+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: TKE House

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Re: TKE House

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Sorry, I do have to work at the Stadium that day. MSU has requested 20,000 + tickets and parking for over 100 RV's for tailgating. They have advised they may want more as the date approaches, so it will be a zoo. Some are predicting the largest crowd ever for that game.
    "Doable" Gonzo; that's the word -- "Doable".

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    The Brass Lantern is a bar??? That place has always looked so sketch to me, being in the back of an old gas station and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg View Post
    Suffice to say, the Brass Lantern saw its fair share of good times. It used to open at 3:00 P.M. for a pretty consistent crowd of degenerates, including myself. Some of its best attributes were cold keystone longnecks and some pretty decent looking bar maids.
    Is the Brass Lantern still open? I keep meaning to get a picture of that building. I love that the front end is an AA meeting place.

If the bar is closed, was there ever a time that the building served both purposes? Not quite as bad, but it reminds me of the place I heard about in NJ that will trade AA chips for free drinks.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Nope... The lantern is closed. So is Stows and Trenton Street Pub. The Que Stick closed for a while, but it is back open again.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

I miss the dawghouse.... quarter longnecks and 50 cent import night was AWESOME. Plus they didnt card. Thats probably why they got shut down after a few months... :-P But that Fall of '99 was awesome.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Dawghouse is alive and well.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaTech.Pike View Post
    No... but I had to go before judicial affairs twice....

I really don't think you have any idea what it is like on campus now. This last bid day, Quinnley told everybody that they could not have a pit in their own yard. We challenged it by contacting the city, the city police, and the Tech police who all said that it was OK as long as it was not deeper than x-number of feet. So we dug our pit and on bid day, Quinnley showed up with a yard stick on our property and they actually got in the pit and measured how deep it was....

Good luck
    Backs up with what I said about him being a worthless maggot, He is scum, scum I tell you.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Sounds like Quinnley has even less of a life now than he had a decade ago. Not taking a personal swipe at him, but he really has no idea how to manage a group of people...especially a group of organizations who have different goals, different mandates from their national organizations, and diverse groups of people (even if you don't want to agree with that, longdawgview :icon_wink. I know that people in Ruston simply hire other Ruston people when a job opens up, but Quinneley doesn't need to be managing groups. He needs to be shuffling paper in a back office somewhere.

Spider, it's good to hear from you again. I was in Shreveport for Thanksgiving and had lunch with Barnette and Hammbone. Your name came up, but I don't remember why....probably wasn't good, in fact it was probably used in vain. Keep in touch.

And, if you guys decide to have that party on the TKE lot, let me know. I could round up my old group of low-rent drinking buddies from down the street and we could have a big time. Of course, a big card game migh break out, which would also be against Ruston law.

Either way, Dawgfan71227 should be involved in the planning of this party. That guy sounds like an animal.
    If I had all the money that TKE"s owed me from playing cards, I could be a $10,000 donor to CHAMPS. Well, maybe not that much, but a hell of alot. They should have had money to pay dues b/c they didn't pay their card playing debt. Initails RS and JM were bad, very bad payers of debt.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

www.casadice.com

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Backs up with what I said about him being a worthless maggot, He is scum, scum I tell you.
    Don't hold back, Rooster.

Tell us what you REALLY think ! ! !

:icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog Dawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    If I had all the money that TKE"s owed me from playing cards, I could be a $10,000 donor to CHAMPS. Well, maybe not that much, but a hell of alot. They should have had money to pay dues b/c they didn't pay their card playing debt. Initails RS and JM were bad, very bad payers of debt.
    I know exactly who you are talking about. You say "playing cards" and "gambling debt" along with those initials, only 2 people it could be.

DAWGY

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    Actually Gonzo it all went hell in 1994. See we got a leak in the fountain and we never could patch that SOB and the water bill just soared til we coulldn't handle it anymore. But on a real note it was sad to see the place sold. If not for that house I would have never learned how to calculate parlay odds faster than 3rd grade math, would have never gotten to see inside of Lincoln Parish Jail, or had a place to spend the best 7 years of my life. Oh and it helped me meet my wife.

