+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: re: "who cares, it's women's basketball"

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

re: "who cares, it's women's basketball"

Another anonymous ball-less jackass left me a red dot because of my posts about the Techsters. His exact comment was "who cares, it's women's basketball."

Oddly enough, he had to have been on the board, in the women's basketball section, to have read my post.

Here's the thing about the obviously misogynistic and short-celled mind the red dot comes from: it may only be "women's basketball" but the fact remains that Tech is known nationally for women's basketball, not men's basketball or football or any other sport that is offered. Oh sure, throw out a few names (Bradshaw, Malone, etc.) but NONE of those names immediately call attention to the university at large the way the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters name does.

It is the WOMEN who make up the Lady Techsters (past and present) who have helped take Tech's name to places it hasn't been in years. How many men from Tech bball play in the pros vs. how many Techsters play in the pros?

I'm a fan of Techster (WOMEN'S) basketball because it is entertaining, or at least it was for many years. To downplay the importance of Techster basketball simply because WOMEN are the ones playing the sport, demonstrates that the author of the anonymous and ball-less red dot is insecure....for what reason(s) we'll never know, but his obvious attempt to downplay the importance of the sport due to the gender of the players indeed says more about HIIM than his post ever could about the sport.

Bulldog Jack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Jack Mayhoffer's Avatar

Re: "who cares, it's women's basketball"

Who cares, it's a red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Another anonymous ball-less jackass left me a red dot because of my posts about the Techsters. His exact comment was "who cares, it's women's basketball."

Oddly enough, he had to have been on the board, in the women's basketball section, to have read my post.

Here's the thing about the obviously misogynistic and short-celled mind the red dot comes from: it may only be "women's basketball" but the fact remains that Tech is known nationally for women's basketball, not men's basketball or football or any other sport that is offered. Oh sure, throw out a few names (Bradshaw, Malone, etc.) but NONE of those names immediately call attention to the university at large the way the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters name does.

It is the WOMEN who make up the Lady Techsters (past and present) who have helped take Tech's name to places it hasn't been in years. How many men from Tech bball play in the pros vs. how many Techsters play in the pros?

I'm a fan of Techster (WOMEN'S) basketball because it is entertaining, or at least it was for many years. To downplay the importance of Techster basketball simply because WOMEN are the ones playing the sport, demonstrates that the author of the anonymous and ball-less red dot is insecure....for what reason(s) we'll never know, but his obvious attempt to downplay the importance of the sport due to the gender of the players indeed says more about HIIM than his post ever could about the sport.
    "Off the top of my head, I'd say you're looking at a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever!"

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Fanfromafar,
    Ignore the red dotsters. You have enough green for them not to affect you anylonger. Please don't pick a fight with the other sports programs at Tech, though. Some of us have worked very hard to show that it is not a contest between Tech programs. We can have great programs all the way around and some of us love all Tech sports. It is fine to just have one favorite, but no need to get into a back and forth about that. There are enough other things to be upset about.:icon_wink:

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I can assure you that most people that dont like women's basketball have not a sexist bone in their body. The sport is boring to many, it is just a plain fact. I always follow the Techsters and I give to CHAMPS without specification (ie. I support all programs, no earmark), but I can honestly say I watch very little WBB. I tried, but it is just not for me. I would say a lot of people feel the same way, but some do choose to be jackasses about it. I just try to be honest about it.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

I have to agree with you for the most part. I love all Tech athletics, and I want the whole athletic department to succeed. However, it is the women's basketball team who has brought recognition to the university. In fact, the other day I was a dinner with some friends, and I actually, got in an arguement with one of them because he tried to tell me that Karl Malone did not go to Louisiana Tech. Whether you choose to support women's basketball or not, they are the sport that gives Louisiana Tech a name. I have never gone anywhere where people haven't said when they find out I am an alum of Tech say, "Oh yeah Louisiana Tech, the Lady Techsters, you guys are usually good in women's basketball huh?"

