View Poll Results: New word mark, font and logo? You like?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

67 81.71%
  • No

15 18.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Font, word mark with new logo . . you like?

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Re: New Font, word mark with new logo . . you like?

Oh, and I like the look of this. The font, the state, the brochure. It all looks really good.
    I'll never buy it because it says "la" on it. But what is one less customer?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    I like it. I would probably drop the concentration of white flecks in the border just a little bit but I think it's cool, despite the shape of the state.
    The "specks" are from Dooley's brochure . . . not part of the so-called official logotype.

And, Dirty, at least you got it right about ILLUSTRIOUS. (Neve done one of these BB&B polls before. It's fun.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm not saying it needs to have every little nook and curve that the state has. I just made an observation that the state looks squat and fat. I didn't realize it was harder to duplicate a streamlined state as opposed to a squat fat state. But the fact still remains that the title of the thread asked if we liked it or not. We answered. If the criticizms aren't wanted, then maybe you should suggest to our illustrious photographer not to ask our opinions.
    I see your point. In fact, after noticing it, the shape is very distracting.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Don't you have recruiting axcess?
    Oh well, I am sure others here will thank you for asking so I could go through that long drawn out explination of "La(h)".

(I told you guys this was fun!)

No, I really won't go through the whole thing again but I will explain.
    "La" translated is the female specific definite article "the". Or the female bulldog of Tech.

Go Tech Bitches!
    I have a question on this point. This isn't just directed at you because you aren't the only one who has mentioned this in the past. And it's a serious question. I'm not trying to be a smartass. But...do those of you that use this argument really believe that the general sports' public is going to go the extra length it requires to make this observation. Granted, my brain doesn't function like the majority of folks, but when I'm watching a sport's contest, I never get into the nuances of what their names could be interpreted as in other languages. As far as those who are looking for something that they can use to try to demean us, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves. They will find something. Heck, as has been said, we are Louisiana Tech now, but that doesn't keep others from attempting to come up with derogatory nicknames. Lousyiana Tech is one that I think of at first thought. Heck, people still call us Lolly Polly. I mean. Seriously, do you all really believe that a generic sports' fan watching La Tech beat the hell out of Ms. State is going to say, "Hey, they're really calling themselves bitches in Spanish.?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

You know. After looking at it and thinking about it, I wonder if we could make the Florida parishes more to scale which would then enlarge the "ECH" of Tech. Keep the LA the same size which would make it smaller than the whole "Tech" and therefore deemphasize the "LA" and put more focus on the "Tech". I wonder if Q, or someone, could work something up based on this to see what it would look like.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I have a question on this point. This isn't just directed at you because you aren't the only one who has mentioned this in the past. And it's a serious question. I'm not trying to be a smartass. But...do those of you that use this argument really believe that the general sports' public is going to go the extra length it requires to make this observation. Granted, my brain doesn't function like the majority of folks, but when I'm watching a sport's contest, I never get into the nuances of what their names could be interpreted as in other languages. As far as those who are looking for something that they can use to try to demean us, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves. They will find something. Heck, as has been said, we are Louisiana Tech now, but that doesn't keep others from attempting to come up with derogatory nicknames. Lousyiana Tech is one that I think of at first thought. Heck, people still call us Lolly Polly. I mean. Seriously, do you all really believe that a generic sports' fan watching La Tech beat the hell out of Ms. State is going to say, "Hey, they're really calling themselves bitches in Spanish.?
    You can be a smartass on that one. We play on the same stage as the Hokies and the Cocks and some people think we will get picked on for a ridiculous translation of one word of our abbreviated name.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    You can be a smartass on that one. We play on the same stage as the Hokies and the Cocks and some people think we will get picked on for a ridiculous translation of one word of our abbreviated name.
    I know I could have been, but I am genuinely interested in hearing what they have to say about it. I figured, to get a serious answer, it would be better for me not to do what comes naturally.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I've never came across anyone using "LA TECH" as a derogatory nickname. If someone does say la tech, i'm not offended. Most non-tech people thinks it's our short hand name.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

I have a question on this point. This isn't just directed at you because you aren't the only one who has mentioned this in the past. And it's a serious question. I'm not trying to be a smartass. But...do those of you that use this argument really believe that the general sports' public is going to go the extra length it requires to make this observation. Granted, my brain doesn't function like the majority of folks, but when I'm watching a sport's contest, I never get into the nuances of what their names could be interpreted as in other languages.
    I agree, I don't do that either. But since you asked I have been thinking and I can't think of any school who's name could be translated to another language. Can you? So to have never of done that shouldn't surprise anyone because you can't. Let me ask you this. Have you ever seen or heard of a mascot and thought about what it was or what it looked like?

