+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Police

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Tech Police

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    All this other stuff about the rules being the rules, or unfair double standards, or this guy or that guy is a jerk, or cops are great or not great (they are great) is not at issue. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't obey the law, but the question is what the law is.
    My comments only become an issue because comments about "follow the rules and you don't have to worry about it" are a little out there coming from someone who equally doesn't follow rules out of the same rule book.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    My comments only become an issue because comments about "follow the rules and you don't have to worry about it" are a little out there coming from someone who equally doesn't follow rules out of the same rule book.

What rules are not followed? Please cite a specific example where Ipersonally broke a rule and then held someone accountable to the same rule. You can't name one. You might cite " a cop did this or a cop did that", but it won't be me you are talking about. I'm not playing "holier than thou", I just simply don't break rules and expect others to follow them. It's a very easy concept to follow. Other officers may break rules, but they aren't the ones posting to this board, so blasting me doesn't solve anything. I'll defend my actions all day long, but others will have to defend their own.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    What rules are not followed? Please cite a specific example where Ipersonally broke a rule and then held someone accountable to the same rule. You can't name one. You might cite " a cop did this or a cop did that", but it won't be me you are talking about. I'm not playing "holier than thou", I just simply don't break rules and expect others to follow them. It's a very easy concept to follow. Other officers may break rules, but they aren't the ones posting to this board, so blasting me doesn't solve anything. I'll defend my actions all day long, but others will have to defend their own.
    There, out in the darkness
    A fugitive running
    Fallen from grace
    Fallen from grace
    God be my witness
    I never shall yield
    Till we come face to face
    Till we come face to face

He knows his way in the dark
    Mine is the way of the Lord
    And those who follow the path of the righteous
    Shall have their reward
    And if they fall
    As Lucifer fell
    The flame
    The sword!

Stars
    In your multitudes
    Scarce to be counted
    Filling the darkness
    With order and light
    You are the sentinels
    Silent and sure
    Keeping watch in the night
    Keeping watch in the night

You know your place in the sky
    You hold your course and your aim
    And each in your season
    Returns and returns
    And is always the same
    And if you fall as Lucifer fell
    You fall in flame!

And so it has been and so it is written
    On the doorway to paradise
    That those who falter and those who fall
    Must pay the price!

Lord let me find him
    That I may see him
    Safe behind bars
    I will never rest
    Till then
    This I swear
    This I swear by the stars!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

There are no designated loading zones at residential buildings on campus. The only valid option is to find a proper parking space. If none are available at your building, there are spaces available in the baseball lot and the gravel lot. Yes, they are a little further away and it might mean an extra trip or two to your car to get your vehicle unloaded after a trip to Wal-mart or the grocery store. If there is a physical problem where you can't walk more than a short distance, a valid Handicapped Placard issued in your name from the DMV or a Doctors letter stating a need for a handicapped parking permit is needed to get a handicapped parking permit on campus..

Federal Law states how many parking spaces must be designated as handicapped spaces in a given area. Tech has to comply with Federal Law, therefore the "unused" handicapped spaces must be avaialble for handicapped persons at all times.

If you would like to request loading zones be designated at the residence halls and U.P. Apartments, have a complaint about the parking regulations or the price of parking fines, contact Stephen Quinnelly at 257-3396. He is the Director of the Traffic Office and Director of Judicial Affairs. He is also the Chairman of the Traffic Committee that sets parking regulations and hears ticket appeals.

I hope this information is helpful. Nothing was intended to be malicious.
    What gets me is that he was SITTING IN THE FREAKING VEHICLE (and idling, too, if I remember correctly). If ACCESS were the issue, they could have verbally told him to move his vehicle (or just acknowledged the fact that there were more handicap spaces available and ignored the issue).

