+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tech Powerlifting - 2008 National Champs

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: Tech Powerlifting - 2008 National Champs

What would be the ramifications if it was made a varsity sport? Can you do it without scholarships (or maybe 3-4 at the most)?

Hate to see a sport, even at the club level, disappear with the tradition and quality that Powerlifting has.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I kind of wish there were some shirts with all the years of the 16 or 17 titles listed. That would be pretty sweet.
    There were about 10 years ago. The list of National Championships (Men and Women) was extremely long then, it must be ridiculous now!

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Congrats to both teams.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    What would be the ramifications if it was made a varsity sport? Can you do it without scholarships (or maybe 3-4 at the most)?

Hate to see a sport, even at the club level, disappear with the tradition and quality that Powerlifting has.
    Don't know for sure, but wouldn't you have to bump up a women's team too?

Edit: I guess you could be talking about bumping up both the men's and women's weight lifting teams.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Don't know for sure, but wouldn't you have to bump up a women's team too?

Edit: I guess you could be talking about bumping up both the men's and women's weight lifting teams.

Yes, I was thinking about the women's team there. But doesn't equity guidelines only apply to scholarships? Do you have to add something for the women if the new men's team gets no scholarships to work with?

Varsity Bulldog rtr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her gamertr002 is on top of his/her game rtr002's Avatar

I am going to try and get a hold of some powerlifters and see if they will make some t-shirts with all of the national championships on it and something to commemorate the championship this year. I will see if they will sell them on here. I would personally like to have one. It sounds like they could use the money anyways. What do ya'll think?
    How bout them Dawgs!

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: Tech Powerlifting - 2008 National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    There were about 10 years ago. The list of National Championships (Men and Women) was extremely long then, it must be ridiculous now!
    Counting the 2008 title the men now have 17 National Championships & the ladies have 14. . I still have my '78 ( the first title ) shirt but it's getting a little thin ( & tight - I'm not QUITE in the 165# class anymore!! ). I'd be down for two of the XL's if we can get this done. Thanks to Coach Talton & the Fab 5 who requested/started the team.

Mean Gene

http://www.latech.edu/tech/athletics/powerteam/

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Big Grin Re: Tech Powerlifting - 2008 National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by rtr002 View Post
    I am going to try and get a hold of some powerlifters and see if they will make some t-shirts with all of the national championships on it and something to commemorate the championship this year. I will see if they will sell them on here. I would personally like to have one. It sounds like they could use the money anyways. What do ya'll think?
    When I lifted the school took care of the travel ( mostly we stayed local & went via vans and/or personal cars ) but we had to fund our entry fees & hotel reservations. That's when we'd cram 4 guys into one room & TWO beds!! :icon_wink:

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    That's when we'd cram 4 guys into one room & TWO beds!! :icon_wink:
    Two guys, one bed, "cram",.........This is getting disgusting!
    Don't ask, don't tell Mean Gene!:icon_wink:

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Uhm?
    Does anyone know just how big Mean Gene is?
    I may be twenty years younger but he was on the Powerlifting Team. Since I just implied he was gay I think I may be getting my arse kicked soon?!

Big Grin Re: Tech Powerlifting - 2008 National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Two guys, one bed, "cram",.........This is getting disgusting!
    Don't ask, don't tell Mean Gene!:icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Uhm?
    Does anyone know just how big Mean Gene is?
    I may be twenty years younger but he was on the Powerlifting Team. Since I just implied he was gay I think I may be getting my arse kicked soon?!
    Nah, I'm straight but just a few pounds heavier than my lifting days! Ain't it funny how our weight changes over the years? I struggled to gain weight to play FB @ Tech ( played between 190-200# @ safety ) then dieted down to the 165's ( occasional 181# ) for Regionals & Nationals ( if I qualified that year ). Now I'm 49 & hovering around 217#!! Well, at least I'm only 14% bodyfat but I think I'll get back on my treadmill now!!

