+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL's All Time #1 LB Corps

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

NFL's All Time #1 LB Corps

NFL.com's #1 LB corps of all time! Great clips and interview with numerous ProBowl players from other teams as well talking about Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson, and Ricky Jackson.

Go to Search and hit New Orleans Saints

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807685ec

Hunt for this pic and title to link

Top Ten Linebacking Corps: Jim Mora's Sain

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Re: NFL's All Time #1 LB Corps

They were good. But better than Lambert, Ham & Russell?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Hey, I'm an old Steeler fan as well so this one was tough. But I'll go with the pros on this one and my heart to say YES.

BTW, what did you think of the clips?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Lambert, Ham and Russell were the best. Each of them was equally adept at run and pass defense. Of course, it does help tremendously when you have a kick-ass front four.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

No disrespect to the Dome Patrol but count the rings and you will know who was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    No disrespect to the Dome Patrol but count the rings and you will know who was the best.

IMHO, the fact is when you are "counting rings" your counting the overall team effort to win those rings. We're just talking LB's here.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    IMHO, the fact is when you are "counting rings" your counting the overall team effort to win those rings. We're just talking LB's here.

And the Steelers were the best.

I sure didn't vote but I guess NFL.com and these pros disagree.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I love my Saints but Lambert, Ham and Russell hands down.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

If the saints were in the afc, believe me, the dome patrol would have gotten some of those rings. Those guys had everything (defense wise). Just couldn't move the ball worth anything.
    Last edited by louisiana_dog; 03-26-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Lambert and Ham are both in the Hall of Fame and Russell was a 7 time Pro-Bowler.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Saints and saw that group of linebackers play in person several times while I lived in New Orleans.

But I have to believe the voters were smoking something if they picked any group over the Steelers linebackers. Was this vote limited to the last 25 years?

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I love my Saints but Lambert, Ham and Russell hands down.
    Agreed. I'm old enough to have seen both LB corps play and the Steelers LB's were better. This coming from a big time Saints fan and have been forever, but there is no way the Saints LB's were better. I'll take the Steelers in there prime over the Saints or any other LB's in there prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg87 View Post
    Agreed. I'm old enough to have seen both LB corps play and the Steelers LB's were better. This coming from a big time Saints fan and have been forever, but there is no way the Saints LB's were better. I'll take the Steelers in there prime over the Saints or any other LB's in there prime.

I'ld have loved to have seen Da Dome Patrol behind that Steeler front four.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    No joke!

HMMMmmm. Lets see Hebert or Bradshaw?

I wish both links worked. I wanted to see the entire top-10. I'll keep looking.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

From a Packer's Board

posted 07/02/2007

Which linebacking corps is tops in NFL history? The trio of Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson and Lee Roy Caffey of Vince Lombardi's Packers ranked sixth, according to the NFL Network series NFL's Top 10, which aired on Wednesday evening.

The 60-minute show analyzed the best linebacker groupings and featured fresh interviews with former coaches including Mike Ditka and Jim Mora.

The show counted down the Top 10 linebacking corps in league history, and the oldest of the bunch was the Packers' trio from the 1960s that includes one Hall of Famer in Nitschke and two other members of the Packers Hall of Fame in Robinson and Caffey.

The three were
    Green Bay's primary starters at linebacker from 1964 to 1969, helping lead the Packers to three straight league championships, including Super Bowls I and II. In those two Super Bowl victories, the Packers' linebackers combined for 38 tackles, and during that six-year span each of the three was named All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl at least once.

Here are the other linebacking corps in the NFL Network's Top 10, listed in reverse ranking order:

10. 2000 Ravens - Led by linebackers Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis and Jamie Sharper, Baltimore allowed only 165 points and 970 rushing yards - both the fewest ever in a 16-game season. The Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV with Lewis earning Super Bowl MVP honors.

9. "Orange Crush" Broncos - Broncos' Ring of Famers Randy Gradishar and Tom Jackson anchored a quartet which also included Bob Swenson and Joe Rizzo. Denver won consecutive division titles in 1977-78 with a combined 22-8 (.733) record and earned a berth in Super Bowl XII.

8. Early 1980s Raiders - Hall of Famer Ted Hendricks joined with Rod Martin and Matt Millen to lead the Raiders to five playoff berths and a pair of Super Bowl victories in six seasons from 1980-85. In Super Bowl XV, Martin had a record three interceptions to secure victory for the AFC Wild Card Raiders.

7. Mid-1990s Steelers - Chad Brown, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland and Greg Lloyd helped the Steelers to three AFC Central titles and one AFC Wild Card in the four seasons from 1993-96. Pittsburgh advanced to a pair of AFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl in that span. The Steelers set a club record with 55 sacks in 1994.

6. Lombardi's Packers

5. 1985 Bears - Featuring Hall of Famer Mike Singletary between Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson, this group led a defense which allowed the fewest yards, rushing yards and they rolled to victory in Super Bowl XX.

4. Hank Stram's Chiefs - Hall of Famer Willie Lanier lined up between fellow enshrinee Bobby Bell, Sr. and Jim Lynch for a Kansas City team which posted a 60-20-4 record (.738) from 1966-71. During that span, the Chiefs earned five playoff berths, captured two AFL/AFC crowns and won one Super Bowl. Lanier had a fourth-quarter interception in the Chiefs' Super Bowl IV victory.

3. Bill Parcells' Giants - Pro Football Hall of Famers Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor anchored a group which included Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson and Gary Reasons. The Giants earned five playoff berths and won two Super Bowls in the seven seasons from 1984-90. In 1986, Taylor had an NFL-high 20.5 sacks, earned AP NFL MVP honors and led the Giants to a Super Bowl XXI victory.

2. 1970s Steelers - Hall of Famers Jack Ham and Jack Lambert led a corps which included Andy Russell and Loren Toews on one of the most dominant defenses of the 1970s. The Steelers won four Super Bowls in six seasons and allowed the fewest points in the AFC in four of the five seasons from 1974-78.

1. Jim Mora's Saints - Led by Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills and Pat Swilling, the Saints had six consecutive .500-or-better campaigns from 1987-92. In 1992, the Saints won 12 games and allowed the fewest points and passing yards in the NFL. All four linebackers were selected to the Pro Bowl following that campaign.

Following are future episodes of NFL's Top 10:
    Wednesday, July 11 - Top 10 Most Versatile
    Wednesday, July 18 - Top 10 Pass Rushers
    Wednesday, July 25 - Top 10 Passing Combinations
    Wednesday, August 1 - Top 10 Foul-Ups

Putting a fresh twist on the countdown genre, NFL's Top 10 is a fast-paced weekly series providing an irreverent look at some of the most intriguing subjects in the NFL and creating and debating a top ten list for each category.

Each 60-minute episode of NFL's Top 10 counts down from No. 10 to the top ranking in each category. The rankings are determined by a panel of NFL Network and NFL Films staffers.

NFL's Top 10 delves deeper into the subject matter than previous "list" shows, using interviews and imagery to put them in context and answer the "why" of the order.

+ Reply to Thread