+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: interesting article on budke

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Re: interesting article on budke

One thing I saw alot of this past season was INDIVIDUAL play on the court. I didn't see an awful lot of the TEAM concept. But, when you let your players control the pace of practice and have the off-court shennaigans that the Techsters had, how can you expect anymore? The problem rest squarely in the lap of the Head Coach. Having a player that was arrested dressed and on the bench speaks volumes...

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Many interesting and pertinent points have been raised on this thread. May I add mine whether they be found interesting or pertinent.

I am amazed and appalled that anyone can question KM's character after she patiently waited so many years to have her turn at the helm of the Lady Techsters. Her character is above reproach. I read her book! She willing put her side of the contract dispute between her and DR in writing for anyone that knows the truth to challenge. So far no one has. I, for one, believe her until someone publicly proves otherwise.

The one unknown that has been omitted from the equation thus far is Leon Barmore. Who else in Ruston knew more about KM, the status of the Lady Techsters, and women's college basketball than him at the time that he resigned. Why did not DR and JO depend totally on LB's recommendation about who the next head coach should be. In her book, KM said that after several days had elapsed following LB's resignation, he asked KM if she had been approached by JO or anyone else about replacing him. She responded negative and he was shocked. Now, either he was telling her one thing and advising JO and DR in a different vein, or DR and JO never intended her to be the head coach. If KM had agreed to four years, they may have thrown another monkey wrench in the gear box for her to turn down. Who knows? However, in the coaching business it seems that there is something sacred about five years vs. four years. It may be a respect thing but KM's matter is not the first time that this has happened in the coaching world nor will it be the last.

She already had an offer from Baylor. The Baylor AD all but told her to tell him what it would take and the job was hers. In my opinion she did not abandon Tech for money. Baylor offered her several hundred grand more than Tech could ever pay her. Still she would have stayed but for the inane one year that DR used to drive her away. DR's ego is bigger than the TAC. Either that or his sense of insecurity is even bigger. IMHO he did not want to share the Tech stage with KM. He had long shared the stage with LB and he had enjoyed all of that he could stand. If you watched the Techsters WAC tournament game vs. Fresno on College Sports TV, during the game there was a commercial for Tech. Guess who was prominently exhibited at the very end of the commercial--none other than DR. His picture has to be displayed in almost every thing released by Tech about Tech. The man micro-manages to the nth degree. This is evidence of ego or insecurity.

Someone said that Kurt Budke used Tech as a stepping stone. Not so if while he was here he did what was expected of him. if so he earned his keep. I have also left one employer for another for a higher position and bigger bucks. Did I use my previous employer. NEVER! I went to work every day, did the best that I could on behalf of the company, and left with the best wishes of my boss. Budke left for bigger and better things as well as "going home." He did what was in the best interest of him and his family. I pulled for him during his stay in the NCAA this year. He is a good man. He can coach. He can recruit. He is a winner.

Now we need to circle the wagons and give CL and the Lady Techsters our undivided and loyal support in the upcoming season. Wait till next year has arrived. The same holds true for Kerry Rupp and the Dunkin Dogs. I just have a feeling that the 08-09 seasons are going to be exciting. I can't wait.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

DR is not the least bit concerned about Tech Athletics. Evidence his comment, " All Top Research Universities have Top Athletic Programs...", What an epiphany. Too bad it came too late to save the Techsters program. DR's true passion is the academic realm, especially Bio-Engineering and Micromanufacturing. These are the roots from which DR came. DR wants to make Louisiana Tech a Top Research University. I applaud that. It's a noble and worth-while goal. But, don't forget about what is literally in your front yard, which is athletics. Athletics is what brings the University much needed exposure.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

He may want to make our university a top research school, but by no measure has he ever come close to that goal. One could argue that his quest is quixotic. I wish he would retire before the end of the quarter.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I think I'm going to write a book about how I got screwed over in different situations. I know everyone will believe me because, afterall, I wrote it in a book so it shouldn't matter that it's just my side of the story. It can really be taken as the gospel truth.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I think I'm going to write a book about how I got screwed over in different situations. I know everyone will believe me because, afterall, I wrote it in a book so it shouldn't matter that it's just my side of the story. It can really be taken as the gospel truth.
    I was going to suggest some of these posters read Mein Kampf.....

