Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
And 6 more at random?
OK I looked real quick at the Mavs schedule and it looks like I was correct about the West playing the East 2 times. One home, One away. I was also correct about division games. The Mavs played everyone in their division 4 times. But I noticed they played some of the teams in the Northwest division (Utah,Portland,Seattle) 4 times. Still seems short 1 game. ....odd. I checked the NBA website and couldn't find anything.

I did get this off some random question and answer yahoo site:

"The NBA scheduling format works like this...you play teams in your own division (Pacific, Southwest, Northwest, Atlantic, Central, and Southeast) four times a year (two games at home, two on the road). You play the other teams in the other divisions within your conference 3-4 times a year (those are determine rather randomly). Finally, you play the other teams in the opposite conference twice a year (one at home, one on the road).

Now, as far as who plays who when and where, those dates are usually determined by each arena's booking schedules. If a NBA team shares an arena with a hockey team, usually the hockey team gets first dibs on scheduling dates, mostly because they start their season a month before a NBA team does. National TV broadcasters often also determine dates and times as well, because they want the "marquee game", like the Lakers-Heat Xmas day game in Miami this year."