't flocking to Tech? It's not because many of us THINK Long is the wrong person for the job. It's actually because he IS the wrong person for the job. The program is sinking. Not many top tier players want to jump on a sinking ship.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Re: the LONG road back....

Whitney Jones INjury.....When have the Techsters only relied on 1 player. I can remember better 2nd teams under Barmore that would smoke this years team.

For that matter....Jones is only at tech because she was Homesick. I don't count her as one of Longs recruits.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

No need to diss players, which is inadvertantly what some of you are doing. I know you don't mean it that way, but there are some talented players on this team and will be again next year. No matter what you think of the coach or of my pre-season optimism, be careful in your assessments.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    No need to diss players, which is inadvertantly what some of you are doing. I know you don't mean it that way, but there are some talented players on this team and will be again next year. No matter what you think of the coach or of my pre-season optimism, be careful in your assessments.
    Contrary to what you think, the post was not directed solely at you. If you were the only one with pre-season optimism then I would have directed it toward you.

I'm not dissing players. It's not their fault if the recruiters are laying more on their shoulders than they are capable of carrying.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Contrary to what you think, the post was not directed solely at you. If you were the only one with pre-season optimism then I would have directed it toward you.

I'm not dissing players. It's not their fault if the recruiters are laying more on their shoulders than they are capable of carrying.
    Well, a lot of what you stated was pretty much what I stated to start the season. That is fine, though, I certainly was optimistic.:icon_wink:

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I have to admit that on paper alot of these recruits did and will look good. Remember this is a team with no starters. I am disillusioned with Long's inability to recruit decent post players for the future. Even if our guards do get better we are losing Sneed. Our only star player with literally noone to replace her. He needs to get his head out of his arse if he wants to start winning. I find it disturbing however that this team did not seem to improve one bit over the year. They were just as inconsistent in the end as they were in the beginning.

Varsity Bulldog East Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the earsEast Coast Dawg seems to have something between the ears East Coast Dawg's Avatar

I have not posted much on the Lady Techsters because I have been unable to attend any games and have seen very little coverage. I like many of you am heartbroken with the demise of OUR program. But I would like to make one observation. I have read about cold shooting, lack of driving the lane , shortcomings on offense and etc., but these are things that occur on the offensive end on occassion and can vary form game to game. weaker teams are going to have these problems when the other teams defense is tough. Tough defense used to be the trademaark of the Techsters. I havent studied the stats but we used to pride ourselve in holding other teams to low percentage in shooting. It doesnt seem that the emphasis is on defense like it used to be.(Again I have not been able to see games and follow stats like I used to) Offenses are going to struggle from time to time, but defense is just plain toughness, aggressiveness, disciple, and effort and these things have to be instilled in coaching.

From what I have been able to glean from posting on here and what coverage and stats I have seen, I feel this is a major shortcoming of Longs in his leadership of OUR program. I think it is time for him to go.

Just my opinion.

Varsity Bulldog rustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her game

OK, so let's assume for a moment that they will indeed fire Long.

Who would replace him? Guarantee it ain't gonna be Joni, Scott or Brooke.

And what proven coach would want to come to Ruston to take over a program in shambles and get paid pennies on the dollar?

We'll end up having to hire some up-and-comer looking for his or her first head coaching position. And due to this dadgum hiring freeze, who knows when we would actually be able to hire anyone. We STILL don't have a volleyball coach, you know.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

We will get scores of applications from coaches that are far superior to Long if we announce that we're looking. $150,000 to $200,000 will get you a solid coach in NCAA WBB.
    ________
    Kids nexium
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Big Dog barkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

The reason why cold shooting, injuries, etc are effecting us moreso than most of the past years is because we have a weaker team. Someone stated that Sneed was our best player. That says a lot in that she'd be a second stringer with Tenn, Uconn, N. Carolina and others. We simply do not have the talent and probably won't ever again. And for those of you that actually listens to that Champion person and his predictions for the season or future, you're a fool. That guy will overhype an ant with a broken ass if it makes him feel good doing it.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

hire Bo Overton

Quote Originally Posted by barkinloud View Post
    The reason why cold shooting, injuries, etc are effecting us moreso than most of the past years is because we have a weaker team. Someone stated that Sneed was our best player. That says a lot in that she'd be a second stringer with Tenn, Uconn, N. Carolina and others. We simply do not have the talent and probably won't ever again. And for those of you that actually listens to that Champion person and his predictions for the season or future, you're a fool. That guy will overhype an ant with a broken ass if it makes him feel good doing it.
    Yes, they should listen to you. I have no problem with that. Wonder if I am the first person that was too optimistic in predicting how a season would go. I am so glad that we have someone on here that is never wrong.

Big Dog barkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Yes, they should listen to you. I have no problem with that. Wonder if I am the first person that was too optimistic in predicting how a season would go. I am so glad that we have someone on here that is never wrong.

It is not that you are a bad person, it is just that so much of what you know is wrong.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

We might as well get used to losing for another year. Financially Tech just can't afford to pay the $100k it would cost to buy out Long, and unless things have changed there is no reason to. Last time they did a nation wide search to the end of the bench and didn't do anything to move the program back where it should be. If we are doing another "nation wide" search, then we might as well save our money for something else and just accept that we are terrible. Unless a big donor steps up for the buyout we will have Long for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    We might as well get used to losing for another year. Financially Tech just can't afford to pay the $100k it would cost to buy out Long, and unless things have changed there is no reason to. Last time they did a nation wide search to the end of the bench and didn't do anything to move the program back where it should be. If we are doing another "nation wide" search, then we might as well save our money for something else and just accept that we are terrible. Unless a big donor steps up for the buyout we will have Long for another year.

Big donor to buyout a 100 thousand dollare contract...............ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread