+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Media Coverage

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Re: Media Coverage

MG, we may disagree with our approaches to certain problems, but we agree more than you think on what the issues are.[/quote]

Champ - I don't think there's any question that we share the same passion for the Techsters & as long as we agree on THAT, we're OK, my friend!!
    I just think that 'Spoon deserves the respect that she's EARNED & that should have come from a more aggressive Tech PR department. Granted, I don't work in that area like U do so your insight is appreciated.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Champ - I don't think there's any question that we share the same passion for the Techsters & as long as we agree on THAT, we're OK, my friend!!
    I just think that 'Spoon deserves the respect that she's EARNED & that should have come from a more aggressive Tech PR department. Granted, I don't work in that area like U do so your insight is appreciated.
    Well, I don't work in that area either. That is why I was smart enough to hire someone who does.

Puppy james123 has turned a few heads around herejames123 has turned a few heads around here

Granted, the athletic and media departments may have been shocked by Spoon's announcement, but it's not like she wasn't offered the job and just came off the street and announced herself as the new associate head coach. She was the featured speaker at the banquet who apparently had been offered a somewhat important job just days earlier. This is a new era of media. You have to be 3 steps ahead.

This had the potential to be a great story on a national women's basketball scale. Every women's basketball message board and blog linked to the story, but there were only 3 or 4 stories to link to and they all had the same quotes. Women's Hoops Blog mentioned the hire that Friday night, then followed up the next day with the link to the Sports Illustrated article from 20 years ago with Kim and Spoon. The story had momentum. But how was it supposed to be national news with no follow-up? The Barmore story has follow-up including new quotes from Barmore himself.

If you're trying to make this a story outside of Louisiana, you have to give people outside of Louisiana something to work with given that Tech is not on the level of the larger college programs when it comes to media coverage anyway. More people probably know Spoon got a favorable mention in noted women's sports hater Bill Simmons' All-Hombre team on ESPN that Monday than know Spoon got hired as associate head coach at Louisiana Tech.

No one knows if Spoon's in Louisiana, New York or Texas right now. We haven't heard from her since the banquet. There's no one in the offices apparently and no one has said if she's officially been hired. The Tech website has Stoehr's name in the directory and no Spoon while it then has Spoon and no Stoehr listed on the roster. As someone who works in the media, if I'm researching the story, that's a bit confusing. Spoon is an ESPN darling, having worked for them and being a fixture in the northeast market. If they had more to run with, they'd have probably ran the story especially since it came on the heels of the highest rated tournament and the WNBA draft. Sure it may have been a "surprise" but it's been 2 weeks. What's the excuse now?

Spoon coaching the Westchester Phantoms got more mention on the national scale and was in every paper, including the New York Times, and the Phantoms have no media relations department to speak of.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Maybe it's because of the following from the La Tech Sports.com info on the coaches link about Spoon..."Weatherspoon's hiring is pending the approval of the State of Louisiana, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System and the Tech Athletics
    Council."

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    Maybe it's because of the following from the La Tech Sports.com info on the coaches link about Spoon..."Weatherspoon's hiring is pending the approval of the State of Louisiana, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System and the Tech Athletics
    Council."
    Stories usually run with that as a statement at the bottom of the article.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Has Spoon been back on Campus since the Banquet?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Has Spoon been back on Campus since the Banquet?

Has she joined CHAMPS?

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Has she joined CHAMPS?
    What is champs?

+ Reply to Thread