+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawfish Prices

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Crawfish Prices

I haven't cooked any this year because I refuse to pay over $1.25/lb for them live, which is still too much. I had heard there was a dispute between the farmers and the "middle man" over the prices, but just saw a news clip saying that farmers are only getting 40 cents. The last time I checked prices here in N.E La. were still over $1.50.

Curious about the prices some of you guys are paying for the large quantities you are purchasing for big boils. I remember not too many years ago when crawfish were a cheap way to feed lots of folks.

BTW, I steam crawfish instead of boiling them. Anybody else do this?

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Crawfish Prices

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I haven't cooked any this year because I refuse to pay over $1.25/lb for them live, which is still too much. I had heard there was a dispute between the farmers and the "middle man" over the prices, but just saw a news clip saying that farmers are only getting 40 cents. The last time I checked prices here in N.E La. were still over $1.50.

Curious about the prices some of you guys are paying for the large quantities you are purchasing for big boils. I remember not too many years ago when crawfish were a cheap way to feed lots of folks.

i've been holding out as well with Ponch getting over 4 dollars a pound and Cajun Cafe getting almost 4 dollars a pound i cant justify getting any. Called cypress inn yesterday and their crawfish were around 2.79 a pound boiled and 1.40 or so live. They're getting closer to my price range for sure. Our church is having a crawfish deal this saturday evening so that'll be my frist go at them this year.

No doubt there is some price fixing going on this year and prob is every year but this is ureal.

Back when i was in high school in Lafayette, my dad had a connection that got him hooked up direct with one of the crawfish farmers in the area. now that was sweet. I think we had crawfish at least every other weekend back then :icon_wink:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Have you tried Walmart?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Have you tried Walmart?
    You are wrong for that
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

...Dirtydawg trying to stir crap between us Chou.

Back when i was in high school in Lafayette, my dad had a connection that got him hooked up direct with one of the crawfish farmers in the area. now that was sweet. I think we had crawfish at least every other weekend back then

We had a couple of crawfish farmers in Richland Parish a few years ago. I don't think either one of them are in business now, but we would buy direct and didn't mind paying a tad above wholesale. What's a fair markup? 50%...100%... @ $1.40 the retail guys are charging 250%. The folks selling them cooked for $4 are marking up NINE HUNDRED PERCENT!

Think about it. Five pounds plus a few adult beverages = $30+ for one person. I'd rather have steak.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I am having a boil this Saturday in Frisco and the local Tom Thumb grocery store is getting in live crawfish at 0.99 / lb. We ordered 3 sacks for the boil. Not sure why it is so more expensive for you guys in Ruston.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    I am having a boil this Saturday in Frisco and the local Tom Thumb grocery store is getting in live crawfish at 0.99 / lb. We ordered 3 sacks for the boil. Not sure why it is so more expensive for you guys in Ruston.
    Price gouging comes to mind. Seems that Tom Thumb is satisfied with 150% markup.

These farmers need to find some other folks to market their product up here.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

they aren't cheap down here (new orleans) from what i've heard...i haven't done the pricing myself. i know that a friend of mine paid $1.55/lb because he called me to complain shortly after he bought them.

Bulldog Northwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the roughNorthwest Louisiana T.A.G. is a jewel in the rough Northwest Louisiana T.A.G.'s Avatar

Just
    Join us
    Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bossier Civic Center, Bossier City, LA
    6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
    $20 Advance Ticket (Children under 12 admitted FREE)
    $25 at the Door
    "Dooley's In The House!"
    Guest Speaker:
    Athletic Director & Head Football Coach
    Derek Dooley
    Tickets on sale at all locations of Maxwell's Market, Standard Printing, Time-It Lubes, and Citizen Bank & Trust of Vivian
    Get Your Tickets Now!

Thanks for starting this thread. It reminding me I needed to post this!

Thanks for the reminder. Me and Choudawg could put the hurt on an "all you can eat" thing, but I'm sure our friend Tmo would remind us that "all you can eat" is NOT a mandate.

Great promotion you guys have put together!!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

It's expensive down here in to, I went last weekend and the cheapest was 1.30 and they were of questionable quality, we ended up getting a sack for a 1.50 down in Erath.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Just popping in to say that steaming crawfish is just wrong. Went to a boil at a professor's house one time at Tech, and the student doing the boiling boiled them in plain water, dumped them in an ice chest, and then just poured cayenne pepper on them...thats even more wrong than steaming.

You need a boiling pot full of cayenne, maybe some crab boil, corn, potatoes, sausage, lemon, onion, and garlic. Thats the ONLY way to do it. :-P
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    Just popping in to say that steaming crawfish is just wrong. Went to a boil at a professor's house one time at Tech, and the student doing the boiling boiled them in plain water, dumped them in an ice chest, and then just poured cayenne pepper on them...thats even more wrong than steaming.

You need a boiling pot full of cayenne, maybe some crab boil, corn, potatoes, sausage, lemon, onion, and garlic. Thats the ONLY way to do it. :-P
    You are correct sir.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

At $0.99 lb. they must be getting the little dads we used to catch in the creek behind the house.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

How is TX getting better prices than us?

+ Reply to Thread