+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical/Opera Music

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Classical/Opera Music

What do you like? What do you hate?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Classical/Opera Music

Love: Robert W. Smith
    Crank up 'Africa: Ceremoney, Song and Ritual'; 'To Dance in the Secret Garden'; and 'The Inferno'

Hate: Opera

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Love - pretty much all
    Dislike - almost none

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I certainly don't claim to be an expert in classical music by any means. My wife loves it, so some of it has grown on me. Here are my favorites:

Brandenberg Concerto No. 2 in F major (as should all Firing Line fans agree)
    Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto (I was in love with Amy Irving in college) - if you can find a copy of the concerto conducted by Karl Bohm, get it. It is excellent.
    Almost anything Mozart, but especially the Requiem, 21st Piano Concerto. and the Le Nozze Di Figaro. Even more especially, the Ninth Symphony conducted by Zubin Mehta. His take on the vocals is unique, and in my opinion the best I have heard.

I like very little of the Russian Classical music.

At the risk of being accused of dancing to showtunes, and even though it is not classical music, I want to add that some of the very best music I have ever heard is in the musicals The Phatom of the Opera and in Les Miserables.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    LoveHate: Opera
    I used to, but my wife has definitely influenced me in that area. I now believe that opera is the highest form of music, and Mozart was the king of opera. Had you asked me twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now, if I had to give up all of my music except for one genre, it would keep opera.

Giovani liete,
    fiori spargete
    davanti al nobile
    nostro signor.
    Il suo gran core
    vi serba intatto
    d'un pił bel fiore
    l'almo candor.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Tried Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I certainly don't claim to be an expert in classical music by any means. My wife loves it, so some of it has grown on me. Here are my favorites:

Brandenberg Concerto No. 2 in F major (as should all Firing Line fans agree)
    Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto (I was in love with Amy Irving in college) - if you can find a copy of the concerto conducted by Karl Bohm, get it. It is excellent.
    Almost anything Mozart, but especially the Requiem, 21st Piano Concerto. and the Le Nozze Di Figaro. Even more especially, the Ninth Symphony conducted by Zubin Mehta. His take on the vocals is unique, and in my opinion the best I have heard.

At the risk of being accused of dancing to showtunes, and even though it is not classical music, I want to add that some of the very best music I have ever heard is in the musicals The Phantom of the Opera and in Les Miserables.
    All great!!!

Nothing wrong with showtunes, I own PTO and Les Miserables.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I am a certified Ravel fanatic (as if those exist) ... everything, well ... except Bolero. I also like Holsts' The Planets, Firebird by Stravinsky ... Those would be some of my faves (outside of the usual Bach, Beethoven etc)

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I am a certified Ravel fanatic (as if those exist) ... everything, well ... except Bolero. I also like Holsts' The Planets, Firebird by Stravinsky ... Those would be some of my faves (outside of the usual Bach, Beethoven etc)
    Just listened to some JSB. Where Sheep May Safely Graze. Wouldn't want to try to get pumped for a football game with it, but that is an awfully pretty piece of music.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I second The Planets. Jupiter is inspiring and Venus is incredibly relaxing. I downloaded it from itunes and it came with a suite that includes the main piece from the movie 2001. You can really tell that John Williams was inspired by Holst for a lot of his soundtracks like Star Wars and Close Encounters. I don't know enough speicifically regarding composers but any greatest hits from people like Mozart and Tchicovsky (sp?) will give you a good base. I always throw those on when I just want to relax and not think.

Nothing better than the human voice.

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Enigma Variations - Elgar
    The Four Seasons - Vivaldi
    First Suite in E-flat for Military Band - Holst
    Salvation is Created - Tschesnokoff (or alternate spelling Chesnokov)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man View Post
    Enigma Variations - Elgar
    The Four Seasons - Vivaldi
    First Suite in E-flat for Military Band - Holst
    Salvation is Created - Tschesnokoff (or alternate spelling Chesnokov)
    The Four Seasons is the only Classical piece there...
    The other three are all Romantic pieces...

I couldn't resist

+ Reply to Thread