+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: interesting article on budke

Hybrid View

Bulldog dawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the roughdawg1992 is a jewel in the rough

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: interesting article on budke

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1992 View Post
    Yes, it is interesting. His quote near the end tells me he was only viewing us as a stepping stone from the very beginning. He had no commitment to Tech.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

I'd love to prove this statement wrong but unless we get a "real" H/C, it ain't gonna happen!!

“If you truly want to compete for the national championship you have to get into one of the major conferences. I don’t think the mid-majors can win the national championship in women’s basketball.”

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    “If you truly want to compete for the national championship you have to get into one of the major conferences. I don’t think the mid-majors can win the national championship in women’s basketball.”
    this is the sole reason budke left tech. the man has his faults, but he wants to compete at the highest level. he's seen how the game has changed, that the schools with money have poured it into women's basketball, leaving the mid-majors like tech way behind.

budke didn't dislike tech. his family enjoyed ruston. yes, he wanted to get closer to home. but the man simply wanted an opportunity to win a national title, and he felt he had a better chance of doing that at oklahoma state than at tech. it looks like he might be right.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: interesting article on budke

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    this is the sole reason budke left tech. the man has his faults, but he wants to compete at the highest level. he's seen how the game has changed, that the schools with money have poured it into women's basketball, leaving the mid-majors like tech way behind.

budke didn't dislike tech. his family enjoyed ruston. yes, he wanted to get closer to home. but the man simply wanted an opportunity to win a national title, and he felt he had a better chance of doing that at oklahoma state than at tech. it looks like he might be right.
    Prof - Yes & I can't find fault in that. I guess I thought he'd stay @ Tech since Leon hand-picked him as his successor when KM didn't get the spot but being from Oklahoma, I imagine he wanted to "go home". It's not often that opportunity presents itself so I wish him well ( still ). Kinda why I thought that Miles would leave LSU for Michigan but I digress.

MG

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were in the National Title game in 94 and in the Final 4 in 99. He was here in... '03-'04?? That theory gets blown out of the water to me. If he felt that TECH couldn't get back to Final Fours, then somebody really messed up the program from 2000-2003, or he felt that HE couldn't LEAD TECH back to Final Fours.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were in the National Title game in 94 and in the Final 4 in 99. He was here in... '03-'04?? That theory gets blown out of the water to me. If he felt that TECH couldn't get back to Final Fours, then somebody really messed up the program from 2000-2003, or he felt that HE couldn't LEAD TECH back to Final Fours.
    We were in the National Championship game in 1998 and lost to Tennessee. That was the year that Tennessee went undefeated.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Okay...how many of you think Dooley sees himself still at Tech in 5 years?

DD is "using" Tech as a stepping stone. Let's beat him to the punch and don't allow him to do that. Fire Dooley today! That'll show him.

I doubt it'll happen but I hope OSU wins the NC. Even then some of you will insist Budke is a lousy coach. Budke had no ties to Tech other than it was his employer. Folks continue to decry Budke's leaving, the reasons he was here, blah, blah, blah, but NEVER a word about little miss pigtails who left her alma mater in a lurch (and was the reason KB ended up here), or Mickie DeMoss who has coached elsewhere but has never seemed interested in her alma mater. And there are other examples.

You know what! Budke might be using OSU as a stepping stone too. Yeah, that's right. Don't be surprised if he's gone for more money fairly soon. Duh!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    i think what happened is budke saw how difficult it was to recruit to tech. tradition just doesn't matter much to this generation of recruits. he had a stacked team in '02-'03, with final four talent, and lost out in the sweet 16. that was his first year, i believe. i think he knew then that he couldn't win a national title at tech.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Yes, it is interesting. His quote near the end tells me he was only viewing us as a stepping stone from the very beginning. He had no commitment to Tech.
    That was the first thought I had when I read that. As I said before, he may have won here, but he didn't want to stay here. When a coach doesn't want to be around then it usually trickles down to the team. The players knew that he didn't want to be at Tech anymore. Again, not saying anything bad about him because he has done a fantastic job at OK State. He just didn't want to be here any longer, and now he actually stated publically what we thought.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    That was the first thought I had when I read that. As I said before, he may have won here, but he didn't want to stay here. When a coach doesn't want to be around then it usually trickles down to the team. The players knew that he didn't want to be at Tech anymore. Again, not saying anything bad about him because he has done a fantastic job at OK State. He just didn't want to be here any longer, and now he actually stated publically what we thought.
    I'll give you that for the sake of the discussion. Budke didn't want to be here and it trickled down to the players....who, by the way, kept winning.

Long WANTS to be here....so what is trickling down now?

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    I'll give you that for the sake of the discussion. Budke didn't want to be here and it trickled down to the players....who, by the way, kept winning.

Long WANTS to be here....so what is trickling down now?
    You can't make people want to win.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    You can't make people want to win.
    I disagree. That's what makes a good coach a great coach.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I have heard that Budke threw a playoff game to make it to his interview at Oklahoma State. His quote in the article makes me wonder if there may be a hint of truth to that speculation. Pretty obvious he wanted out of La. Tech quickly to futher his agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    I have heard that Budke threw a playoff game to make it to his interview at Oklahoma State. His quote in the article makes me wonder if there may be a hint of truth to that speculation. Pretty obvious he wanted out of La. Tech quickly to futher his agenda.
    there are conspiracy theorists out there, who shall remain nameless, who believe budke threw the second half of the temple game because he'd already accepted the job at oklahoma state. i was told he was relieved and smiling after the loss.

+ Reply to Thread