As far as those who are looking for something that they can use to try to demean us, it doesn't matter what we call ourselves. They will find something. Heck, as has been said, we are Louisiana Tech now, but that doesn't keep others from attempting to come up with derogatory nicknames. Lousyiana Tech is one that I think of at first thought. Heck, people still call us Lolly Polly. I mean. Seriously, do you all really believe that a generic sports' fan watching La Tech beat the hell out of Ms. State is going to say, "Hey, they're really calling themselves bitches in Spanish.?
    I realize you can't stop it. But we made a conscience effort to name our female sports "Lady Techsters" because calling our lady athletes "Lady Bulldogs' or "bitches" was NOT exceptable. The only thing worse than calling our lady athletes female bulldogs would be to call our male athletes female bulldogs.

It's done. I understand. It started a long time ago (even though we had a "standards" policy that STILL doesn't allow it) and allowed others to do whatever they wanted. The point is when you abreviate Louisiana you turn it into a word that is not english but is a word in other languages. One of which is the most widely spoken language in the world and a close second in our country (I wonder if you look at the areas marketed by our conference which language in more prominent) in which it implies female.

If we are going to use "La(h)" we better define what the meaning is. Instead of letting others interpret it for us.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

Don't know if anyone had Speech class with Dr. Minchew at Tech...but if you did you might remember he was extremely adamant on how the state we lived in was to be pronounced.

He said the correct way was to say: loo-z-ana(soft emphasis on the Z) NOT la-wee-z-ana
    If he heard a student in his class pronounce it --la-wee-z-ana he would fail them-period..

He maintained and is correct that the state was name in honor of King Louis XIV..
    and of course his name was pronounced : loo-is...

The actual name was" la louisiane" or the Land of Louis.

I can see both sides of this squabble....if the broadcasters in La had from the beginning of time taken Dr. Minchew's correct prounciation of the word ..we wouldn't have the national media saying that the name has too many sylables or whatever...

I have done commercial production and voice work throughout our state and other states and always use Dr. Minchews prounciation---never had it thrown back at me for re-do.

I just wish all broadcast would pronounce it the proper way...

as far as print....I really don't see any problem....the U.S postal service has subscibed all states to a standard abbreviation...our state is La.

So when people see the "La" they don't really see or think LAH...?? In their minds they see Louisiana.
    When you see the abbreviation "Al." do you think Al or Alabama.."Tx" is what -Tex or Texas etc.

I like the new logo--a lot!
    It will not be hard for me to refer to Tech as LATECH cause I'll probably always say it
    Loo-z-ana Tech

Quote Originally Posted by TECHAJUN View Post
    Don't know if anyone had Speech class with Dr. Minchew at Tech...but if you did you might remember he was extremely adamant on how the state we lived in was to be pronounced.

He said the correct way was to say: loo-z-ana(soft emphasis on the Z) NOT la-wee-z-ana
    If he heard a student in his class pronounce it --la-wee-z-ana he would fail them-period..

He maintained and is correct that the state was name in honor of King Louis XIV..
    and of course his name was pronounced : loo-is...

The actual name was" la louisiane" or the Land of Louis.

I can see both sides of this squabble....if the broadcasters in La had from the beginning of time taken Dr. Minchew's correct prounciation of the word ..we wouldn't have the national media saying that the name has too many sylables or whatever...

I have done commercial production and voice work throughout our state and other states and always use Dr. Minchews prounciation---never had it thrown back at me for re-do.

I just wish all broadcast would pronounce it the proper way...

as far as print....I really don't see any problem....the U.S postal service has subscibed all states to a standard abbreviation...our state is La.

So when people see the "La" they don't really see or think LAH...?? In their minds they see Louisiana.
    When you see the abbreviation "Al." do you think Al or Alabama.."Tx" is what -Tex or Texas etc.

I like the new logo--a lot!
    It will not be hard for me to refer to Tech as LATECH cause I'll probably always say it
    Loo-z-ana Tech
    I always thought that it was named after King Louis and Queen Anne hence, the Louisiana with "i" pronounced like the long "e" since that is the French conjunction "and" I thought. So, I thought it was Louis and Anne. La Louisiane.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    I agree, I don't do that either. But since you asked I have been thinking and I can't think of any school who's name could be translated to another language. Can you? So to have never of done that shouldn't surprise anyone because you can't. Let me ask you this. Have you ever seen or heard of a mascot and thought about what it was or what it looked like?
    My point wasn't that people try to change the name of a school to that from something of another language. Simply that they change the name at all as a joke. It doesn't happen unless the person has a personal reason, i.e rivalry, to do so.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

King Louis XIV wife's name was Marie...his mother was Queen Anna of Austria...
    La Louisiane is french for "land of Louis" notice it the "e" at the end instead of "a"

Quote Originally Posted by TECHAJUN View Post
    King Louis XIV wife's name was Marie...his mother was Queen Anna of Austria...
    La Louisiane is french for "land of Louis" notice it the "e" at the end instead of "a"
    Please don't think I was questioning you. Just stating what I always though, and I can't remember why I even thought that. Maybe the two times I had to take Louisiana History got the information mixed up in my head.

and please note I'm trying to remember classes from way back...and some history from grandparents and some historians from St. Landry Parish...so when it comes to names and history in La...anything goes

+ Reply to Thread