+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clock tower

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Clock tower

I heard that the clock tower might finally get fixed - SGA office was looking into it last year. But now that they have new officers, I wonder if it is still a priority?

It is kind of embarrassing to have a nice clock tower that shows the wrong time.

I say replace it with an LED digital face that could display messages, game scores, upcoming events, etc and the correct time.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Clock tower

It was fixed by SGA when I was in school 99-03. Is it broke again?

Varsity Bulldog bayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nicebayouboyz is just really nice

Yes, all four faces display a different time...all are out of sync. I heard the computer that is up in the attic of the clock tower gets too hot and overheats...it's an attic - who's the genius that put it up there?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayouboyz View Post
    I heard that the clock tower might finally get fixed - SGA office was looking into it last year. But now that they have new officers, I wonder if it is still a priority?

It is kind of embarrassing to have a nice clock tower that shows the wrong time.

I say replace it with an LED digital face that could display messages, game scores, upcoming events, etc and the correct time.
    bulldawg03 wrote a pretty scathing editorial while at Tech and it was fixed for awhile, guess they didn't keep up with it. I'd like to see them using the bell's/audio system in it again, the girls in Harper need to deal, if guys in Caruthers/Nielson can deal with a train that shakes the building every 3 hours they can deal with a clock tower 8am-8pm.

Also, I think the LED would look horrible, like a giant alarm clock.

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Yes, all four faces display a different time...all are out of sync. I heard the computer that is up in the attic of the clock tower gets too hot and overheats...it's an attic - who's the genius that put it up there?
    For pete's sake, we are an engineering school. You mean to tell me we can't mechanically sync 4 clocks all at the same location?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man View Post
    For pete's sake, we are an engineering school. You mean to tell me we can't mechanically sync 4 clocks all at the same location?
    My thoughts exactly. I used to think the same thing everytime I had to swim across Cen. Plaza because it had rained - all those civil engineers and we can't come up with some kind of drainage that works?

It looks like 3 of the faces are fairly synced up **but** behind over an hour. The south face is just off. See picture below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Spring 2000 at Tech, I was taking a geology class under Dr. Z, and the first thing he said to our class on the first day was "I expect you all to be here on time. Use the atomic clock here (points to a web address on the board) and set your clocks by it. Don't use the clock tower on campus because all for faces has a different time on them! Why we can't get them to all show the same time, I will never know." I laughed because I had never seen the clock display the correct time, and yet, I had never heard anyone actually say anything about it till then...

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Not sure why we need engineers for that. Most third-graders know where to point the big hand and the little hand. I have heard that this is not a terribly complicated machine, just a computer and some batteries. Come to think of it, maybe that's why it doesn't work.

I also agree that we should use the bell tone again. If 8 am is a problem, then ring it at noon.

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Also, I think the LED would look horrible, like a giant alarm clock.

Excuse my poor photoshop skills, but I was thinking of plasma/LCD type screen for the clock faces...basically there would be 4 giant screens up there that we could display whatever we wanted to. For the times that we don't have anything, we could still show a picture of a traditional clock face with the correct time (but technically it would be all digital!). See picture below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

But every time the power went out, the clock time would reset and blink at 12:00 . . . 12:00... 12:00 . . ..12:00....12:00

And somebody would have to find the remote to fix it.:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Yeah, I wrote that column in the fall of 2002, saying it wasn't students' faults for being late to campus when the official timepiece on campus had four different times, all of which were wrong. Jim King got it taken care of within the week, but it was out of synch within a couple of weeks. And if memory serves me correctly, there are no bells or chimes in that tower... I'd have to go look it up...

I think that was my most impacting article/column yet, and it was in college... Talk about embarrassing the administration... And I don't think it's an SGA thing...

I heard there is a speaker system that is tied into the clock software. The computers they run on are overheating....or already overheated.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I heard there is a speaker system that is tied into the clock software. The computers they run on are overheating....or already overheated.

This is what I've heard, but don't think so much as computers like the ones we are using think computers w/ punch cards for data entry.

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

We'd have to get some youngster to fix that blinking 12:00. I've never seen all four clocks showing the same time. As a matter of fact I don't recall aver seeing two of the clocks showing the same time. I guess the man of vision didn't see that coming.

+ Reply to Thread