+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Park Dedicated to Former Bulldog Coaching Legend - latechsports.com

Puppy Daddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the ears

Re: Park Dedicated to Former Bulldog Coaching Legend - latechsports.com

Wow. I just wanted to say a sincere THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all your heart-felt comments regarding the dedication of Pat Patterson Park. This was such an honorable thing to do. We are thrilled to have been part of such a fantastic event. Many of you were close and dear friends of my mom and dad and they would be so touched to see how much has been done in dad's honor. Although, he never thought he was one of the greatest coaches, he never wanted to win awards, he never wanted to be highly recognized. For those of you that may not know him, he was a very humble man who would have NEVER in a million years expected something like this! But, as his daughter, I am proud and honored such a thing has happened. La. Tech baseball, athletics, his family and friends WERE his life. But the past few years had taken a toll on him. He was the last person I EVER thought would do this. I talked to my father probably 10 times a day on the telephone- EVERY DAY. No joke. We were that close. But, at the end, a severe case of depression; a medical condition just as much as Alzheimers is... overcame him. At the end, in his mind, he was just as sick as my mother, not even realizing how severe his depression was since it spiraled down so fast. We cannot take back what he did. But, in his mind, at that dark moment, to him, it seemed right and the last act of love for he & his wife of 52 years. I have come to accept that. Had he not been severely depressed out of his control, none of this would have ever happened. He was THE most Christian role model in my life. I miss them terribly every single day. So does my son, his one and only grandson. Who, as he grows up, I will be PROUD to take him to J.C. Love field at Pat Patterson Park and tell him all the wonderful things of his Paw Paw's life and not dwell on the ending.

Thanks to all who have encouraged and supported this decision for the name change of the Stadium. And for the comments back and forth from the couple of people who don't agree. You ARE entitled to your opinion. I respect it as well. And all I can say, is you just didn't know him or the situations he was personally dealing with... But regardless of how his life ended -he poured love, blood, sweat and tears into not only La. Tech Baseball but the entire school itself. And I know from many personal experiences shared with me by his ex players, their parents and his many colleagues, that he made a difference in many peoples' lives and what a father and grandfather he was in my life! I just can't say Thank You to Tech & Ruston enough.
    Last edited by Daddy's Girl; 05-31-2008 at 12:50 AM.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

You should be very proud of your father. Those of us who watched his teams through the years know how much the players wanted to win for "Gravy". He IS Louisiana Tech baseball; and to not honor him would be an absolute tragedy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy's Girl View Post
    Wow. I just wanted to say a sincere THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all your heart-felt comments regarding the dedication of Pat Patterson Park. This was such an honorable thing to do. We are thrilled to have been part of such a fantastic event. Many of you were close and dear friends of my mom and dad and they would be so touched to see how much has been done in dad's honor. Although, he never thought he was one of the greatest coaches, he never wanted to win awards, he never wanted to be highly recognized. For those of you that may not know him, he was a very humble man who would have NEVER in a million years expected something like this! But, as his daughter, I am proud and honored such a thing has happened at my. La. Tech baseball, athletics, his family and friends WERE his life. But the past few years had taken a toll on him. He was the last person I EVER thought would do this. I talked to my father probably 10 times a day on the telephone- EVERY DAY. No joke. We were that close. But, at the end, a severe case of depression; a medical condition just as much as Alzheimers is... overcame him. At the end, in his mind, he was just as sick as my mother, not even realizing how severe his depression was since it spiraled down so fast. We cannot take back what he did. But, in his mind, at that dark moment, to him, it seemed right and the last act of love for he & his wife of 52 years. I have come to accept that. Had he not been severely depressed out of his control, none of this would have ever happened. He was THE most Christian role model in my life. I miss them terribly every single day. So does my son, his one and only grandson. Who, as he grows up, I will be PROUD to take him to J.C. Love field at Pat Patterson Park and tell him all the wonderful things of his Paw Paw's life and not dwell on the ending.

Thanks to all who have encouraged and supported this decision for the name change of the Stadium. And for the comments back and forth from the couple of people who don't agree. You ARE entitled to your opinion. I respect it as well. And all I can say, is you just didn't know him or the situations he was personally dealing with... But regardless of how his life ended -he poured love, blood, sweat and tears into not only La. Tech Baseball but the entire school itself. And I know from many personal experiences shared with me by his ex players, their parents and his many colleagues, that he made a difference in many peoples' lives and what a father and grandfather he was in my life! I just can't say Thank You to Tech & Ruston enough.
    Your father was a great man. For those of us who had the pleasure of knowing him over the years, his life is in no way defined by how it ended.

