+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Road We Are On?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Re: The Road We Are On?

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    One thing that ODU forgot to point out and is a big factor as well, the Tidewater area is probably the most fertile recruiting ground in all of VA, including northern VA and the DC suburbs, and one of the most productive on the East Coast from Atlanta to PA/NJ. As long as they can keep some of the local talent at home, they will always be competitive.
    I haven't kept up with them in the past few years. But before then, there was a ton of talent in the area, but they didn't go to ODU. They had several good players from out of the country. The good local players would rather go to UVA, VA Tech and other schools in the ACC or SEC. They were not choosing ODU. There were also several years that ODU was not very good- but they seem to have done a good job of rebuilding. We could take some lessons once we get a new coach.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Now we have Joni and Fortner recruiting against us in Alabama. Leftovers anyone???

Puppy odumonarch has turned a few heads around hereodumonarch has turned a few heads around here

I haven't kept up with them in the past few years. But before then, there was a ton of talent in the area, but they didn't go to ODU. They had several good players from out of the country. The good local players would rather go to UVA, VA Tech and other schools in the ACC or SEC. They were not choosing ODU.
    Actually, girls high school basketball in the state of VA kinda stunk 10 years ago. With only a couple of exceptions, the top players in the state could only sign with mid or low majors. That changed when Kara Lawson (from northern VA) signed with Tenn in 1999. Now there's a ton of talent, especially in northern and southern VA.

ODU has definately recruited the top in-state talent over the last 10 years. Since 1999, ODU has signed 5 Tidewater (southern VA) players of the year (4 were state players of the year). Of course, ODU can't sign them all and it's definately hard competing in ACC country. UVa tends to recruit mostly in northern VA, PA, NY, and NJ. Va Tech mostly recruits in western VA and NC. ODU dominates southern VA although NC St, Maryland, and UNC have stolen a few recruits over the years.

There were also several years that ODU was not very good- but they seem to have done a good job of rebuilding. We could take some lessons once we get a new coach.
    I guess it depends on what you call "not very good."

In Wendy Larry's first 3 years (1987-90), ODU went 17-12, 23-9, and 21-10 and advanced to the NCAA 2nd round each season. Not exactly the Final Fours ODU was used to during Marianne Stanley's tenure, but not too shabby for a transition period.

Then ODU went 5-21 in Wendy's 4th season (1990-91). You guys think La Tech is bad now? Try sitting through a 5-21 season. U-G-L-Y. The team was very young and had several injuries, but 5 wins is still pathetic. Only losing season in ODU history. Only year ODU didn't advance to the NCAA's. That team set pretty much every dubious record.

Wendy was not ODU's first choice for the job and she has admitted she thought she was going to be fired. Her assistant, Anne Donovan, was the fan's popular choice to replace Wendy (credit Wendy for having the guts to hire Anne). But the AD was loyal to Wendy and kept her.

Since 1991, ODU has gone 436-112 (79.6% winning percentage) in 17 years. That's an average of 26 wins and 6 losses. ODU has won 20+ games all 17 years, including two 30+ win seasons, two 29 win seasons, and three 28 win seasons. ODU has won the Colonial conference all 17 years. During that time span ODU has advanced to 9 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's and the 1997 Final Four. Several BCS schools and a couple WNBA franchises have tried to hire Wendy over the years, but she remains loyal to ODU (thanks in part to the loyalty the ODU AD showed in 1991).

So ODU has been competitive nationally pretty much every year except the disasterous 1990-91 season. It was just one season, but I hope La Tech doesn't bottom out like that. ODU rebounded the following season, but it took a while to get all the fans back.

I can say from experience that when La Tech rises again, it will be so much sweeter!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by odumonarch View Post
    I can say from experience that when La Tech rises again, it will be so much sweeter!
    I certainly agree with that. Over time, we became spoiled. Up until the last 2 years, not making at least the Elite 8 was a failed year. Now, not making the tournament is a bad year. When we rise again, it will excite the fans and, hopefully, we won't take things for granted any longer.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Question Re: The Road We Are On?

