+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a strange request - Outlaw Country

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I have a strange request - Outlaw Country

Anybody that knows my music tastes knows that I rarely, rarely listen to country music. However, I have a weird thing about collecting and sorting things, especially music. Recently, I read an article on Wikipedia on Outlaw country music. I'm wanting to get copies of this type music and hear it before I buy the songs on line.

Does anybody near the Ruston area have CDs with this genre of music. The names listed on Wikipedia are:

Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    David Allen Coe
    Willie Nelson
    Billy Joe Shaver

I'm especially interested in the females listed because I've never even heard of them:

Jessi Colter
    Sammi Smith

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: I have a strange request - Outlaw Country

Use youtube to search for videos and live performances -

I would also suggest -

The Outlaws
    Marshall Tucker Band
    Molley Hatchett

They are more of a southern/rock influence - but are all along the same line of music -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Anybody that knows my music tastes knows that I rarely, rarely listen to country music. However, I have a weird thing about collecting and sorting things, especially music. Recently, I read an article on Wikipedia on Outlaw country music. I'm wanting to get copies of this type music and hear it before I buy the songs on line.

Does anybody near the Ruston area have CDs with this genre of music. The names listed on Wikipedia are:

Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    David Allen Coe
    Willie Nelson
    Billy Joe Shaver

I'm especially interested in the females listed because I've never even heard of them:

Jessi Colter
    Sammi Smith
    I have a like a 5 cd collection of johnny cash. I also have various cd's with all the others. I recommend you listen to some of them by downloading from one of those illegal sites, before you pay for them. You can't go wrong with any of those artists, so you may just wanna go ahead and pay for a few. Every one of those artists are true legends in singing and songwriting. I esp. like Billy Joe Shaver. WARNING- some of d.a. coe's Old stuff can be a little controversial.

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by honker22 View Post
    I have a like a 5 cd collection of johnny cash. I also have various cd's with all the others. I recommend you listen to some of them by downloading from one of those illegal sites, before you pay for them. You can't go wrong with any of those artists, so you may just wanna go ahead and pay for a few. Every one of those artists are true legends in singing and songwriting. I esp. like Billy Joe Shaver. WARNING- some of d.a. coe's Old stuff can be a little controversial.
    A LITTLE controversial?

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    David Allen Coe
    Willie Nelson
    Billy Joe Shaver

Jessi Colter
    Sammi Smith
    grab you some Shooter Jennings or check him out on you tube. actually if you listen to kxkz at 6 on mondays you might hear something that might appeal to ya. Texas country has an edge to it that comes straight out of the styles of the ones you listed before.

also check out the Outlaw cds with willie, waylon, chris c. and cash. I believe Jessi Colter is on the first one also.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Sooner, I'm sure you read the wik info, but this was big back in the early to mid 70s. There was actually one eight track :icon_wink: called "The Outlaws". I think I still have it.

Wasn't Jessi Colter Waylon's wife? Sammi Smith was HOT in her time! Best I can recall, Jessi Colter never had many hits, but Sammi Smith had a few.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Had to go do a little surfing...

Sammi Smith's biggest hit was "Help me make it through the night", written by Kris Kristoferson. Jessi Colter's only hit was "I'm not Lisa". You remember those right?

Check out the first few on this link...

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...link%5Fcode=qs

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Tom Paul Glaser, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Coulter, David Allan Coe...the most entertaining song of the lot: Me and Paul
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Willie's version of "You were always on my mind" is legendary. One of my very favorite songs of all time

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Waylon Jennings
    Johnny Cash
    Willie Nelson

I dont listen to current country, but I do listen to those three plus Merle Haggard. Im kind of like you, I bought some CDs a few years ago to check them out and I really like them. I listen to Cash and Willie a lot now.

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    I dont listen to current country, but I do listen to those three plus Merle Haggard. Im kind of like you, I bought some CDs a few years ago to check them out and I really like them. I listen to Cash and Willie a lot now.
    Then you should like pretty much anything country pre early eighties. Male singers anyway.

Never was a big Willie Nelson fan myself. Conway Twitty, George Jones, Don Williams and many others.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Sooner -

I need to send you some Marty Robbins....
    Last edited by Dwayne From Minden; 04-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Sonner -

I need to send you some Marty Robbins....
    I was gonna say Marty Robbins, but didn't figure anybody would know...

See if you can dig up some Jim Reeves for him too or maybe even Tennessee Ernie Ford.

I've got some ET and I've got some Johnny Horton, he needs some Whispering Pines, Sink the Bismark and North To Alaska -

I think I just might have to burn Santiago a few cd's this week....

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I've got some ET and I've got some Johnny Horton, he needs some Whispering Pines, Sink the Bismark and North To Alaska -

I think I just might have to burn Santiago a few cd's this week....
    Be sure to surprise him with a little Brittney. He'll love you for it.

+ Reply to Thread