MG

Puppy irondawg72 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LTUIronDawg View Post
    The current Coach is Josh Chovanec who works in financial aid. His priority is in Keeny Hall not Memorial Gym.
    If it had not been for an injured lifter last year, the men's team would have won in 2007.
    While I'm glad to see all support for the Iron Dawgs, please don't pose your opinions as fact. Since when does not being a GA mean he's less committed to the team? Sounds like a better commitment to me since he won't be graduating with no way to start a career and stay in Ruston. If my memory serves me correctly, the last three coaches have been GAs and that lasted a grand total of 6 years. Also, for some time now there have been prominent members of the team working in Financial Aid, and having a contact that will put in the extra work for a prospective lifter goes a long way towards bringing in the best talent from out of state.

Also, I was at collegiates in 2007. The men's team was not a lifter short of winning the national title, they were a coach short. Out of several terrible coaching decisions, one can certainly be pinpointed to costing an almost certain first place finish to a lifter. The results aren't available on the usapl site, but if my memory serves me correctly, that single difference would have kept the streak alive.

Big Dog LTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the roughLTUIronDawg is a jewel in the rough LTUIronDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irondawg72 View Post
    While I'm glad to see all support for the Iron Dawgs, please don't pose your opinions as fact. Since when does not being a GA mean he's less committed to the team? Sounds like a better commitment to me since he won't be graduating with no way to start a career and stay in Ruston. If my memory serves me correctly, the last three coaches have been GAs and that lasted a grand total of 6 years. Also, for some time now there have been prominent members of the team working in Financial Aid, and having a contact that will put in the extra work for a prospective lifter goes a long way towards bringing in the best talent from out of state.

Also, I was at collegiates in 2007. The men's team was not a lifter short of winning the national title, they were a coach short. Out of several terrible coaching decisions, one can certainly be pinpointed to costing an almost certain first place finish to a lifter. The results aren't available on the usapl site, but if my memory serves me correctly, that single difference would have kept the streak alive.

You may know better than me about the 2007 Nationals. I know that there was a lifter that did not participate due to injury. Had he competed he probably would have won his division. That could have been the difference maker but I can't say for sure. According to your hard facts, it was due to coaching. That's not my beef. My beef is that the future of the program looks bleak because the support is being yanked out from under them.

Let me clarify my statement on Josh Chovanec. I did not mean that he isn't committed to the team. He is not always present during training because of his commitments to his position at Kenney Hall. I know he is doing the best he can and should be commended for it. I have no problems with Chovanec. He stepped up take over after Zac was forced out.

There's been a shift in power in Memorial Gym in the last few years. That person has made research the top priority because that's what brings in money. Students and activities take second fiddle to research. That person is trying to push activities such as P.E. classes and powerlifting out of the gym to the intramural center. Despite all of its success, Powerlifting is destined to become just another run-of-the-mill club sport at Tech.

I'm trying to do something to help them. I'm contacting people at the University that can make a difference. I'm setting up meetings to plead my case. There's only so much I can do.

Puppy irondawg72 is an unknown

You may know better than me about the 2007 Nationals. I know that there was a lifter that did not participate due to injury. Had he competed he probably would have won his division. That could have been the difference maker but I can't say for sure. According to your hard facts, it was due to coaching. That's not my beef. My beef is that the future of the program looks bleak because the support is being yanked out from under them.

Let me clarify my statement on Josh Chovanec. I did not mean that he isn't committed to the team. He is not always present during training because of his commitments to his position at Kenney Hall. I know he is doing the best he can and should be commended for it. I have no problems with Chovanec. He stepped up take over after Zac was forced out.

There's been a shift in power in Memorial Gym in the last few years. That person has made research the top priority because that's what brings in money. Students and activities take second fiddle to research. That person is trying to push activities such as P.E. classes and powerlifting out of the gym to the intramural center. Despite all of its success, Powerlifting is destined to become just another run-of-the-mill club sport at Tech.

I'm trying to do something to help them. I'm contacting people at the University that can make a difference. I'm setting up meetings to plead my case. There's only so much I can do.
    I'm definitely nowhere near as informed on the inner workings of the department as you, so I'm very glad to hear that someone on the outside is standing up for the student athletes. The fact that you know that Zac was forced out shows you know a lot more about the goings on in Memorial Gym than most. I interpreted your comment on Josh as an attack, instead of making a statement about his work schedule.

+ Reply to Thread