+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Police

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Tech Police

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    The Tech police do their jobs good when their jobs don't have to do with parking. My freshman year, my roommate and I lived in Hutchison and spent a lot of time at the Nat. During our LAST WEEK of school we went to the pool one day and came back to find our computers, ipods, cameras, and his room key gone. After finding out that it wasn't a prank, we reported the items stolen to the Tech police who came within 10 minutes and got our info and the info about our computers. Tech police actually worked with the Computing Center to track down our laptops using our IP addresses after the idiots logged on to the Tech server. This all happened within 4 or 5 days, during finals week.

After that I swore that I would ease up on my criticism of the Tech police. I did, until about a week ago.

I was riding my bike back across campus, heading back to my house from UP at about 11:30 pm and campus was pretty dead. I crossed over the railroad bridge (the one you walk over, not the one for cars) and looked both ways before crossing the walkway to make sure I wasn't jutting out in front of anyone. I saw a set of headlights coming from my right, about at the Memorial Gym parking lot, and another set of headlights to my left, far enough away that I could make it. Now, I am on a bike that is already moving, so I am traveling much faster than a pedestrian and I proceed to ride across the crosswalk, spending maybe 2 seconds tops in the street. I was at the GTM parking lot riding on the brick path when I see flashing lights and hear a siren behind me. To my surprise, I look behind me to see a LA Tech cop pulling me over, ON MY BIKE. He actually got out of his car and lectured me on how I should not be riding on the sidewalk and how he should give me a ticket. I just played dumb, even though I am very aware of Louisiana bicycle laws, and went on my way, still on the sidewalk just out of spite.

Good job Tech police, I liked you for almost 2 full years.
    You really are a danger to the campus and society...Thank you Tech Police

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I know I'll be eternally grateful for the Tech cop who pepper sprayed the entire front row at a football game protecting the fans from a mascot who got a little too playful.

The fact is, one d-bag cop on a power trip can negate the goodwill built up by the heroic actions of 10 good cops. That's because Americans in general are very sensitive to abuses of power, perceived or otherwise. These negative perceptions are amplified when the "Thin Blue Line" crawls out of the woodwork to defend a bad cop. Just because a job is tough, or underappreciated, doesn't mean that you have to defend the indefensible. Granted, I know that the majority of cops are good, honest, hardworking people (like I try, and sometimes fail to be). However, there are a number who have no business being cops, several I know of personally, who I grew up with. In spite of all their personality disorders, and opinions of people who don't look like them, they are probably considered "good cops" by the Thin Blue Line because they know how to bust heads and don't take crap from John Q. Citizen.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

[quote=AustinDawg;608973]I know I'll be eternally grateful for the Tech cop who pepper sprayed the entire front row at a football game protecting the fans from a mascot who got a little too playful.

quote]

That was a Ruston Police Officer who did that. Can't blame Tech Police for that one! If it makes you feel any better, he got in trouble for that one.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I was pulled over once by a Tech police going the wrong way on a one way, but it had just turned into a one way about a week before because they just started contruction. Was i wrong? Yes, but he was very lenient and used good judgement in not giving me a ticket. I was grateful. i see Juice's situation much like mine. Anyone with a shred of common sense would not have given a ticket in that situation. Number one, he wasnt parked and away from his car. Number 2, two other handicap spots were open, so he wasnt blocking the only available one. I think if this cop would have used his common sense, he would have just told you to move and let you off with a warning like the Tech cop did for me. Unfortunately, that didnt happen for you.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Being a basically good and law-abiding citizen for the most part, I've never been pulled over, or stopped, or hassled in any way by the Tech Police.

Given so much time has passed, I will admit to one possible small indiscretion ?? There was once this construction going on near the TKE House, and I noticed that an ignition key was left in this double-drum soil compactor. Having never driven one of those before, I bothered to climb aboard, crank her up, and take a turn around Dudley Circle. Then, I returned said double-drum soil compactor to her rightful resting place.

No harm done; but,

Guess I might have gotten a "ticket" for that ??

HA ! ! !

I DIDN'T GET CAUGHT ! ! !

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Now, that's funny.

But, I still can't figure out why I got a ticket 25 years ago (returning at 4 a.m. on a Sunday) for parking in blue zone next to Memorial Gym) while I was on a basketball trip, returning Sunday at 5 a.m.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I got a ticket for parking in faculty parking during a quick trip into the bookstore. I was in there for maybe 10 minutes. It pissed me off and I threw it in the trash. Yes I could have written visitor on it and sent it in but it made me mad. I spent $75.00 in that bookstore that morning, I didn't see the need to spend another .41 to let them know I was visiting.
    Bookstore parking? Are there any designated spaces? Nope. Our bookstore has to be the most difficult to find and to get to. Then to top it off, customers walk back to their car to find a parking ticket! I wonder what percentage of those customers are repeat customers? There has got to be a better way!

