+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obituary

Puppy james123 has turned a few heads around herejames123 has turned a few heads around here

Re: Obituary

Quote Originally Posted by longtimetechsterfan View Post
    there's also always the possibility of her going back to the pros given her connections around the league.
    At a season ticket holder meeting in 2006, Carol Blazejowski, president of the Liberty was asked about hiring Spoon. Liberty fans have been clamoring for it since she retired, even chanting "We Want T-Spoon" during a Liberty game in '06 while Spoon sat court side. Blazejowski's response was that her only concern with hiring Spoon was lack of coaching experience and that she felt she needed to get her feet wet first but other than that, she had all the intangibles needed. On separate occasions Patty Coyle, head coach of the Liberty, who also was an assistant for 5 years when Spoon played for the Liberty, has been quoted as saying she believes Spoon would make a great head coach at any level once she gained coaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You would have a point if we didn't have our rich history to fall back upon. There are so many people from Tech that think we are a stepping stone. Yes, we have been at times, but go back and look and you will see that many times we are a great long term solution to some GREAT coaches. No, Ruston is not a metropolis, but some people think it is a wonderful place to live - long term and retire.

Let's stop thinking of ourselves as a stepping stone and start thinking of ourselves as a destination. We used to be that for WBB and we CAN be that again in WBB AND MBB and FB. We have to believe and stop the self deprication. We ARE what we believe we ARE. Check out Dooley's statement at the bottom of my signature for reference.
    I love your enthusiasm. I agree that Tech's history works in its favor in this instance. I think it's unfair to Spoon to assume what her intentions are before she's even gotten on campus. But these things lend themselves to conjecture in this day and age of women's basketball experiencing tremendous growth and being profitable for head coaches even if it's not profitable for athletes and ownership/athletic departments at this current time. I think everyone knows how sentimental and loyal Spoon is so a lot of the arguments regarding her eventual departure may not necessarily apply to her the same way they would someone who didn't already give Tech everything she had for 4 years.

You can also make the case that if Spoon was merely using Tech as a stepping stone and Tech isn't a worthwhile opportunity, why would she choose Tech? Surely those arguments for why she'd undoubtedly leave to go elsewhere as a head coach could be applied to her as an associate head coach. If she had to stay in New York for whatever reason, we've got St. John's who'd have loved to add her to staff and there, she'd have an even better chance of replacing the head coach than she would Long. Recruiting would be easier than brushing her teeth in the morning and she'd maintain her martyr like status in the area. We also have Hofstra, a mid-major but in the CAA, a more travel friendly conference than the WAC. Fordham could use some new blood. Everyone who's ever followed the Liberty knows Spoon likes the lights, cameras, action and yes, nightlife of New York City. But she's 42. At some point, I'm sure she'd like to slow down. We also know that Spoon, once she commits to something, is an intensely focused individual. Last I checked, while it's a year-round job, there's nothing stopping Spoon from hopping on a plane to NY or wherever whenever she feels like it. Actually, given the hotbed of talent we have out here and Spoon's connections, I'd think Tech fans should welcome as many homesick trips as possible. :icon_wink:

If she wanted a higher profile, had she taken the time to explore them, she'd have had other options. I heard Baylor was looking for some assistants. :icon_wink: Tennessee just had an opening on their staff.

So I don't think it's naive at all to believe that Spoon specifically came to Tech because of what Tech meant to her and that those feelings will endure long enough for her to see Tech back to the top of the WAC at the very least, and possibly back into the upper echelon of women's college basketball.

I'm not saying she won't eventually (sooner or later) leave for greener pastures at all. Her intellect - basketball and otherwise, age, magnetic personality, name and ability to promote, coupled with valuable coaching experience will likely open doors for her that make moving on very tempting, especially if she feels prepared for a head coaching job. For instance, I can't see Spoon turning down an opportunity to be the head coach of the New York Liberty at some point. However, Spoon has already proven she will swerve off the traditional path by agreeing to the unenviable position of being head coach of an ABA team so trying to figure out her next moves will prove to be futile. She could be there for 1 year, 5 years or 30 years. Tech fans would be better served enjoying the ride than constantly wondering when it's going to end.

Lastly, I don't agree with the idea that she'd be unable to defer to Long's leadership. She spent her entire career deferring and making others better. If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what you want her to do in this situation. Spoon may not be the type to let the grass grow under her feet, but she doesn't rock the boat either. Scores of teammates will tell you that.

