+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Police

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Re: Tech Police

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    ... I called and asked what I should do for loading and unloading and they said either double park, unload, and have someone watch it, or walk all the way from the gravel parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    That is assinine. They would rather you illegally double park and obstruct the right of way then illegally occupy one of three empty handicap spaces at a building that likely has no more than one disabled resident?
    What's worse is it sounds like it will be OK to illegally double park as long as someone watching the vehical at all times. ?!?!?!

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    That is assinine. They would rather you illegally double park and obstruct the right of way then illegally occupy one of three empty handicap spaces at a building that likely has no more than one disabled resident?
    You are telling me. They just want me to pay the ticket and stop questioning it.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

You are telling me. They just want me to pay the ticket and stop questioning it.
    Double-Parking is a $15 fine. Parking in a Red Zone is a $25 fine. Parking in a Handicapped Space is a $50 fine. If all they really want is your money, wouldn't they rather you pay the larger fine? That's a silly argument.

Here's a novel idea... Park properly and avoid a ticket and all the griping that goes along with it.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Double-Parking is a $15 fine. Parking in a Red Zone is a $25 fine. Parking in a Handicapped Space is a $50 fine. If all they really want is your money, wouldn't they rather you pay the larger fine? That's a silly argument.

Here's a novel idea... Park properly and avoid a ticket and all the griping that goes along with it.
    The cost is not his point. His point is that they really didn't want to give him an answer as to how to handle the situation he was in in a reasonable manner. They didn't want to give him a solution, they just wanted him to pay his money and shut up.

With all due respect, it's comments like this one of your's coming from police officers that make slap-stick police officer characters in movies so funny to civilians.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    The cost is not his point. His point is that they really didn't want to give him an answer as to how to handle the situation he was in in a reasonable manner. They didn't want to give him a solution, they just wanted him to pay his money and shut up.

With all due respect, it's comments like this one of your's coming from police officers that make slap-stick police officer characters in movies so funny to civilians.
    My core argument remains unchanged. Follow the parking regulations and tickets can be avoided. If you park in the Handicapped zone and you aren't handicapped, expect a ticket. If you park in the red, expect a ticket. If you double park, expect a ticket. If you don't get caught, you got a freebie.

Everyone at UP faces the same problem with parking. The vast majority of UP students park like they are supposed to. It's the select few who park where they aren't supposed to and get tickets that are complaining. Parking tickets are issued to **ANYONE** who parks where they aren't supposed to. If you would like to see the one I got for parking in a student zone when I was late for a meeting and there were no blue spots, I would be happy to show it to you. If you would like to see the expired decal ticket I got for waiting until payday to purchase my parking permit, I would be happy to show it to you. In both cases I knew I was risking a ticket and rolled the dice. Twice I got caught. Twice I PAID the tickets. I didn't complain because I deserved both of them.

As far as the argument about cops being harsh, we are doing a job we are paid to do. If a person punches you in the nose, you expect the police to do their job and arrest them. Why not expect them to do their jobs and write parking tickets? It's a double standard if you don't.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I'd have more respect for your argument if the Tech police followed the same rules that they have sworn to uphold. Until that starts happening, it's all a joke.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

If a person punches you in the nose, you expect the police to do their job and arrest them. Why not expect them to do their jobs and write parking tickets? It's a double standard if you don't.
    I don't believe that everytime somebody punches me in the nose, the person who did so should be arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I'd have more respect for your argument if the Tech police followed the same rules that they have sworn to uphold. Until that starts happening, it's all a joke.
    To what rules are you refering were broken and how were they broken?

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

My core argument remains unchanged. Follow the parking regulations and tickets can be avoided. If you park in the Handicapped zone and you aren't handicapped, expect a ticket. If you park in the red, expect a ticket. If you double park, expect a ticket. If you don't get caught, you got a freebie.

Everyone at UP faces the same problem with parking. The vast majority of UP students park like they are supposed to. It's the select few who park where they aren't supposed to and get tickets that are complaining. Parking tickets are issued to **ANYONE** who parks where they aren't supposed to. If you would like to see the one I got for parking in a student zone when I was late for a meeting and there were no blue spots, I would be happy to show it to you. If you would like to see the expired decal ticket I got for waiting until payday to purchase my parking permit, I would be happy to show it to you. In both cases I knew I was risking a ticket and rolled the dice. Twice I got caught. Twice I PAID the tickets. I didn't complain because I deserved both of them.

As far as the argument about cops being harsh, we are doing a job we are paid to do. If a person punches you in the nose, you expect the police to do their job and arrest them. Why not expect them to do their jobs and write parking tickets? It's a double standard if you don't.
    WHAT WAS THE PROPER PARKING PROTOCOL FOR JUICE'S SITUATION

This is all we want to know.