Anyway hello Gonzo, Omaha, Straydawg and Dawgy. It's been a while.

SPIDER
    I hope you didn't do those last two inside the jail.

Puppy spider seems to have something between the earsspider seems to have something between the earsspider seems to have something between the earsspider seems to have something between the earsspider seems to have something between the earsspider seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Dawg View Post
    I hope you didn't do those last two inside the jail.
    Lone Star Dawg that is good stuff!! I guess my use of words or lack there of opened that door. Very funny. But now that I think about it, it was my words that got me into both of those issues!! " Sometimes I just need to shut up" And yes the cop that night and my wife til this day say that to me.

Spider

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgy Dog View Post
    I know exactly who you are talking about. You say "playing cards" and "gambling debt" along with those initials, only 2 people it could be.

DAWGY
    They are still good friends of mine, it truly was the good ole days

www.casadice.com

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spider View Post
    Lone Star Dawg that is good stuff!! I guess my use of words or lack there of opened that door. Very funny. But now that I think about it, it was my words that got me into both of those issues!! " Sometimes I just need to shut up" And yes the cop that night and my wife til this day say that to me.

Spider
    That'a a bit of advice that everyone could use once in awhile. It sounds like your wife and mine have alot in common.

I sent you some green, but I forgot to sign it.

Good to have you on the board.

Puppy underdog has turned a few heads around hereunderdog has turned a few heads around here underdog's Avatar

How did I just stumble on this thread a month later? If anyone is still listening.....

The jist of the TKE house closing is what C.Smith and Dawgy said. We got inspected by the fire marshall in early August and had to refinance to install a sprinkler system to get it up to 90's code (it was 60's code at the time) and open for rush in the fall. That almost doubled our monthly payment and required full occupancy (40 paying members) to get the note each month. With numbers troughout the greek system way down (due to tighter entrance requirements, and that guy that died at LSU) from when some of you guys were there, that was a tough number to hit. Add to that the often fickle payment from members and you can see the problem. We kept it together for a number of years, at least 5 or so, then it became too much I assume.

That was the financial problem, but that isnt why the TKEs are no longer there. I may be speaking out of school here, becuase I haven't been affiliated with the Tech greek system for some time, but as Omaha, Juke, Dawgy, C. Smith, Spider, Rooster, any SAE, PIKE, Kappa Sig, or KA, from that era could tell you, things were different then. Everybody looked out for one another. Sure, we got in fights often, especially with Rooster's boys, but we were all on the same team. That seemed to change. When Bubbe's boy Hollis (he used a good word to describe him, literally) took down Sig, it really changed for everybody. King saw that he could get rid of a huge thorn in his side, TKE was next on his list. Sorry Dan, but we can't all be Sigma Nu's (sorry, didn't mean to go there). And from there the snowball of money, membership, and questionable charachters. Honestly, the values weren't passed down as they should have been, or they were passed, but they weren't followed as they should have been. Whatever the case, it sucks.

On alumni support. We didnt do enough. They didnt do enough. We did try, but we could have done more. When people left, they said the same thing I said here, it was different when I was there. But none of us did anything to make it like it was before.

And as for the guy who is down on the greek system saying I paid for my friends. He may be right. But the price was a bargain considering the only friends I am in contact with today are my friends I bought and the ones I got as a bonus plan who were members of other chapters. My wife who I wouldnt sell to you for 10 million dollars (though I wouldnt give one red cent for another one just like her). And the coolest thing Ive ever known in my daughter.

If anyone wants to go back to that place on Homer street for the MSU game and tell stories over a beer, Id be happy to listen. Spider, you can start by telling of all the beer you bought me after dart games at the lantern.

BZ 1205
    Last edited by underdog; 05-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I totally understand, it's too bad more wasn't done. I'm still trying to put together a bit of a reunion. I think it would be great if we could get guys from different eras. We'll see what can be done as the date approaches.

+ Reply to Thread