Personally, I think that women's basketball is entertaining to watch. Especially when you have a good women's team playing. I have to say that there is nothing worse than watching horrible women's basketball though because unlike men, when women's basketball is bad, it is bad. I do understand why people don't like to watch women as much as men, but personally, I like watching good women's basketball.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Fanfromafar,
    Ignore the red dotsters. You have enough green for them not to affect you anylonger. Please don't pick a fight with the other sports programs at Tech, though. Some of us have worked very hard to show that it is not a contest between Tech programs. We can have great programs all the way around and some of us love all Tech sports. It is fine to just have one favorite, but no need to get into a back and forth about that. There are enough other things to be upset about.:icon_wink:
    Not picking a fight with the other programs. That was not the point at all. It was the mindset that because it's "women's basketball" that it doesn't seem to matter as much. That sentiment has been on this board in other voices as well, relating to budget, coaches salaries, expectations, etc.

Whether or not other programs feel slighted has absolutely nothing to do with the fact, the FACT, that the Techster name has taken the La. Tech name to places it had never before been.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

I have hair in the places described...but I am not your red dotter. Ignore it!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    I have to agree with you for the most part. I love all Tech athletics, and I want the whole athletic department to succeed. However, it is the women's basketball team who has brought recognition to the university. In fact, the other day I was a dinner with some friends, and I actually, got in an arguement with one of them because he tried to tell me that Karl Malone did not go to Louisiana Tech. Whether you choose to support women's basketball or not, they are the sport that gives Louisiana Tech a name. I have never gone anywhere where people haven't said when they find out I am an alum of Tech say, "Oh yeah Louisiana Tech, the Lady Techsters, you guys are usually good in women's basketball huh?"

Personally, I think that women's basketball is entertaining to watch. Especially when you have a good women's team playing. I have to say that there is nothing worse than watching horrible women's basketball though because unlike men, when women's basketball is bad, it is bad. I do understand why people don't like to watch women as much as men, but personally, I like watching good women's basketball.
    I like WBB, as well - obviously. PLENTY of people love WBB, as seen by past attendance at Tech and at other schools where there has been or is a great team.

The fact is, though, that it doesn't have to be a competition between Tech sports. I love all Tech athletics. I have a hard time watching baseball, but I yell for them.

I gave FFF a green dot to make up for the red.

Let's all chill, though. Tech can have more than one great program. It takes vision, which seems to have been missing for a lot of the time at Tech. That has caused fighting among the fans for what they percieve as money going to one program over another. The fact is that we don't need to fight each other over one slice. We need to push the administration to fund and pay attention to all our programs.

What is odd is that the red dots (it's now up to two) say "nobody cares about wbb" and "who cares, it's wbb."

Yet the person(s) posting them are on the wbb board. Champ, sorry I'm picking a fight here, but I just can't help it.

If someone doesn't care about wbb, then why would they be on this board? It's quite obvious from their posts that they have sexuality/gender identity issues and need serious help. :icon_wink:

What is odd is that the red dots (it's now up to two) say "nobody cares about wbb" and "who cares, it's wbb."

Yet the person(s) posting them are on the wbb board. Champ, sorry I'm picking a fight here, but I just can't help it.

If someone doesn't care about wbb, then why would they be on this board? It's quite obvious from their posts that they have sexuality/gender identity issues and need serious help. :icon_wink:
    People that don't sign their dots are taking the chicken way out, anyway. I would suspect that it is someone with a whole lot of red dots already. We have a lot of people that are not Tech fans that like to do this.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Some of your post makes a lot of sense. Some of it is just ignorant.

For instance, the remark about how many Techsters are in the Pro's vs. How many Bulldogs?

1 MBB player from Tech in the pro's has more impact than 5 WBB players. I can say that because people actually watch the NBA. There are a lot of people that don't even know if the WNBA exists anymore. (I assume by your post that it still does) The WNBA has terrible ratings when they actually televise it because no one cares. One of those MBB players you are discounting happened to pay for the new court the Techsters play on.