And from a community relations standpoint this is completely ridiculous. It was PETTY for the officer to give a ticket in this situation. If the officer was so concerned about access to that particular handicap spot (even though there were other empty handicap spots available), he or she would have warned Juice to move his car or face the penalty. It's not like he left the vehicle in the handicap space.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

The point that should be remembered is handicapped spaces are reserved for handicapped people. Arguing that a car is idling, occupied or whatever while it is in a handicapped space is really a mute point. If you aren't handicapped, you shouldn't have your vehicle in a handicapped space. This goes for students, employees, vendors or anybody else. If your vehicle is in a handicapped space and it is not displaying a valid handicapped parking permit, you should not be in the space. Expect a ticket... If you get a ticket and disagree with it, appeal it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

The point that should be remembered is handicapped spaces are reserved for handicapped people. Arguing that a car is idling, occupied or whatever while it is in a handicapped space is really a mute point. If you aren't handicapped, you shouldn't have your vehicle in a handicapped space. This goes for students, employees, vendors or anybody else. If your vehicle is in a handicapped space and it is not displaying a valid handicapped parking permit, you should not be in the space. Expect a ticket... If you get a ticket and disagree with it, appeal it.
    A point made by a person that cannot talk?

The point is that it is illegal to PARK in a handicapped space. It is not illegal to stop in handicapped space. If the meaning of PARK is vague, then the regulation is unenforceable.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

No parking on the dance floor!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post

The point is that it is illegal to PARK in a handicapped space. It is not illegal to stop in handicapped space. If the meaning of PARK is vague, then the regulation is unenforceable.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

and . . . yes. THAT is the point.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I just think there should be a level of common sense here. I got a ticket in Winnifield once. I was passing a guy that was going 65 and the cop got me going 80 to get around him. The cop gave me a ticket for 65, that is common sense. He could have been an a$$hole like the cop in this story and screwed me to the wall, but he exercised deceny and common sense and only gave me a ticket for 65. He was lenient and I was thankful. It was a compromise that didnt have to be made and isnt made by some cops who are on hard with their power trips.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

and . . . yes. THAT is the point.
    Then I guess you can argue that in your ticket appeal, huh?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post

And clearly the official definition of "park" as it applies to the code is not known by the department's unofficial advocate on this thread, or else this matter would have been cleared up on the first page.

It's Juice's call, but I don't think I would let this one go. If I turn my car off and leave it sitting there, then I am clearly parked and clearly in violation of the code, regardless of how long the car is sitting there. But if I am sitting in my car, with the engine running, and and present and attentive enough for the officer to be able to put the ticket in my freaking HAND, then I maintain that I am not "parking" and I am not restricting access to the parking space.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Then I guess you can argue that in your ticket appeal, huh?

Well, I think he should, but I'm not the one that has to endure the appeals process. If he does appeal, that seems like reason to overturn to me.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I just think there should be a level of common sense here. I got a ticket in Winnifield once. I was passing a guy that was going 65 and the cop got me going 80 to get around him. The cop gave me a ticket for 65, that is common sense. He could have been an a$$hole like the cop in this story and screwed me to the wall, but he exercised deceny and common sense and only gave me a ticket for 65. He was lenient and I was thankful. It was a compromise that didnt have to be made and isnt made by some cops who are on hard with their power trips.
    Heh...I probably know the cop who pulled you over...

You are right, thought...not every cop has to be a dick, and most are not on power trips. Most are understanding that you are not trying to do something illegal and will treat you like a person and not a criminal.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Blah, blah, b-freaking blah ... This is legalism to the nth degree. The car was occupied; the engine was running; it was for a very short period of time; there were other handicapped spots available; an explanation was given. There was no reason to give that ticket other than legalism or because of a quota.

Tech doing crap like this is not good customer servivce, and we wonder why such a small portion of our graduates give back to the university. They feel like they gave enough for stupid crap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Blah, blah, b-freaking blah ... This is legalism to the nth degree. The car was occupied; the engine was running; it was for a very short period of time; there were other handicapped spots available; an explanation was given. There was no reason to give that ticket other than legalism or because of a quota.

Tech doing crap like this is not good customer servivce, and we wonder why such a small portion of our graduates give back to the university. They feel like they gave enough for stupid crap like this.
    I would be willing to bet a handicapped person would feel different about your point of view. The reason I would bet that, is I asked a person I know who is physically challenged about handicapped parking. She gets very angry when she sees people in handicapped spaces who don't need them and agrees that people who use the spaces as a waiting area or for loading and unloading deserve a ticket.

+ Reply to Thread