+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: interesting article on budke

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Re: interesting article on budke

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Okay...how many of you think Dooley sees himself still at Tech in 5 years?

DD is "using" Tech as a stepping stone. Let's beat him to the punch and don't allow him to do that. Fire Dooley today! That'll show him.

I doubt it'll happen but I hope OSU wins the NC. Even then some of you will insist Budke is a lousy coach. Budke had no ties to Tech other than it was his employer. Folks continue to decry Budke's leaving, the reasons he was here, blah, blah, blah, but NEVER a word about little miss pigtails who left her alma mater in a lurch (and was the reason KB ended up here), or Mickie DeMoss who has coached elsewhere but has never seemed interested in her alma mater. And there are other examples.

You know what! Budke might be using OSU as a stepping stone too. Yeah, that's right. Don't be surprised if he's gone for more money fairly soon. Duh!
    I don't think he is a lousy coach. I think the way he left Tech and the "rumors" surrounding his departure are shady to say the least. Should everyone who plays at a university be expected to want to coach there? I know a former player who has been extrememly interested in coming back to her alma mater, and was snubbed by her alma mater.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I don't think "Little Miss Pigtails" abandoned Louisiana Tech... I think Louisiana Tech (Namely DR) abandoned her. Everyone knows there are those who wanted her here and those who didn't. DR was the one who led the "those who didn't" and would not give her a fifth year on a contract because he knew that to withhold it was to see her out the door.

As for DD, IMHO, I seriously doubt he will be here for the long haul. If he finds success, he will end up in a larger conference where he can compete for national championships and make the big money. If he does not find success, the Tech faithful will call for his head on a silver platter. Either way, Louisiana Tech will be looking for a new coach and AD in the near future.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Okay...how many of you think Dooley sees himself still at Tech in 5 years?

DD is "using" Tech as a stepping stone. Let's beat him to the punch and don't allow him to do that. Fire Dooley today! That'll show him.

I doubt it'll happen but I hope OSU wins the NC. Even then some of you will insist Budke is a lousy coach. Budke had no ties to Tech other than it was his employer. Folks continue to decry Budke's leaving, the reasons he was here, blah, blah, blah, but NEVER a word about little miss pigtails who left her alma mater in a lurch (and was the reason KB ended up here), or Mickie DeMoss who has coached elsewhere but has never seemed interested in her alma mater. And there are other examples.

You know what! Budke might be using OSU as a stepping stone too. Yeah, that's right. Don't be surprised if he's gone for more money fairly soon. Duh!
    Dawg - This is another scenario in which only 3 people know the true story behind KM leaving ( DR, KM & the Good Lord ) but it won't die, either! She DIDN'T want to leave & the opportunities that she had to leave while still an A/C under LB were numerous. She stayed because SHE was Leon's original hand-picked successor to the program so I wouldn't be so quick to say she left on her own accord. I've often wondered if DR gave CL that one year extension last year ( mid-season ) as a bit of a "dig" @ KM ( although she had already gotten the upper hand by winning a NC @ Baylor ). Remember that she left because DR refused to give her a 5 year contract ( offered a 4 + an OPTION for the 5th ) yet Dumber gave CL that extension - dumba**!!
    DeMoss DID interview for the spot that CL ended up with so I wouldn't say she wasn't interested in coming back, either. There's probably much more to that story as well.

MG

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Dawg - This is another scenario in which only 3 people know the true story behind KM leaving ( DR, KM & the Good Lord ) but it won't die, either! She DIDN'T want to leave & the opportunities that she had to leave while still an A/C under LB were numerous. She stayed because SHE was Leon's original hand-picked successor to the program so I wouldn't be so quick to say she left on her own accord. I've often wondered if DR gave CL that one year extension last year ( mid-season ) as a bit of a "dig" @ KM ( although she had already gotten the upper hand by winning a NC @ Baylor ). Remember that she left because DR refused to give her a 5 year contract ( offered a 4 + an OPTION for the 5th ) yet Dumber gave CL that extension - dumba**!!
    DeMoss DID interview for the spot that CL ended up with so I wouldn't say she wasn't interested in coming back, either. There's probably much more to that story as well.

