+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infield Fly Rule

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Infield Fly Rule

I THINK I know the answer, but want to see what some of y'all think...

Infield fly conditions when the batter (in an attempt to bunt) bunts a popup to the pitcher. The umpire never calls or signals batter out.

Was the umpire wrong?

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

Re: Infield Fly Rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infield_fly_rule

According to this, it might have depended upon the outs and the position of runners.

Varsity Bulldog rustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her gamerustondawg5198 is on top of his/her game

No infield fly on an attempted bunt. Umpire is correct in not calling the batter out.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rustondawg5198 View Post
    No infield fly on an attempted bunt. Umpire is correct in not calling the batter out.
    Correct

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

But if the pitcher lets the ball drop and the double or triple play is picked up then it flys in the face of the intent of the rule though doesn't it? Especially if the base runners don't break on the bunt attempt. Any of you umpires have a story about this situation?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    But if the pitcher lets the ball drop and the double or triple play is picked up then it flys in the face of the intent of the rule though doesn't it? Especially if the base runners don't break on the bunt attempt. Any of you umpires have a story about this situation?
    Print this out and give it to the umpire with a smile.

6.05 A batter is out when-

(l) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out. The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies.

Varsity Bulldog raam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of lightraam is a glorious beacon of light

Correct RustonDawg, you cannot have an infield fly on an attempted bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Print this out and give it to the umpire with a smile.

6.05 A batter is out when-

(l) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out. The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies.
    Have you ever made a call, or have you ever seen an ump make a call in this situation where the double or triple play was actually executed on a pop fly bunt attempt?

I have to LOL when I think of what could happen at the local little league field?

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Have you ever made a call, or have you ever seen an ump make a call in this situation where the double or triple play was actually executed on a pop fly bunt attempt?

I have to LOL when I think of what could happen at the local little league field?
    Actually there are some pretty good ball players out at Ruston Dixie. And yes I know you didn't mean there wasn't.

For example, have you ever seen an 11/12 year old kid hit two home runs over the fence in one game? Guess I should be more specific, the first home run he batted from the left side of the plate and the second he batted from the right side of the plate. If you want to see some exciting ball (not necessarily error free ) you should come on out one night. It's great to see kids that are playing just for the enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    Actually there are some pretty good ball players out at Ruston Dixie. And yes I know you didn't mean there wasn't.

For example, have you ever seen an 11/12 year old kid hit two home runs over the fence in one game? Guess I should be more specific, the first home run he batted from the left side of the plate and the second he batted from the right side of the plate. If you want to see some exciting ball (not necessarily error free ) you should come on out one night. It's great to see kids that are playing just for the enjoyment.
    My comment was not directed at the players, but at the confusion that could arise from the situation I described.

I see some pretty good ball here in WM, but I can't say we've got a kid that can jack one from both sides of the plate. Very impressive! The next Chipper Jones maybe?:icon_wink:

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

My comment was not directed at the players, but at the confusion that could arise from the situation I described.

I see some pretty good ball here in WM, but I can't say we've got a kid that can jack one from both sides of the plate. Very impressive! The next Chipper Jones maybe?:icon_wink:
    I, of course, did understand your initial comment and took no offense. You are definitely right there can be some very comedic occurances at the ball park (even sometimes at the major league level).

Please do not insult our player by comparing him to an Atlanta Brave player, now if you want to compare him to a Cub player that would be acceptable.:bigcry: Take care.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

The infield fly rule "DOES NOT" apply on an attempted bunt!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave1 View Post
    The infield fly rule "DOES NOT" apply on an attempted bunt!
    I (we) know that.

The discussion I'm interested in having is about the integrity of the rule on an attempted bunt. The rule is in place to keep the defense from having the unfair advantage of turning a double or triple play, but the very thing the rule tries to prevent could happen in this situation.

Sorry to over analyze, but I like to understand WHY certain rules are in place. The only thing I can come up with is that the exception is in place to offset the advantage a good bunt would give the offense. Risk vs. reward?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    I, of course, did understand your initial comment and took no offense. You are definitely right there can be some very comedic occurances at the ball park (even sometimes at the major league level).

Please do not insult our player by comparing him to an Atlanta Brave player, now if you want to compare him to a Cub player that would be acceptable.:bigcry: Take care.
    But if they won the game, then you can't compare them to a cub player; the Braves reference would then apply again.

Seen plenty of strange things in my 8 years of umpiring... but none like the 2 situations that you guys posted about.

I do few good ones, but they would be LONG posts... I think I'll save them for the tailgating in 108 days. :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread