+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there is any hope

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

If there is any hope

Tech will first need some help from mother nature and play all four games at San Jose. Second they will have to win all of them in order to have any chance at making the tournament. So far almost every series has been concluded by sweeps. Unfortunately Tech's lost series have all come by being swept. The one positive is that Tech won 2 of 3 from SJ earlier this season, so they can beat them. San Jose is Tech's only way into the tourney.

Game one is critical and the key to salvaging the season. If Tech can't win the first one they could very well fold. With a win they could get the confidence needed to work their way back. This team doesn't have much skill or shown much character and can't afford to get behind early. If Sims has any trick up his short sleave now is definately the time to use it.

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing for them to stay in California the whole week. In Tech's past we haven't fared well trying to mix business with pleasure. They sure shouldn't be conbsidering this a vacation because they certainly haven't earned it.

Varsity Bulldog rustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her game

Re: If there is any hope

It's more about economics and logistics than giving the guys a vacation. It would cost far more to fly back either tonight or Monday, then turn around and fly back out to the West Coast on Wednesday or Thursday. Not to mention the weariness of everyone after a 3-hour drive to San Fran, a 4-hour flight to Dallas (if not changing airports) and a 5-hour drive back to Ruston. Staying in California is really the only thing that makes sense.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Tech will first need some help from mother nature and play all four games at San Jose. Second they will have to win all of them in order to have any chance at making the tournament. So far almost every series has been concluded by sweeps. Unfortunately Tech's lost series have all come by being swept. The one positive is that Tech won 2 of 3 from SJ earlier this season, so they can beat them. San Jose is Tech's only way into the tourney.

Game one is critical and the key to salvaging the season. If Tech can't win the first one they could very well fold. With a win they could get the confidence needed to work their way back. This team doesn't have much skill or shown much character and can't afford to get behind early. If Sims has any trick up his short sleave now is definately the time to use it.

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing for them to stay in California the whole week. In Tech's past we haven't fared well trying to mix business with pleasure. They sure shouldn't be conbsidering this a vacation because they certainly haven't earned it.
    While I agree we need to start winning now, how would we be eliminated from the tourney by losing any games at San Jose? We still have 3 more series after this one. I'm not very good at math, so you may have to explain this one to me.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Its not a matter of math but probability. San Jose is the second worst team in the WAC. If we can't beat them then we can't catch up with anyone else.

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

As host team for the tournament, Tech gets an automatic bid to the WAC tournament. Not to say that we will be proud of getting in this way.

I agree that Tech needs to turn things around and get some momentum over the last half of the season. As bad as the first half has been. the second half could be the opposite.

Player's confidence is a huge factor in any sport. This team needs some and now!!

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech78 View Post
    As host team for the tournament, Tech gets an automatic bid to the WAC tournament. Not to say that we will be proud of getting in this way.

I agree that Tech needs to turn things around and get some momentum over the last half of the season. As bad as the first half has been. the second half could be the opposite.

Player's confidence is a huge factor in any sport. This team needs some and now!!
    Is that how it works? Are you sure of that? I was not aware of that.

Puppy KDawg is an unknown

I'm pretty sure this is not true. The announcement for last year's tournament said the 6 teams would be determined by the regular season record. Earlier today, Wade was talking about us needing to be either the 1st or 6th seed to have the best chance in the tournament and he sounded like he only hoped we would be the 6th. I hope you are right, but I don't think so. Where did you get this information?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Perhaps it changed, but until at least Mar 22, 2007 per the official WAC site this was the baseball tournament criteria:

POSTSEASON TOURNAMENT – Last year, the WAC reinstated a postseason tournament for the first time since 1999 season. The top six finishers in the WAC standings will play a double-elimination format at Peccole Park in Reno, Nevada, May 24-27. The winner will receive the WAC’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post

They have skill, they just aren't playing well...at all

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is not true. The announcement for last year's tournament said the 6 teams would be determined by the regular season record. Earlier today, Wade was talking about us needing to be either the 1st or 6th seed to have the best chance in the tournament and he sounded like he only hoped we would be the 6th. I hope you are right, but I don't think so. Where did you get this information?
    If he is hoping for a 1 seed, he needs to be on some SERIOUS MEDS! I mean, its not like we are losing games by one run. We are getting our ... handed to us.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: If there is any hope

Baseball is a game of momentum and unexplained phenomenon......case in point....this years highly touted Detroit Tigers.....
    Crede, Konerko Hit Slams to Rout Tigers

By The Associated Press – 4 hours ago
    Joe Crede and Paul Konerko had a grand time against the Detroit Tigers. Then again, just about everybody is these days.
    Crede and Konerko each hit grand slams to back Javier Vazquez's strong start, the first time the White Sox have had two slams in the same game in a dozen years, and Chicago pounded the struggling Tigers 11-0 in Detroit on Sunday.
    Konerko's homer came in the third inning off Kenny Rogers and Crede's grand slam, his second this season, came in the fifth against Zach Miner as the White Sox won for the fifth time in six games over Detroit, the preseason favorite to win the AL Central.
    Chicago has a 5 1/2-game lead in the division over the Tigers, who have the worst record in the majors at 2-10. The White Sox have outscored Detroit 46-12 this season, despite the Tigers adding slugging third baseman Miguel Cabrera to an already loaded lineup.
    "Where we're at makes sense because that's the way we've played," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "It's not surprising that we're 2-10. We've been shut out four times. ... I didn't think we'd get shut out four times all year, to be honest with you."
    After the game, Leyland was heard screaming in the clubhouse before reporters were allowed inside. He wouldn't comment on the rant, but the crusty manager said it wasn't just about another lopsided loss.
    "We're just in a funk," he said. "Can I get them out of the funk? No, I don't think so. They have to get themselves out of it."

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

As host team for the tournament, Tech gets an automatic bid to the WAC tournament.
    The WAC Tournament host has never been guaranteed a spot since the tournament was reinstituted. And nothing has changed for 2008.

From page 56 of the 2007-2008 WAC Code Book.....

k. Participants
    The top six finishers based upon winning percentage in the regular season Conference standings shall participate in the tournament.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: If there is any hope

If you listened to yesterday's live from the dugout show you should have a renewed respect for coach Sim. He not only took responsibility for this "funk" the team has been in, but he refused to throw any of his players under the bus.He admitted we didn't properly load up with enough pitchers who can get the job done. All the west coast teams add quality Juco pitchers to their staffs every year.Fresno States' most effective pitcher,Justin Miller is a prime example ( he gave up only 2 hits to Tech). I think we are learning a hard lesson. Anyway.....coach Sim is a standup guy and he deserves to win. I wish the best for him and the team as they turn this season around. GO DAWGS !!!!!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    If you listened to yesterday's live from the dugout show you should have a renewed respect for coach Sim. He not only took responsibility for this "funk" the team has been in, but he refused to throw any of his players under the bus.He admitted we didn't properly load up with enough pitchers who can get the job done. All the west coast teams add quality Juco pitchers to their staffs every year.Fresno States' most effective pitcher,Justin Miller is a prime example ( he gave up only 2 hits to Tech). I think we are learning a hard lesson. Anyway.....coach Sim is a standup guy and he deserves to win. I wish the best for him and the team as they turn this season around. GO DAWGS !!!!!
    Good post. Thank you for that, Falcon.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I think we can all see that pitching is our weakness this year. Hopefully its a lesson learned for Sim and we can get it done in the future. It was just a major letdown for loyal Tech fans who were finally looking for a bright spot. But we will get over this an live to see a shinier day.

+ Reply to Thread