MG
    Are you sure DeMoss interviewed when Long was hired? Wasn't she already the head coach at UK? I thought they only brought in 2 people to interview. Kelly Jolly Harper (former Lady Vol) and Chris Long.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: interesting article on budke

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    Are you sure DeMoss interviewed when Long was hired? Wasn't she already the head coach at UK? I thought they only brought in 2 people to interview. Kelly Jolly Harper (former Lady Vol) and Chris Long.
    Dawg - My most humble apologizes because YOU R correct!! It was Harper & not DeMoss ( although I heard she was interested but still content @ UK ). Not really sure that I wanted to turn the Techster reins over to a Lady Vol but given what we ended up with; well, hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it!!??

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were in the National Title game in 94 and in the Final 4 in 99. He was here in... '03-'04?? That theory gets blown out of the water to me. If he felt that TECH couldn't get back to Final Fours, then somebody really messed up the program from 2000-2003, or he felt that HE couldn't LEAD TECH back to Final Fours.
    i think what happened is budke saw how difficult it was to recruit to tech. tradition just doesn't matter much to this generation of recruits. he had a stacked team in '02-'03, with final four talent, and lost out in the sweet 16. that was his first year, i believe. i think he knew then that he couldn't win a national title at tech.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    i think what happened is budke saw how difficult it was to recruit to tech. tradition just doesn't matter much to this generation of recruits. he had a stacked team in '02-'03, with final four talent, and lost out in the sweet 16. that was his first year, i believe. i think he knew then that he couldn't win a national title at tech.
    Well, that would make the case that he was just stupid, then. To have a top 16 team and not be able to recruit is ridiculous.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well, that would make the case that he was just stupid, then. To have a top 16 team and not be able to recruit is ridiculous.
    name the last big-time recruit we signed, champ. i'm talking about legitimate national-type player. if i'm not mistaken, that team that went to the sweet 16 was senior-laden, and the only two legitimate wnba-type players we've had since those seniors were erica smith-taylor and tasha crain-williams.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    name the last big-time recruit we signed, champ. i'm talking about legitimate national-type player. if i'm not mistaken, that team that went to the sweet 16 was senior-laden, and the only two legitimate wnba-type players we've had since those seniors were erica smith-taylor and tasha crain-williams.
    Those two were big time players. Budke didn't recruit anyone after that (or them either). I think Ebony Mangum was highly recruited, as well. Budke did sign her, so I give him credit for her. Next year, we have two players that are not top 10 in the country, but we beat out UGA and lsu for them.

Anyway, it is really stupid to think that a team that had the name of the Lady Techsters when Budke left couldn't draw big names. It is that "small time" thinking, though, that might have made him not a good fit at Tech. I just wish we would have known that before he came here. ODU shouldn't be able to recruit either. We were in MUCH better shape than then at that time.

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Those two were big time players. Budke didn't recruit anyone after that (or them either). I think Ebony Mangum was highly recruited, as well. Budke did sign her, so I give him credit for her. Next year, we have two players that are not top 10 in the country, but we beat out UGA and lsu for them.

Anyway, it is really stupid to think that a team that had the name of the Lady Techsters when Budke left couldn't draw big names. It is that "small time" thinking, though, that might have made him not a good fit at Tech. I just wish we would have known that before he came here. ODU shouldn't be able to recruit either. We were in MUCH better shape than then at that time.

OMG, y'all keep talking about these "top recruits." Looking at stats this year, they weren't so TOP!! Face the music, not everyone wants to be a Lady Techster and that is OKAY!! Everyone has different needs in why they choose a school. Budke's "small time thinking" is now doing big things at OSU. I don't mean to come down on you, Champ, but you seem to get offended when people choose not to come to Tech. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this.

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    OMG, y'all keep talking about these "top recruits." Looking at stats this year, they weren't so TOP!! Face the music, not everyone wants to be a Lady Techster and that is OKAY!! Everyone has different needs in why they choose a school. Budke's "small time thinking" is now doing big things at OSU. I don't mean to come down on you, Champ, but you seem to get offended when people choose not to come to Tech. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this.
    It does not offend me when people choose to not go to Tech. It offends me that someone would think that in the early 2000's, Tech was not capable of recruiting players that could win a National Championship. That was a period of time when Tech was still very competitive on the national scene.

