+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TSPOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: TSPOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    How many hours is she shy of getting her degree? If CL gets canned next year, she needs to be ready.

i was told this week by someone who has an office that is on a high floor; that these things have a way of working themselves out.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    I wonder Reneau is looking at this as a possiblity to right his wrong with Mulkey. Long's days are limited.
    Although I've been one of the biggest anti-Long posters on here ( along w/my tag-team partner FFA! ), I see just the opposite. Hiring 'Spoon ( whether it was his decision or DR's ) is a first step in CL keeping his job, IMO. As I said before, I have nothing personal against CL except that he isn't HC material AS THINGS STOOD BEFORE THIS HIRING!!:icon_wink: Much like Sonja did w/Leon, if he'll just back off & let 'Spoon do her thing ( recruit, teach & motivate - something CL CLEARLY couldn't do!! ) & perhaps bring in some other ex-Techsters to do the same, I see no reason that we can't get back into at least the Sweet 16 and/or Elite 8. I'm just not certain that we have the financial resources to compete w/Tenn; UConn; etc to make the Final 4 & beyond ( but I hope I'm wrong!! ).
    Like FFA, I'm actually a LITTLE more optimistic about next season. NOW maybe someone can help CL get us a few bigger players.

MG

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Maybe the sleeves are on their way back!!!!!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Although I've been one of the biggest anti-Long posters on here ( along w/my tag-team partner FFA! ), I see just the opposite. Hiring 'Spoon ( whether it was his decision or DR's ) is a first step in CL keeping his job, IMO. As I said before, I have nothing personal against CL except that he isn't HC material AS THINGS STOOD BEFORE THIS HIRING!!:icon_wink: Much like Sonja did w/Leon, if he'll just back off & let 'Spoon do her thing ( recruit, teach & motivate - something CL CLEARLY couldn't do!! ) & perhaps bring in some other ex-Techsters to do the same, I see no reason that we can't get back into at least the Sweet 16 and/or Elite 8. I'm just not certain that we have the financial resources to compete w/Tenn; UConn; etc to make the Final 4 & beyond ( but I hope I'm wrong!! ).
    Like FFA, I'm actually a LITTLE more optimistic about next season. NOW maybe someone can help CL get us a few bigger players.

MG
    Honestly, we never had the resources to compete, but we did. The money goes into facilities and coaches salaries - other than that, it is a pretty even playing field. The only other thing that costs a lot is the recruiting travel budget. Basketball powers come from all different size schools. You don't have to be a bcs football power to be a power in bball - mens or womens. I guess I get a little tired of us always thinking we are so far down the food chain - we are not. I am not directing that at you MG. In fact, you are one of those that demands more, so I don't put you in that category. We need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get busy doing something again. We are starting to do it with mbb and it should be even easier for our wbb program, since we have been to the top of the mountain (and lived there for 20 years).

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Has Tspoon ever coached anywhere before? This is a sincere question on my part. If she has, then I am ignorant of that fact, but then we all are ignorant, just about different things. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on everyone's celebration. but there are many more good players in every sport than there are good coaches.

She was a special talent as a player. I just hope that she can transfer her knowledge and experience of the game to the players. If she has never coached, then the jury is still out on her coaching ability.

Regardless, she should be able to recruit on her reputation as a player (both college and pro) alone. I too am excited and optimistic that she can be a significant contributor to the future of the Lady Techsters. I hope so because next year has arrived. We need all the help that we can get.

I assume that Brooke has resigned her position and that CL still has two more coaching vacancies to fill. Anyone speculating on candidates for those?

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I heard CL was in negotiations with Linda Harper

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Has Tspoon ever coached anywhere before? This is a sincere question on my part. If she has, then I am ignorant of that fact, but then we all are ignorant, just about different things. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on everyone's celebration. but there are many more good players in every sport than there are good coaches.

She was a special talent as a player. I just hope that she can transfer her knowledge and experience of the game to the players. If she has never coached, then the jury is still out on her coaching ability.

Regardless, she should be able to recruit on her reputation as a player (both college and pro) alone. I too am excited and optimistic that she can be a significant contributor to the future of the Lady Techsters. I hope so because next year has arrived. We need all the help that we can get.

I assume that Brooke has resigned her position and that CL still has two more coaching vacancies to fill. Anyone speculating on candidates for those?
    Spoon has been head coaching a men's ABA team this past year.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

I remember bringing up this possibility last year about this time and I got crucified, especially by dirtydawg. Now it seems like this is the best move we have ever made. It's just a little funny to me. I guess I was just getting hazed b/c I was new to the board back then.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Basketball Re: TSPOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post

Valid points. It's pretty common to see ( in men's sports, at least ) that success that persons who were superstars as players often doesn't continue when they become coaches. Players like Ted Williams & Frank Robinson in baseball come to my mind. It's usually the players who were average ( or slightly above average ) that turn into great coaches ( Pat Riley & Phil Jackson, for example ).
    Just so I know - was Pat Summit any good or did she even play WBB?

MG

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I don't see Unk Junk Lee () moving mountains over at ULM... Like her or not, she was great PG and the results aren't there.

Thumbs Up Re: TSPOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    I don't see Unk Junk Lee () moving mountains over at ULM... Like her or not, she was great PG and the results aren't there.
    Oh, yeah!! I remember the days when she'd go head to head w/Kim ALL game long!!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Valid points. It's pretty common to see ( in men's sports, at least ) that success that persons who were superstars as players often doesn't continue when they become coaches. Players like Ted Williams & Frank Robinson in baseball come to my mind. It's usually the players who were average ( or slightly above average ) that turn into great coaches ( Pat Riley & Phil Jackson, for example ).
    Just so I know - was Pat Summit any good or did she even play WBB?

MG
    Summit played on an Olympic team, but that was so long ago not sure how good that means she was--certainly good for her time.

The key thing about superstars is whether they can communicate *how* to play. They often have mastered skills so thoroughly that they simply don't know how to teach those who don't know. If Spoon can do that, she'll be OK. The strong point is that point guards often do well because they understand the range of the game better than other players. In many ways, it's not that different from Mulkey -- and Spoon always had a much better personality.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDawg View Post
    i was told this week by someone who has an office that is on a high floor; that these things have a way of working themselves out.
    Let the Shennanigans begin!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theinsider View Post
    check out more on what happened at www.latechreport.com
    Lee, you said Spoon was the best point guard in Techster history....yeah, and the sun will rise in the east tomorrow too. Talk about an understatement!!!! Spoon was not only the best point guard, but pound for pound, the best player in Techster history, IMO.

Can she coach? I don't know. Could she play? Hell yeah!

The Techster program just bounced off the bottom....borrowing a stock market expression. Meaning, we have seen the very bottom, the lowest of the low. From here, the Techsters begin the long climb back up. This is awesome news.

Now, while I know we are currently guard-heavy, there is a certain guard in Louisiana that Spoon needs to recruit. I have always thought you recruit the VERY best players you can, then build a system around them. You recruit winners.

Spoon will bring a spark back to the program. Somewhere Leon is smiling today....

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    I remember bringing up this possibility last year about this time and I got crucified, especially by dirtydawg. Now it seems like this is the best move we have ever made. It's just a little funny to me. I guess I was just getting hazed b/c I was new to the board back then.
    Crucified? Wow. That's a little harsh, isn't it? I don't ever remember crucifying anyone. I might have disagreed, (quite frankly, I don't remember) but crucified? Maybe, being new to the board, you were a little overly sensitive? Either way, I'm sure you've figured out by now that I'm not the all knowing Techster god of the board.

+ Reply to Thread