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I certainly agree with that. Over time, we became spoiled. Up until the last 2 years, not making at least the Elite 8 was a failed year. Now, not making the tournament is a bad year. When we rise again, it will excite the fans and, hopefully, we won't take things for granted any longer.
    Champ - "Spoiled" probably IS the correct word for our expectations ( I prefer "jaded" ). Still, ODU had a sudden ONE SEASON drop due to injuries & youth. Well, those R the same 2 excuses ya'll have been giving CL for the past TWO seasons & our record has shown a steady decline so I see a pattern, NOT an anomaly!! ( 26-6 using KB's sorry JUCO's then 17-12 w/NO team play & finally this years' wonderful 16-15 w/no leadership from the bench, IMHO )
    ODU rebounded from that ONE bad season to get back into the tourney & has won their conference 17 straight years ( according to our ODU poster - & we DO welcome your input here ). BTW - the Colonial conference has an RPI of 70.59 ( simple scale ) vs the powerful WAC's 64.74!!
    Tech ( DR & JO ) certainly showed loyalty ( just as ODU's AD did to Coach Larry ) to CL by giving him that mid-season contract extension & how does CL respond? Only the WORST season in Techster history!! Can't wait for next year's encore!!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Actually, Gene and Champ, I think the word we are looking for is "conditioned". As in "Lady Techster fans became conditioned to NCAA tournaments, Top 10 rankings, and elite program status."

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Actually, Gene and Champ, I think the word we are looking for is "conditioned". As in "Lady Techster fans became conditioned to NCAA tournaments, Top 10 rankings, and elite program status."
    Fair enough but I, for one, REFUSE to settle for less than AT LEAST getting back into both the NCAA tourney & the Top 25. Again, IMHO, CL has clearly shown that he can do neither!!

Puppy odumonarch has turned a few heads around hereodumonarch has turned a few heads around here

Thanks for the welcome, Mean Gene!

The 1990-91 season was awful. If the Internet had been around back then, the ODU message board would've looked a lot like this one. Probably worse since La Tech hasn't fallen to 5-21. I could dig up several old newspaper articles that were pretty tough on ODU and Wendy Larry, including ESPN writer Michelle Voepel who was an ODU beat writer for a VA paper back then.

ODU in 1987 is very similar to La Tech now. Marianne Stanley left ODU after 10 years, 6 Final Fours, and 4 national titles (like Leon Barmore leaving La Tech). ODU fans wanted either Nancy Lieberman or Anne Donovan, both popular former stars (like Kim Mulkey). But Nancy never graduated (all ODU coaches must have a degree) and Anne was still training for the 1988 Olympics so neither was hired (like Mulkey, although not exactly the same).

So ODU hired Wendy Larry, a former Marianne assistant was was not very well known (like Kurt Budke and later Chris Long). Wendy had a tough early transition as many fans felt she didn't win as much or have the same personality as Marianne (like Long now compared to Leon). After going 5-21 and surprisingly keeping her job, the 1991-92 season was her moment of truth (like next season for Long).

The 1991-92 season wasn't exactly a return to glory. ODU went 20-11 and finished 3rd in the Colonial (which wasn't nearly as strong as it is today). ODU had to pull 2 upsets in the CAA tourney just to make the NCAA's (lost in the 1st round). If one of those wins had been a loss, maybe Wendy would've been fired. But it was enough for Wendy to keep her job and build on.

Reading this message board is like reliving the crazy soap opera of 1991. The good news is that ODU's story turned out okay, so I think La Tech will as well. If Long doesn't rebound La Tech like Wendy did, there will be a former player/assistant who will. I've always been really impressed with depth of the La Tech coaching tree.

Unfortunately, ODU will have to go through the soap opera again when Wendy retires. I guess it's just a constant cycle for the midmajor powers. The key is to have an AD that can find a good coach and convince them the rewards of coaching at a La Tech or ODU outweigh the challenges and the smaller pay.

Thumbs Up Re: The Road We Are On?