As for my comment about the players coming in, that was a fact. I don't know how good these players will do in D1, but 2 of them had some great programs after them.

I think I better stop posting for a while on here. It is obvious that my opinions don't go for much these days. I will lay off and just read every once in a while. :icon_wink:

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm...from reading hoopgurlz it doesn't look like we "beat out UGA and LSU" for anyone. I may be wrong, as I am frequently, but to beat them out they had to make an offer just like we did and have been turned down FOR Tech.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

According to many in-the-know the state of Louisiana limits contracts, including for coaches, to one year. That is if the coach is paid using state funds. If a booster club or whatever is paying the coach then true multi-year contracts are allowed.

So, how was miss pigtails, and now CL, to have been paid? Thru strictly state funds, right. Ah, that being the case, a so-called 4-year vs. a 5-year contract was neither anyway!

Even if pigtails could have gotten a true multi-year contract what frickin' difference would 4 vs 5 make? If she was successful (and there is no reason to think she wouldn't have been) she could have been the HC at Tech for as long as she liked.

Here's my problem with pigtails: would you turn your back on Tech like she did and leave the storied Techster program in a lurch like that? I wouldn't. So frickin' what if she had a personality conflict with DR? If indeed that is what happened. Personally, I would have put Tech, and especially the Techster program, above that little rift and simply done my job.

According to many in-the-know the state of Louisiana limits contracts, including for coaches, to one year. That is if the coach is paid using state funds. If a booster club or whatever is paying the coach then true multi-year contracts are allowed.

So, how was miss pigtails, and now CL, to have been paid? Thru strictly state funds, right. Ah, that being the case, a so-called 4-year vs. a 5-year contract was neither anyway!

Even if pigtails could have gotten a true multi-year contract what frickin' difference would 4 vs 5 make? If she was successful (and there is no reason to think she wouldn't have been) she could have been the HC at Tech for as long as she liked.

Here's my problem with pigtails: would you turn your back on Tech like she did and leave the storied Techster program in a lurch like that? I wouldn't. So frickin' what if she had a personality conflict with DR? If indeed that is what happened. Personally, I would have put Tech, and especially the Techster program, above that little rift and simply done my job.
    So you're saying that "blind loyalty" is the way to go?? She DID put the Techster program that SHE HELPED BUILD first for many years by turning down multiple H/C offers from bigger schools to remain @ Tech!! So U're saying that DR ALSO didn't put the Techster program "above that little rift", I hope?? If anyone put the program in a "lurch" it was Dumba** DR!! He had Leon's #1 hand-picked successor ready to step in & because HE wanted to flex his muscles in a needless pissing contest we ( the university ) lost out. Is there a guarantee that KM could have kept us in the upper echelon of WBB? No. However, given her pedigree I certainly liked our chances better than even w/KB ( who didn't do TOO badly, despite what others may feel about him ) & CERTAINLY MUCH better than what we have now!!
    The extra year on the contract was about principle & being given what was the "norm" in the coaching industry. A 5 year contract was the USUAL offer for a H/C & when DR decided to drop that to 4 years then KM felt like she wasn't being given the same as others in the coaching field. In hindsight, THANK GOD we didn't give CL a 5 year contract or we'd have TWO more years for him to watch him finish killing what SH & LB built!!!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 03-29-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Add comment

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Not "blind loyalty" but loyalty, yes. Keep in mind I am speaking from a personal point-of-view. I, me, Dawg80, would NOT have turned down a 4-yr contract had I been in KM's place. I might have said (might have, but doubtful) Reneau is an a$$hole, blah, blah, but I would not have walked away from the Techsters. The program is more important than any one person, and that includes the president of the university. I would have remembered that the Techsters were around before DR, and will be around looooong after DR is gone!

But, again, that is just me. You can say it's not fair to hold KM to the same high standards I hold myself, and given her apprarent lack of character, I can see she pales by comparison.

Bottom line is this, I think Tech's best chance to keep the program at, or close, to an elite level, was for the chain to have gone unbroken from Barmore to Mulkey. You are right when you say there are no guarantees even KM could have kept us up there. Once the big schools started investing $millions in their WBB the deck was stacked against Tech. But, I understood, at the time and 20/20 hindsight supports it, our best, last hope to stay up there laid with Mulkey.

+ Reply to Thread