I think a more realistic concern is Chris Long's ego. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he did just lose an entire coaching staff, did he not? I think he's who you need to keep an eye on as far as making this work because people, be it the players or the media, will naturally gravitate toward Spoon. She has a natural charisma. If he's not okay with that, he shouldn't have hired her. But you can't bring in Spoon and not let her be who she is.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by james123 View Post
    At a season ticket holder meeting in 2006, Carol Blazejowski, president of the Liberty was asked about hiring Spoon. Liberty fans have been clamoring for it since she retired, even chanting "We Want T-Spoon" during a Liberty game in '06 while Spoon sat court side. Blazejowski's response was that her only concern with hiring Spoon was lack of coaching experience and that she felt she needed to get her feet wet first but other than that, she had all the intangibles needed. On separate occasions Patty Coyle, head coach of the Liberty, who also was an assistant for 5 years when Spoon played for the Liberty, has been quoted as saying she believes Spoon would make a great head coach at any level once she gained coaching experience.

I love your enthusiasm. I agree that Tech's history works in its favor in this instance. I think it's unfair to Spoon to assume what her intentions are before she's even gotten on campus. But these things lend themselves to conjecture in this day and age of women's basketball experiencing tremendous growth and being profitable for head coaches even if it's not profitable for athletes and ownership/athletic departments at this current time. I think everyone knows how sentimental and loyal Spoon is so a lot of the arguments regarding her eventual departure may not necessarily apply to her the same way they would someone who didn't already give Tech everything she had for 4 years.

You can also make the case that if Spoon was merely using Tech as a stepping stone and Tech isn't a worthwhile opportunity, why would she choose Tech? Surely those arguments for why she'd undoubtedly leave to go elsewhere as a head coach could be applied to her as an associate head coach. If she had to stay in New York for whatever reason, we've got St. John's who'd have loved to add her to staff and there, she'd have an even better chance of replacing the head coach than she would Long. Recruiting would be easier than brushing her teeth in the morning and she'd maintain her martyr like status in the area. We also have Hofstra, a mid-major but in the CAA, a more travel friendly conference than the WAC. Fordham could use some new blood. Everyone who's ever followed the Liberty knows Spoon likes the lights, cameras, action and yes, nightlife of New York City. But she's 42. At some point, I'm sure she'd like to slow down. We also know that Spoon, once she commits to something, is an intensely focused individual. Last I checked, while it's a year-round job, there's nothing stopping Spoon from hopping on a plane to NY or wherever whenever she feels like it. Actually, given the hotbed of talent we have out here and Spoon's connections, I'd think Tech fans should welcome as many homesick trips as possible. :icon_wink:

If she wanted a higher profile, had she taken the time to explore them, she'd have had other options. I heard Baylor was looking for some assistants. :icon_wink: Tennessee just had an opening on their staff.

So I don't think it's naive at all to believe that Spoon specifically came to Tech because of what Tech meant to her and that those feelings will endure long enough for her to see Tech back to the top of the WAC at the very least, and possibly back into the upper echelon of women's college basketball.

I'm not saying she won't eventually (sooner or later) leave for greener pastures at all. Her intellect - basketball and otherwise, age, magnetic personality, name and ability to promote, coupled with valuable coaching experience will likely open doors for her that make moving on very tempting, especially if she feels prepared for a head coaching job. For instance, I can't see Spoon turning down an opportunity to be the head coach of the New York Liberty at some point. However, Spoon has already proven she will swerve off the traditional path by agreeing to the unenviable position of being head coach of an ABA team so trying to figure out her next moves will prove to be futile. She could be there for 1 year, 5 years or 30 years. Tech fans would be better served enjoying the ride than constantly wondering when it's going to end.

Lastly, I don't agree with the idea that she'd be unable to defer to Long's leadership. She spent her entire career deferring and making others better. If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly what you want her to do in this situation. Spoon may not be the type to let the grass grow under her feet, but she doesn't rock the boat either. Scores of teammates will tell you that.

I think a more realistic concern is Chris Long's ego. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he did just lose an entire coaching staff, did he not? I think he's who you need to keep an eye on as far as making this work because people, be it the players or the media, will naturally gravitate toward Spoon. She has a natural charisma. If he's not okay with that, he shouldn't have hired her. But you can't bring in Spoon and not let her be who she is.
    That was an excellent, well thought out, post. On your last point, I have talked to Chris enough to know that his ego will not be a problem. He loves Spoon and will let her do her thing. He has to do that and I truly believe he will.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Some of you are already promoting Spoon to head coach. I may be wrong, but I think that to be a head coach at a Louisiana college or university, one must have a degree. Spoon doesn't, but if it is a requirement, then she can pursue her degree while at Tech.