ODUM - Again, welcome & thanks for dropping by & sharing your info & memories! It DOES show that Tech CAN get back to it's "glory days" & no, even I know that it can't happen overnight from this point. When we lost KM as Leon's first choice we got KB & despite those on this board who didn't care for the way he did it ( used too many JUCO's, they say ) he DID keep us on top of the WAC & in the tourney. KB didn't really appeal to the blue hairs" @ Tech & it was apparent that he wanted to go home to ( the state of ) Oklahoma so when the OSU job opened up I don't blame him for leaving. Again, despite what others felt, he did NOT leave the cupboard bare for CL as witnessed by even him getting the team to the NCAA's. It was by HIS CHOICE to not use ANY JUCO's as stop-gap measures until HIS recruits came up to speed so I don't buy that as an excuse ( funny that he's already signed TWO JUCO's that I'm aware of for next season, though!! ).
    Anyway, I'm sure U've read both sides of the story so U know that there is a familar passion on this board ( much as I'm certain that ODU had on it's campus ). Tech also has a requirment for a coach to have a degree so that hinders the hiring of T-Spoon ( although I'm not certain what provisions could be made if she were to take a position as an assistant while working toward completing her degree ).
    ODU would be wise to do as Leon tried to do; that is, have an assistant "groomed" to step into his shoes as KM was but hopefully YOUR AD & school president will NOT have the ego's that Tech's version of Dumb & Dumber had!! Dumba**es!!!

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Actually MG, I think it's the NCAA that requires coaches to have a degree, not just Tech. I know when Karl offered to help out with MBB that was a big problem. Although Karl is listed as a strength and conditioning coach, he isn't allowed to get out on the court in practices or sit on the bench during games because he doesn't have the prerequisit degree.
    Last edited by Dawgfan71227; 04-06-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo

I didn't realize Spoon doesn't have a degree. I say make her an assistant next season and get her in class (that would be a fun class!). That way she would get a degree (always a good thing) and get coaching experience for when Long gets dumped.

I think Dawgfan might be right about the NCAA rule. I always wondered why the no degree rule wasn't just waived for Nancy Lieberman back in 1987. ODU has a "rule" that athletes must graduate before their jersey is retired. Yet Nancy's was retired right after her last game. ODU waives every rule for her. It must be an NCAA thing.

Side note: Nancy left ODU 2 semesters shy of graduating to try out for the 1980 Olympics. In the 1990's she wanted to get a degree for her son, so she began taking courses at...La Tech! No kidding! When ODU folks found out the most famous alumni in ODU history (not just sports) was going to have a degree from one of their rivals they pulled some strings for her to take classes at ODU. Nancy eventually graduated from ODU in 2000.

Sounds like Kurt Budke used La Tech as a stepping stone to a bigger job. That happens all the time in men's hoops (including my beloved ODU), but not as often in the women's game. I didn't really like Oklahoma St this year. Riley is a great player but very immature. She punched a Texas player in the Big 12 tourney and then punched a LSU player in the Sweet 16. Budke never did anything about it. No discipline.

Mean Gene, ODU does have a very strong assistant (Nikki Dawkins) who I hope is being groomed to replace Wendy Larry one day. Dawkins has been the head coach at 2 midmajors, an assistant at Texas Tech and Ohio St, and an assistant on one of those USA basketball teams. Dawkins is a great recruiter and the players/fans love her. I just hope a school doesn't snatch her up before Wendy retires (hands off La Tech!).

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by odumonarch View Post
    Side note: Nancy left ODU 2 semesters shy of graduating to try out for the 1980 Olympics. In the 1990's she wanted to get a degree for her son, so she began taking courses at...La Tech! No kidding! When ODU folks found out the most famous alumni in ODU history (not just sports) was going to have a degree from one of their rivals they pulled some strings for her to take classes at ODU. Nancy eventually graduated from ODU in 2000.
    Monarch,
    Legend at Tech has it that Tech Terry Bradshaw lacked some 30 credit hours for his degree when he went off to play in the NFL. Later he was allowed to come in one Saturday morning and take a few exams from Dean Penington to complete his coursework.:icon_wink:

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Eek Re: The Road We Are On?

Surely you aren't suggesting an outstanding athlete was given preferential treatment in the classroom.... That *NEVER* happens in college athletics! I'm shocked!

Big Grin Re: The Road We Are On?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Surely you aren't suggesting an outstanding athlete was given preferential treatment in the classroom.... That *NEVER* happens in college athletics! I'm shocked!
    And CERTAINLY not down at a certain school in Baton Rouge!!:icon_wink: Thank goodness that "student"/athletes like Ryan Perrilloux don't think they're above the law 'cause Les Miles surely wouldn't keep them on the team!! Ooopps!! That's ANOTHER thread on this site, isn't it??!!

MG

+ Reply to Thread