Since it was penned in the autobiographical line it had to be 100% also -

And before anyone gets bent out of shape I'm not calling "little miss ponytails" a nazi, I'm just saying that it has to be true because "I read her book" is a little too much -

''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Yes it does. A business decision vs. a character issue? Hmmmm... think about that one in the context of lots of other things.

You know....Ken Lay made a "business decision" and chose to screw thousands of people because that was better for HIM and HIS FAMILY.

BTW, would KM have been hurting living on that kind of salary in Ruston?

Did DR screw up? I don't know. Does anyone think that KM, having been given the 5-yr deal, would not have been back whining at the trough for a raise? For other perks? I think, given the obvious character flaw, that it's a real possibility that NOTHING would have satisfied her for long.
    What Ken Lay did and what KMR did arent even comparable? Yeh, the money she was offered in Ruston was good money, but 99% of people move on when offered better. Nothing does satisfy people for long when you can got out in the market and get much better money. It is human nature. She did nothing unethical or illegal, just found a much better deal. Good for her.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    What Ken Lay did and what KMR did arent even comparable? Yeh, the money she was offered in Ruston was good money, but 99% of people move on when offered better. Nothing does satisfy people for long when you can got out in the market and get much better money. It is human nature. She did nothing unethical or illegal, just found a much better deal. Good for her.
    I agree, however, as I've maintained from the very beginning, I don't think she was ever going to stay because her ego wanted her to be able to say "this is what I've done.", and she couldn't do that with the Techsters. It would always have been that she "maintained" what Leon built.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Dirtydawg have you read her book? Kim Mulkey put her side of the contract fiasco into the public arena. So could any of the other players in the matter. To date none have. Therefore I choose to believe her until someone proves her wrong.

Money appears not to have been the motivating factor that drove her to leave Tech for Baylor. She had, during her 15-year tenure as an assistant coach, turned down more than one offer that paid more money. Baylor offered much more than any of the previous offers, but she held Baylor at bay until the Tech matter played itself out to her dissatisfaction.

In her book (regardless of what you think about it) she told her story without bitterness. She now recognizes that Dan Reneau did her the biggest favor that he could have done. It appears to me that it wasn't the biggest favor he could have done for the Lady Techster basketball program. His horrible decision and the fact that Tech now plays in the WAC--a conference that no one east of the Rocky Mountains gives a rats butt about except Tech fans--may be insurmountable.

Sharky, just because the others haven't put anything in a book doesn't mean Mulkey's account is more reliable. She had more to prove than they did. As far as they're concerned, it's a non-issue, maybe. Also, maybe Dr. Dan was upset that Tech was known more for its women's basketball than its academics.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Also, maybe Dr. Dan was upset that Tech was known more for its women's basketball than its academics.
    He sure has solved that problem hasn't he?

Puppy BongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to all BongDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
    Missed the game due to working--can you give details about Riley's "hit" ??? thanks
    Dude, what kind of "hit" are we talking about here? I couldn't resist the temptation given all the Holy Joe's posting here.

The BongDog is gone!

Sharky, just because the others haven't put anything in a book doesn't mean Mulkey's account is more reliable. She had more to prove than they did. As far as they're concerned, it's a non-issue, maybe. Also, maybe Dr. Dan was upset that Tech was known more for its women's basketball than its academics.
    Dirtydawg, no book was or is necessary. Either DR or JO or both of them together could hold a news conference, issue a print media release, or submit to a radio or tv interview and make their version public if it differs from hers. The situation could be that they made a very bad decision about the fifth year but neither is a liar. Thus they can't refute her version.

By the time her book was released, she had already proven everything that she needed to prove. She was a NCAA champion, a gold medalist champion, and a coaching champion--all of these accomplishments in the national and international arena. No other current collegiate women's basketball coach can say this.

It appears that it isn't a non-issue with DR. Perhaps he now appreciates the value of the national prominence that Tech formerly enjoyed thanks to the Lady Techsters.

Also, perhaps DR was fed up with Tech being identified with Leon Barmore on the national stage rather than DR. He had enjoyed all of that that he could stand, and he was not about to expose himself to the possibility of a repeat performance by KM.

It is probably just as difficult for a new head coach to take over a winning program and maintain the winning ways as it is to start from scratch. However, I believe that the X's and the O's are the easy part of coaching and the difficult part and the most imprortant part is kissing the right 18-year old butts and convincing them to be a part of your program. I believe that KM could have done that better at Tech than anyone else that I am aware of.

+ Reply to Thread