There are no designated loading zones at residential buildings on campus. The only valid option is to find a proper parking space. If none are available at your building, there are spaces available in the baseball lot and the gravel lot. Yes, they are a little further away and it might mean an extra trip or two to your car to get your vehicle unloaded after a trip to Wal-mart or the grocery store. If there is a physical problem where you can't walk more than a short distance, a valid Handicapped Placard issued in your name from the DMV or a Doctors letter stating a need for a handicapped parking permit is needed to get a handicapped parking permit on campus..

Federal Law states how many parking spaces must be designated as handicapped spaces in a given area. Tech has to comply with Federal Law, therefore the "unused" handicapped spaces must be avaialble for handicapped persons at all times.

If you would like to request loading zones be designated at the residence halls and U.P. Apartments, have a complaint about the parking regulations or the price of parking fines, contact Stephen Quinnelly at 257-3396. He is the Director of the Traffic Office and Director of Judicial Affairs. He is also the Chairman of the Traffic Committee that sets parking regulations and hears ticket appeals.

I hope this information is helpful. Nothing was intended to be malicious.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I call BS. Most students do the same thing I did. And I'm the only one I know to get a ticket. Students constantly park and run up (actually get out of the car unlike me). Hell a football player got a parking sticker and still used the spot long after his handicapped parking permit expired. Don't treat it like a student parking there to do something quick is rare.

What he is talking about is the Tech Police officer that parks in a red zone to watch a baseball game. He is talking about the guy that loads the vending machines in the laundry room that parks at a handicapped spot (the same one I was "parked" at) while doing his job. He is talking about the maintenance guy that constantly parks in a handicapped spot and red zones (because he has a special sticker saying he can park anywhere he wants). That is why all of this is a joke.

I call BS. Most students do the same thing I did. And I'm the only one I know to get a ticket. Students constantly park and run up (actually get out of the car unlike me). Hell a football player got a parking sticker and still used the spot long after his handicapped parking permit expired. Don't treat it like a student parking there to do something quick is rare.
    Lots of Students get tickets for parking and "running up". I didn't say they don't do it. You weren't singled out, I promise. I average 20+ parking tickets a shift for various violations. The football player in question had a Temporary Handicapped permit that expired 5/31/2008. On 6/01/2008 he got a ticket for parking in a handicapped space... from me. You can call BS if you like, but it doesn't hold water.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

To what rules are you refering were broken and how were they broken?
    Do you speed? Yes. Are you a police officer? Yes. Do you give yourself a ticket everytime you speed? No.

What he did is the equivalent of going 4 mph over the speed limit. Somehow, YOU feel that the law should only be applied when YOU think it should be applied. That's fine, but don't pretend to imply a sense of black and white when you don't live that way yourself.

I've gotten into a dispute with a police officer as a student while he was driving on the sidewalk next to the music building. He was upset because I said something to him while he drove by. His conceded that he was driving on the sidewalk for convenience and not because of his job. What would that same cop have done if he had caught ME driving on the sidewalk?

I had an item stolen. I was told that no theft occurred because they didn't feel that I properly constrained the item to prevent its theft. If I gather a trailer and get enough guys together to lift your car away, does that make it not theft?

I don't expect police officers to be perfect. However, don't give the high and mighty routine unless you're also living the high and mighty routine. I am surprised that you paid the tickets you've been given, but you're ignoring the times you've broken the law and not written yourself up.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Do you speed? Yes. Are you a police officer? Yes. Do you give yourself a ticket everytime you speed? No.

What he did is the equivalent of going 4 mph over the speed limit. Somehow, YOU feel that the law should only be applied when YOU think it should be applied. That's fine, but don't pretend to imply a sense of black and white when you don't live that way yourself.

I've gotten into a dispute with a police officer as a student while he was driving on the sidewalk next to the music building. He was upset because I said something to him while he drove by. His conceded that he was driving on the sidewalk for convenience and not because of his job. What would that same cop have done if he had caught ME driving on the sidewalk?

I had an item stolen. I was told that no theft occurred because they didn't feel that I properly constrained the item to prevent its theft. If I gather a trailer and get enough guys together to lift your car away, does that make it not theft?

I don't expect police officers to be perfect. However, don't give the high and mighty routine unless you're also living the high and mighty routine. I am surprised that you paid the tickets you've been given, but you're ignoring the times you've broken the law and not written yourself up.
    None of this applies. Nice little side argument, but NOT Juice's situation. His issue is whether or not you are "parked" when you are in the car with the motor running ready to drive off at a moment's notice (if asked or if you see someone coming who needs the spot). If the regulations say that "not rolling at that second" is "parked" - then he has no case other than it sucks he got caught. If the regulations say "parked" involves the car being in the "parked" gear, same thing. If the regulations say the motor must be off, then he shouldn't have a ticket. If the regulations give a time period, then it depends on how long he was there. If the regulations are vague or fuzzy then the tie goes to the runner and he should not have to pay (as Sooner keeps pointing out).

All this other stuff about the rules being the rules, or unfair double standards, or this guy or that guy is a jerk, or cops are great or not great (they are great) is not at issue. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't obey the law, but the question is what the law is.
    Last edited by inudesu; 06-17-2008 at 08:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread