+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Recession' Is a Media Myth

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Re: The 'Recession' Is a Media Myth

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    A little perspective on the economy would be helpful. The average unemployment rate during President Clinton was 5.2 percent. The average under President George W. Bush is just slightly below 5.2. The current unemployment rate is4.8 percent, almost half a percentage point lower than these averages.
    The experts are predicting us to hit 5.0 next time due to "deferred" layoffs. Also, what percent of the economy is "underemployed" (i.e., not full time). Any idea how that compares with the Clinton years?

I do know that it is a bad time to be looking for a job...

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    He'll never admit that he and his tree hugging democrat buddies are the reason gas is so high.
    The price of gasoline is so "high" is because oil demand in China and India is going through the roof.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    The price of gasoline is so "high" is because oil demand in China and India is going through the roof.
    ...and we refuse to tap the resources available to us, like ANWR and off the California and Florida coastlines.

Instead of choosing to control our own destiny, we have chosen to be a dem...er...victim.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    My wife was a power trader for 5 years, so she knew a little about risk and making money. She understood hedging...the whole nine yards. She day traded for 6 months in 1999...remember the market was flying! She started with $20,000...she had less than $7,000 when she threw in the towel. Her comment was that you either had to have lots of money so you could actually shift a market or be just plain lucky. She then took the $7,000 and went to her strength: energy trading. By the time she made that move, so many day tarders had gotten into that arena that there was no measure of certainty. Thus, anything you did was pure speculation. She worked at that for about 3 weeks, lost another $1,500, and I pulled the plug...I had enough writeoffs!
    Even if you had the money to shift a market, if you arent following fundamentals, the market will eventually swing against you. That is what happened to Amaranth. They used their weight to push the market around, but the fundies overcame their positions causing them to lose 2 billion dollars in a day. Not to mention, they also got into trouble for trying to influence settlement prices by liquidiating their positions at close. But, they are the main reason for energy trading regulation. They set the blueprint for market abuse.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    ...and we refuse to tap the resources available to us, like ANWR and off the California and Florida coastlines.

Instead of choosing to control our own destiny, we have chosen to be a dem...er...victim.
    Those "potential" oil resources are not enough to alter world demand for oil. We should be street-smart like the Chinese and save what's left of our oil resources for future needs, i.e., control demand. The fact of the matter is that we need to develop alternative fuel sources/technology to do what needs to be done with the amount of energy we are currently using or even less.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Those "potential" oil resources are not enough to alter world demand for oil. We should be street-smart like the Chinese and save what's left of our oil resources for future needs, i.e., control demand. The fact of the matter is that we need to develop alternative fuel sources/technology to do what needs to be done with the amount of energy we are currently using or even less.
    I'm confused Salty. A strict opponent of global warming like yourself surely wouldn't suggest that we follow the energy policies of one of the worst poluters in the world. Between China and India, it won't matter if we cut our carbon emissions to zero, the "carbonization" of the atmosphere will keep going strong.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

That's a reply right out of the "Go Green" handbook. Been watching The Weather Channel and CNN too much Salty. All this time I had you figured for an isolationalist who shouldn't care much about "world" demand.

Anybody else sick of the Weather Channel's constant whinning about going green? "Try only flushing the toilet one time per day. Over a lifetime you will save 25 billion gallons of water." Can't wait for the special series on how to put an outhouse in your backyard.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    I do know that it is a bad time to be looking for a job...
    I just got a job offer yesterday. and a nice pay raise out of it too! my personal economy is doing ok despite the higher gas and food costs.

That's a reply right out of the "Go Green" handbook. Been watching The Weather Channel and CNN too much Salty. All this time I had you figured for an isolationalist who shouldn't care much about "world" demand.

Anybody else sick of the Weather Channel's constant whinning about going green? "Try only flushing the toilet one time per day. Over a lifetime you will save 25 billion gallons of water." Can't wait for the special series on how to put an outhouse in your backyard.
    You got something against out-houses?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I'm confused Salty. A strict opponent of global warming like yourself surely wouldn't suggest that we follow the energy policies of one of the worst poluters in the world. Between China and India, it won't matter if we cut our carbon emissions to zero, the "carbonization" of the atmosphere will keep going strong.
    Johnny, look at it this way. 3 sinners are walking down the road and one of them says, "i'm going to accept Jesus as my personal savior because I'm sick and tried of sinning." The other 2 sinners look at each other and start laughing. "You can do what you want but we are going to keep on sinning," one of them says. "We like sinning.!" So the sinner that was going to repent changed his mind and continued his sinful ways because he enjoyed sinning too if though he knew it was wrong.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting we follow the air pollution control policies of India or China, just that we control demand and save our resources. You know, the good stewards of the land and all that crap.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

just that we control demand and save our resources. You know, the good stewards of the land and all that crap.

How Sweet! Got one of those "Go Green" ribbons on your lapel yet?

just that we control demand and save our resources. You know, the good stewards of the land and all that crap.

How Sweet! Got one of those "Go Green" ribbons on your lapel yet?
    I'm a member of the Sierra Club. Does that count?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting we follow the air pollution control policies of India or China, just that we control demand and save our resources. You know, the good stewards of the land and all that crap.
    yeah, cause air pollution and energy policies have nothing to do with each other...
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow

I don't care about altering world demand. I just want to work on our own American supply and yes demand. Whcih means drilling where DNW just stated above as well as other spots the DEMS have kept us from drilling, producing and refining.

+ Reply to Thread