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Just order from the new online store I hear is coming, no parking, no tickets!

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

I've never been hassled by Tech cops, and I got my share of tickets for parking in Blue Zones during my time at Tech, but I do know people who were harassed by Tech Cops for little/no reason.

One buddy of mine was driving passed Wyle doing 20-21 and one of the lady officers pulled him over for speeding. He politely asked her why he was being pulled over and she snapped. Made threats to arrest him and even use her tazer if he did not comply. Now, my friend, being the sharp-tongued devil he is, kindly explained to the office how she was out of line and all it would take would be one call to his uncle--the then head of NELA State Police Troop stationed in Monroe and who was childhood friend with the Chief of Tech Police. The office was bright red at this point and told him to consider this a warning and that he had better not run into her when she was off duty. I trust his story because of the few times I went with him to pay a few parking tickets and the Chief actually asking how his uncle was. As it has been pointed out in this thread, it only takes one asshat cop to make the rest look bad.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Thumbs Down Re: Tech Police

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    One buddy of mine was driving passed Wyle doing 20-21 and one of the lady officers pulled him over for speeding. He politely asked her why he was being pulled over and she snapped. Made threats to arrest him and even use her tazer if he did not comply. Now, my friend, being the sharp-tongued devil he is, kindly explained to the office how she was out of line and all it would take would be one call to his uncle--the then head of NELA State Police Troop stationed in Monroe and who was childhood friend with the Chief of Tech Police. The office was bright red at this point and told him to consider this a warning and that he had better not run into her when she was off duty. I trust his story because of the few times I went with him to pay a few parking tickets and the Chief actually asking how his uncle was. As it has been pointed out in this thread, it only takes one asshat cop to make the rest look bad.
    This is a BLATANT LIE on somebodys part for two reasons. 1) Tech Police currently has NO FEMALE Officers working there. 2) When there were female officers working there, there were no Tazers. Tazers were purchased AFTER the last females left Tech Police employment.

Having caught that little falsehood, I STRONGLY suspect the rest is false as well. Better check your sources.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Sorry, DF, but you would be wrong. This was back in 2000, and there was at least one female officer. Now, the officer could have said what she did about the tazer just to try and scare my friend, but he did not check her belt to see if she had one with her.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Back on subject for a second..parking in a handicapped spot is just wrong if you're not handicapped, regardless of how many other handicapped spots are available, your expected duration in said spot, ect.. True, the officer could have told you to just move and not given you a ticket but this way you will probably think twice before doing it again. BTW: When I'm driving my sister in law, who is parapalegic and is in an electric wheelchair, the people I make move out of spots would probably much rather have a ticket than the a$$-chewing they receive from me (if they're in the vehicle). If they are not in the vehicle I block them in (if possible) and call the cops-they come very quickly when you explain that you had to block someone in to use the handicapped spot (yep, I'm that guy). Hey, if you can use your legs, park in a legal spot and walk-let the people who need the handicapped spots use them.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Back on subject for a second..parking in a handicapped spot is just wrong if you're not handicapped, regardless of how many other handicapped spots are available, your expected duration in said spot, ect.. True, the officer could have told you to just move and not given you a ticket but this way you will probably think twice before doing it again. BTW: When I'm driving my sister in law, who is parapalegic and is in an electric wheelchair, the people I make move out of spots would probably much rather have a ticket than the a$$-chewing they receive from me (if they're in the vehicle). If they are not in the vehicle I block them in (if possible) and call the cops-they come very quickly when you explain that you had to block someone in to use the handicapped spot (yep, I'm that guy). Hey, if you can use your legs, park in a legal spot and walk-let the people who need the handicapped spots use them.

I've got no problem with you blocking someone in and yelling at them and calling the cops or whatever if someone parks their car and leaves. Good for you.

But if someone is in the car with the motor running and can easily just move out of your way when they see you - I'm not sure what the problem is there? I know those spots are reserved for the handicapped, but is it all that important that they get into those particular spots 30 seconds sooner (while the driver of the car moves out of the spot?)? I mean, that is inconvenient I guess, but no more so than say waiting for someone to walk across a spot that you are waiting on (handicapped or not) or stopping to let someone get out of a spot you want.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I shouldn't have to ask a person to move when you shouldn't be there in the first place. There is a sign that should be unversally recognizeable, the concrete is painted and yet there they are. Yes, it's a mild inconvenience but one that is way too common.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

+ Reply to Thread