Thank you for your tolerance for the very limited number of people who have seen fit to express their negative opinions even though they didn't know the Gravy that many of us were blessed to have known. You obviously have inherited his class and his forgiving nature.

God Bless you and thank you for sharing your father with us for all of those years.

Puppy Daddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the earsDaddy's Girl seems to have something between the ears

I have always kept up reading this message board for the past several months. I finally just signed on as a member to leave a thank you. It is inspiring and healing to read what everyone writes. These tributes and kind words (even the not so kind) have helped me heal in more ways than you will ever know. If I am having a bad day, all I have to do is get on here and read the kind words from the people who's lives he has touched! To hear what people say & thought about my dad just make me beam with pride. I was so fortunate to have such wonderful parents.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I have always kept up reading this message board for the past several months. I finally just signed on as a member to leave a thank you. It is inspiring and healing to read what everyone writes. These tributes and kind words (even the not so kind) have helped me heal in more ways than you will ever know. If I am having a bad day, all I have to do is get on here and read the kind words from the people who's lives he has touched! To hear what people say & thought about my dad just make me beam with pride. I was so fortunate to have such wonderful parents.
    Yes, yes you were.

Daddy's Girl:

You might like to see this article as well.

http://www.latechreport.com/news.php?id=425

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Daddy's Girl:

You might like to see this article as well.

http://www.latechreport.com/news.php?id=425
    Thanks so much. I had not seen that one. I print them off and keep them all. I will pass it along to my brother as well.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Gravy was a special guy to those of us who knew him when we came through Tech. He remained someone I was honored to talk with even 30 years later.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I have thought about this for a while now, and I have no doubts that Tech did the absolute right thing. They did not let one act of desperation and devastation define the man who had built up a great reputation over his whole life. That is the problem with our society today, we are so quick to bring someone down. That is why all of these celebrity gossip and other types of garbage are popular. Many people want to cast judgement and believe they are better than others. Tech did more to continue the great, positive legacy that was Gravy's, instead of letting this one act destroy it.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

You know, the people who judge Coach Patterson and are displeased with this action should stop and think for a minute. There, but for the grace of God, go I. I pray that no one should ever have to endure the pain that Coach Patterson felt, and that his family will feel forevermore by the loss of their parents. You think to yourself, well nothing like that could ever happen to me...never say never. Bad things happen to good people and you don't know what the future brings or what God has planned for you. It ain't all going to be sunshine and roses and you never know how you will react until you are faced with the most dreadful and painful circumstances and problems.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Wow. I just wanted to say a sincere THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all your heart-felt comments regarding the dedication of Pat Patterson Park. This was such an honorable thing to do. We are thrilled to have been part of such a fantastic event. Many of you were close and dear friends of my mom and dad and they would be so touched to see how much has been done in dad's honor. Although, he never thought he was one of the greatest coaches, he never wanted to win awards, he never wanted to be highly recognized. For those of you that may not know him, he was a very humble man who would have NEVER in a million years expected something like this! But, as his daughter, I am proud and honored such a thing has happened. La. Tech baseball, athletics, his family and friends WERE his life. But the past few years had taken a toll on him. He was the last person I EVER thought would do this. I talked to my father probably 10 times a day on the telephone- EVERY DAY. No joke. We were that close. But, at the end, a severe case of depression; a medical condition just as much as Alzheimers is... overcame him. At the end, in his mind, he was just as sick as my mother, not even realizing how severe his depression was since it spiraled down so fast. We cannot take back what he did. But, in his mind, at that dark moment, to him, it seemed right and the last act of love for he & his wife of 52 years. I have come to accept that. Had he not been severely depressed out of his control, none of this would have ever happened. He was THE most Christian role model in my life. I miss them terribly every single day. So does my son, his one and only grandson. Who, as he grows up, I will be PROUD to take him to J.C. Love field at Pat Patterson Park and tell him all the wonderful things of his Paw Paw's life and not dwell on the ending.

I had no idea the daughter of one of the best coaches in Tech history was in Yukon, OK! I'm not too far away in Tulsa...well, we're in the same state anyway:icon_wink:. I'm too young to really remember Coach Patterson, I also have never met him. However, coming from a Ruston and Tech family, I know all about him. My aunt and uncle were friends with him and whenever we went to a Tech baseball game there was discussion about what a great coach, but more importantly, great person Gravy was. Most of the discussion wasn't what he did on the diamond, but what he did in Sunday school or did for everyone he came in contact with every day. I believe anyone who has ever met Coach Patterson has a story of something great and kind he did for them. I wish I had the chance to meet him personally, although I feel like I knew him.

+ Reply to Thread