More people have heard of Karl Malone than have heard of the entire Techster Dynasty.

As far as Tech being known nationally for WBB. A few years back when people found out I went to Tech I recieved a lot of comments about the Techsters. Sadly that very rarely if ever happens to me anymore. I hope we can revive the program and become winners again (Big Winners!).

Besides if you want to look at the real world our engineering programs have actually taken our name farther than any of our sports programs have. (and I say that after graduating with a sociology degree) I get more comments about that than anything.

I'm glad you have such a strong interest in the Techsters. I hope you will always cheer them on. But I would echo Champions statements re: comparing programs. We need them all to win and the Techsters benefit when the entire athletic program is run correctly and succeeding.

As far as those red dots go, they didn't come from me but I can promise you complaining about them is the surest way to get more of them. They are trying to push your buttons.

......and it looks like they are succeeding. :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Some of your post makes a lot of sense. Some of it is just ignorant.

For instance, the remark about how many Techsters are in the Pro's vs. How many Bulldogs?

1 MBB player from Tech in the pro's has more impact than 5 WBB players. I can say that because people actually watch the NBA. There are a lot of people that don't even know if the WNBA exists anymore. (I assume by your post that it still does) The WNBA has terrible ratings when they actually televise it because no one cares. One of those MBB players you are discounting happened to pay for the new court the Techsters play on.

More people have heard of Karl Malone than have heard of the entire Techster Dynasty.

As far as Tech being known nationally for WBB. A few years back when people found out I went to Tech I recieved a lot of comments about the Techsters. Sadly that very rarely if ever happens to me anymore. I hope we can revive the program and become winners again (Big Winners!).

Besides if you want to look at the real world our engineering programs have actually taken our name farther than any of our sports programs have. (and I say that after graduating with a sociology degree) I get more comments about that than anything.

I'm glad you have such a strong interest in the Techsters. I hope you will always cheer them on. But I would echo Champions statements re: comparing programs. We need them all to win and the Techsters benefit when the entire athletic program is run correctly and succeeding.

As far as those red dots go, they didn't come from me but I can promise you complaining about them is the surest way to get more of them. They are trying to push your buttons.

......and it looks like they are succeeding. :icon_wink:
    Speaking of ignorant.....

Do you think I actually mind getting the red dots? Don't you think if I know that if I don't want any more red dots I should just go along with whatever is the popular sentiment on the board at any given moment? Or not mention anything else that would ruffle anyone's feathers at any moment on any given day?

You still missed the point. I'll take the blame for not communicating it well, and pass some blame on to you for being so lodged in your own opinion that you missed mine.

1 MBB player in the NBA may have more impact than 5 WBB in the WNBA to YOU or to a lot of MEN and in the ESPN world, but to young women, women who were being somewhat slammed by the red-dotter, and to women's basketball which is WHAT THIS ENTIRE POST WAS ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE IF YOU'D STOPPED TO READ IT, well those 5 WBB players mean a hell of a lot more than ONE MBB player.

I am NOT comparing the Techsters to other programs and saying they are in any way better. THE POINT, which you missed, IS ABOUT WOMEN'S BASKETBALL. The red dotter was making a point that no one cares about women's basketball, the point was about Tech women's basketball, and I was making the point that the Lady Techsters have been the most prominent (on the national television/cable stage) ambassadors of the Louisiana Tech name. THE POINT wasn't that the other Tech programs should/have/will suffer or in ANY WAY be less important, funded, etc. THE POINT is about what my FIRST post mentioned. Misogyny. The ball-less one referenced that NO ONE cares about WBB. Besides being an obviously grandiose and false statement, it implied that WBB is somehow LESS than the other sports at Tech.