My concern developed when she chose to announce her acceptance of Chris Long's offer at the Techster banquet. It caught everyone by surprise. Then she began to announce from the same podium all the things that she was going to do as if she were the head coach. Not very tactful on her part. Nor was it very smart.

Many got enthusiastic when Brooke came back. I was one of them. At least Brooke had some coaching experience, even though meager, when she got here. She too was a fireball player yet her presence hasn't generated the desired results. I am not holding her responsible as an assistant coach. The responsibility for failure belongs to the head coach just as do the accolades for winning.

Spoon is a total unknown quantity as a coach, assistant or otherwise. She is going to have to show me. If she does well, then I will try to be near the front of the congratulatory line.

I am as avid a Techster fan as my wallet will allow. I can't afford to travel to away games (not many can when most of the games are on the west side of the continental divide), and I can't afford to donate handsomely to the athletic fund (no longer Champs and I can't remember the new name). Retirement and a reduction in income have a way of causing limitations. But I do attend the home games. I want them to succeed to the nth degree, but the present climate of college sports makes it highly improbable that the Techsters will ever be king of the hill again. Some of you detest this premise, but you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.

I do expect them to win the conference championship and the conference tournament of whatever conference they play in. As for the NCAA, seeding is everything and usually the conference determines the seeding unless the team plays a tough non-conference schedule with success. I can't get to excited about going to the NCAA and then going one and out. What I am saying is that the WAC doesn't command much respect at this time and the seeding will be relatively high for the WAC representative. This makes it very difficult to avoid one and out.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

I believe she is getting hired as Associate Head Coach and in the role she could explain what she would do in that role. CL has not done it and she might have been setting the tone with both the players and alumni in attendance. I was not there so I am not sure how it came across. In any case I would like to see Teresa Weatherspoon running the show and CL doing the x/o work.

As for coaching I think she was the head coach of the Westchester Phantoms. She does have some experience and I think will have a big impact for us. If you read blogs and newsgroups you will see she is highly recognized and I would think she could bring in some good players based on her name recognition and respect she has from WBB players. I could definitely see her getting some talent from New York and also her home state of Texas.
    Last edited by DFWDawg; 05-06-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I had an interesting conversation today with one of our former coaches. I didn't realize just how much trouble our program is in. I only thought I knew... wow.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    I had an interesting conversation today with one of our former coaches. I didn't realize just how much trouble our program is in. I only thought I knew... wow.
    Now THAT is what I call a tease.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

Anyway to clarify without calling names or to much specifics. I am interested what the former coach had to say. In any case I hope whatever the troubles that they do not stand in the way of Teresa Weatherspoon and maybe she can correct those issues.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Now THAT is what I call a tease.
    BIG TYME!!!

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Basically, I was told how many times CL was talked to about the intensity of the team. Numerous times it was brought to his attention that the players needed to be worked harder in practice. HE IGNORED IT. He was told how the team was not playing as a unit on the floor and lacked intensity. HE IGNORED IT. He was talked to about team discipline. HE IGNORED IT. Apparently CL has a "I'm the HEAD COACH and we are doing it my way and quit telling me how to do my job" attitude. It was no coincidence he lost his whole staff at the same time. Sounds like he and Spoon are going to butt heads BIG TIME!! He certainly did with the ENTIRE STAFF last season and they all WALKED. Nobody was fired....

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Frown Re: Obituary

Basically, I was told how many times CL was talked to about the intensity of the team. Numerous times it was brought to his attention that the players needed to be worked harder in practice. HE IGNORED IT. He was told how the team was not playing as a unit on the floor and lacked intensity. HE IGNORED IT. He was talked to about team discipline. HE IGNORED IT. Apparently CL has a "I'm the HEAD COACH and we are doing it my way and quit telling me how to do my job" attitude. It was no coincidence he lost his whole staff at the same time. Sounds like he and Spoon are going to butt heads BIG TIME!! He certainly did with the ENTIRE STAFF last season and they all WALKED. Nobody was fired....
    That sheds some light on things & it's certainly something that everyone on this board noticed over the past 2 years. IMO, this past years' team had a little more intensity & worked better as a TEAM than the previous years' team but still the results left much to be desired.
    Guess that explains why Joni & the Stoehrs felt like the team was going in a "different direction." Still, the word is that Scott was fired but Joni, Brooke & Matt walked out on their own accord.
    Yep. If this is truly the case then I can see some SERIOUS conflict between 'Spoon & CL!! Guess whose side I'M on??!!

I made sure I told that particular Coach how much success I wished her and her hubby!

Thank you for the explanation Dawgfan. It all makes sense to me and we as fans could see it on the court. If Teresa Weatherspoon gets the same treatment as the previous assistants and CL does not let Teresa do her magic with up tempo, high expectations, and hard work ethic then we might have a revolt on our hands. I think it will be apparent in the first couple of games.

I will still contend that CL should do X/O work and let Teresa run practice and be the lead on the bench during the games. If he tries to do the same old thing as last two years and she quits then we will have a big mess on our hands. She does not have to and will not put up with it and I think we as fans will be showing our feelings and concerns loudly if such thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DFWDawg View Post
    Thank you for the explanation Dawgfan. It all makes sense to me and we as fans could see it on the court. If Teresa Weatherspoon gets the same treatment as the previous assistants and CL does not let Teresa do her magic with up tempo, high expectations, and hard work ethic then we might have a revolt on our hands. I think it will be apparent in the first couple of games.

I will still contend that CL should do X/O work and let Teresa run practice and be the lead on the bench during the games. If he tries to do the same old thing as last two years and she quits then we will have a big mess on our hands. She does not have to and will not put up with it and I think we as fans will be showing our feelings and concerns loudly if such thing happens.

And what do U see that makes U think things will be any different than they have been these past 2 years? We've ( the fans ) have already been quite vocal in the performances of CL's teams yet nothing has changed! As long as DR is around I don't see changes coming but MAYBE DD can/will flex his muscles if this scenario plays out.
    I agree with ya about who should do the X/O work & who should do the motivation & bench leadership ( especially if what Dawgfan reports is true - & I'll bet it is ). Let's see if the so-called "loyalty to Tech" that everyone claims CL has will allow him to check his ego & give 'Spoon some leeway in her coaching.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    [/b][/i][/color]

And what do U see that makes U think things will be any different than they have been these past 2 years? We've ( the fans ) have already been quite vocal in the performances of CL's teams yet nothing has changed! As long as DR is around I don't see changes coming but MAYBE DD can/will flex his muscles if this scenario plays out.
    I agree with ya about who should do the X/O work & who should do the motivation & bench leadership ( especially if what Dawgfan reports is true - & I'll bet it is ). Let's see if the so-called "loyalty to Tech" that everyone claims CL has will allow him to check his ego & give 'Spoon some leeway in her coaching.
    It's easy to be "loyal" when nobody else wants you.

Do you really want CL involved in X/O's? He has a really dubious track record in this regard.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Some of you are already promoting Spoon to head coach. I may be wrong, but I think that to be a head coach at a Louisiana college or university, one must have a degree. Spoon doesn't, but if it is a requirement, then she can pursue her degree while at Tech.

My concern developed when she chose to announce her acceptance of Chris Long's offer at the Techster banquet. It caught everyone by surprise. Then she began to announce from the same podium all the things that she was going to do as if she were the head coach. Not very tactful on her part. Nor was it very smart.

Many got enthusiastic when Brooke came back. I was one of them. At least Brooke had some coaching experience, even though meager, when she got here. She too was a fireball player yet her presence hasn't generated the desired results. I am not holding her responsible as an assistant coach. The responsibility for failure belongs to the head coach just as do the accolades for winning.

Spoon is a total unknown quantity as a coach, assistant or otherwise. She is going to have to show me. If she does well, then I will try to be near the front of the congratulatory line.

I am as avid a Techster fan as my wallet will allow. I can't afford to travel to away games (not many can when most of the games are on the west side of the continental divide), and I can't afford to donate handsomely to the athletic fund (no longer Champs and I can't remember the new name). Retirement and a reduction in income have a way of causing limitations. But I do attend the home games. I want them to succeed to the nth degree, but the present climate of college sports makes it highly improbable that the Techsters will ever be king of the hill again. Some of you detest this premise, but you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.

I do expect them to win the conference championship and the conference tournament of whatever conference they play in. As for the NCAA, seeding is everything and usually the conference determines the seeding unless the team plays a tough non-conference schedule with success. I can't get to excited about going to the NCAA and then going one and out. What I am saying is that the WAC doesn't command much respect at this time and the seeding will be relatively high for the WAC representative. This makes it very difficult to avoid one and out.

That's not true.

+ Reply to Thread