The argument you and Champ make works both ways. The Techster program should not suffer due to the success of the other programs. Tech's WBB, like it or not, has made a name for Tech in many households across this country. You're right on ONE point, and that is, the impact they've had has diminished quite a bit lately.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Speaking of ignorant.....

Do you think I actually mind getting the red dots? Don't you think if I know that if I don't want any more red dots I should just go along with whatever is the popular sentiment on the board at any given moment? Or not mention anything else that would ruffle anyone's feathers at any moment on any given day?

Please you are the one that was whining about the dots to begin with and now you don't care? This entire thread was a response to a red dot that you don't seem to care about.

You still missed the point. I'll take the blame for not communicating it well, and pass some blame on to you for being so lodged in your own opinion that you missed mine.

Good. We agree on something. And I completely got your point but you didn't need to compare the Techsters to the other programs to make it.

1 MBB player in the NBA may have more impact than 5 WBB in the WNBA to YOU or to a lot of MEN and in the ESPN world, but to young women, women who were being somewhat slammed by the red-dotter, and to women's basketball which is WHAT THIS ENTIRE POST WAS ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE IF YOU'D STOPPED TO READ IT, well those 5 WBB players mean a hell of a lot more than ONE MBB player.

No. One MBB player makes a bigger impact FOR LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY, which is what I care about and what this entire board is about. It isn't about men OR women. It is about Tech. (and BTW most women, not women I know, but women period could care less about the WNBA.)

I am NOT comparing the Techsters to other programs and saying they are in any way better. THE POINT, which you missed, IS ABOUT WOMEN'S BASKETBALL. The red dotter was making a point that no one cares about women's basketball, the point was about Tech women's basketball, and I was making the point that the Lady Techsters have been the most prominent (on the national television/cable stage) ambassadors of the Louisiana Tech name. THE POINT wasn't that the other Tech programs should/have/will suffer or in ANY WAY be less important, funded, etc. THE POINT is about what my FIRST post mentioned. Misogyny. The ball-less one referenced that NO ONE cares about WBB. Besides being an obviously grandiose and false statement, it implied that WBB is somehow LESS than the other sports at Tech.

You were basically in a nutshell saying they were better when you compared them to the other programs. You were comparing their impact. You were comparing their recognition nationally. (....Ever hear of Terry Bradshaw ) It was unnecessary to prove your point.

The argument you and Champ make works both ways. The Techster program should not suffer due to the success of the other programs. Tech's WBB, like it or not, has made a name for Tech in many households across this country. You're right on ONE point, and that is, the impact they've had has diminished quite a bit lately.

It won't. All of our programs need to succeed and will feed off of each other. MBB and Football success will only help the Techsters and improve their and all other sports funding levels.

You said: "Tech's WBB, like it or not, has made a name for Tech in many households across this country." ----I agree!!!!! If you would have stuck with this point to begin with and left the other sports out we would have been in agreement this entire thread.

Hopefully our admin. will make an intelligent move so we aren't having this conversation a few years from now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    It won't. All of our programs need to succeed and will feed off of each other. MBB and Football success will only help the Techsters and improve their and all other sports funding levels.

You said: "Tech's WBB, like it or not, has made a name for Tech in many households across this country." ----I agree!!!!! If you would have stuck with this point to begin with and left the other sports out we would have been in agreement this entire thread.

Hopefully our admin. will make an intelligent move so we aren't having this conversation a few years from now!!
    With all due respect, you just don't get the entire point of this post. And please point out where I whined about a red dot. Those were your words. I didn't whine about them, I don't care about receiving them when they are from people who disagree with me and make a point. I was pointing out that this red dot was from a person who is mentally-challenged. Seems you get his point but not mine. Hmmm.....

"Another anonymous ball-less jackass left me a red dot because of my posts about the Techsters."

If someone doesn't care about wbb, then why would they be on this board? It's quite obvious from their posts that they have sexuality/gender identity issues and need serious help.

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

+ Reply to Thread