+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Indiana Jones

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    Did E.T. and Richard Dreyfuss make a cameo? (Speilberg humor)
    What'd you think of Indy?

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    sounds like some people are forgetting the outlandish things that took place in the earlier movies. is the refrigerator thing any less believable than a guy that can pull your heart out of your chest as it continues to beat? indiana jones is scifi/fantasy. you have to suspend your disbelief.
    That's what I like about the collection of Indiana Jones movies. They are about the only movies that I see myself using my imagination and not saying "that could never happen" over and over again.

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    What'd you think of Indy?
    I'll have to wait and answer that around October when it releases on DVD...I have to cherry-pick my theater films a little more carefully for movie budget reasons...

Do plan on seeing the 3 THE'S over the next few weeks..."The Strangers," "The Happening," and "The Incredible Hulk"

Puppy LaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Westv View Post
    Glad I wasn't the only one dissapointed. How was Iron Man??? My son wants to see it. Looks like something that may be ok... What do you guys think?

Iron Man was great. One of the best movies I've seen at the movies so far this year. If you go see it... stay till after the credits

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

sounds like some people are forgetting the outlandish things that took place in the earlier movies. is the refrigerator thing any less believable than a guy that can pull your heart out of your chest as it continues to beat? indiana jones is scifi/fantasy. you have to suspend your disbelief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    But that was vodoo-esque act and framed in a much more BELIEVABLE manner -
    I can suspend my disbelief, but only when you tell me. I can accept the heart pull scene because (as DFM points out) they said it was magic. Fine. The monkey swing scene was NOT magic or special powers or anything of the sort; it was just bad.

And it's not just that refrigerator that was launched during a nuclear explosion (that for some reason occurred at the same military base where they store strange and valuable artifacts like alien bodies and the freaking Ark that formerly held God wooden boxes) and he survived, but that he wasn't even slightly injured in the incident.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Here comes spin off movie series. I love Raiders of the Lost Arc and the Last Crusade. Temple of Doom was ok. This movie sucked.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    I'll have to wait and answer that around October when it releases on DVD...I have to cherry-pick my theater films a little more carefully for movie budget reasons...

Do plan on seeing the 3 THE'S over the next few weeks..."The Strangers," "The Happening," and "The Incredible Hulk"

If "The Strangers" is as scary as it looks don't go alone.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I can suspend my disbelief, but only when you tell me. I can accept the heart pull scene because (as DFM points out) they said it was magic. Fine. The monkey swing scene was NOT magic or special powers or anything of the sort; it was just bad.

And it's not just that refrigerator that was launched during a nuclear explosion (that for some reason occurred at the same military base where they store strange and valuable artifacts like alien bodies and the freaking Ark that formerly held God wooden boxes) and he survived, but that he wasn't even slightly injured in the incident.
    He has a history of this. Lets not forget falling from a plane and hitting rocky/snowy mountains in a RUBBER RAFT.

Indy is immune to falling damage.

Champ Westv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LaTech.Pike View Post
    Iron Man was great. One of the best movies I've seen at the movies so far this year. If you go see it... stay till after the credits
    Thanks for the tip! I heard it was good.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    He has a history of this. Lets not forget falling from a plane and hitting rocky/snowy mountains in a RUBBER RAFT.

Indy is immune to falling damage.
    The examples cited above were from Temple of Doom, that I feel was a crappy movie also. The Last Crusade was better than TOD, but Raiders is the only movie in the series that I feel is excellent. Raiders had some intense action sequences (dragged behind the truck), but Spielberg was sure to show that Indy was a regular fella susceptible to bumps and bruises (remember the scene on the freighter with Marion?). All the movies after that, I feel, really "jumped the shark".

I don't mind unbelievable stuff when the director makes it clear that we are entering the world of the supernatural. For instance, if Indy had been holding magic pebbles or the Holy Grail or had crawled inside the Lost Ark before the nuclear explosion, I probably wouldn't have minded so much, but they tried to pass that refrigerator crap off as something that could plausibly happen without supernatural interference and that is what I found to be ridiculous. And yes, the TOD scene where they survive a fall from a plane in an inflatable raft is also ridiculous. You'll not be able to defend Crystal Skull by citing examples from TOD with me. Oh, and I sure hope they're not thinking of cashing in on future movies by having Transformer-Boy rope swinging through the jungle like he's freaking Tarzan. I keep giving George Lucas chance after chance hoping and wishing that he can still be relevant, but if one were to keep score, he's made almost as many steaming dung heaps has he has brilliant movies, and if you were to look at his record the past 20 years -- sheesh.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

it looks like there are two camps:

1. those that thought the earlier movies (or at least one of them) were great works of the silver screen, and

2. those that were simply entertained by the mix of adventure, fantasy, and humor in the first three and are looking for more of the same.

the first group is disappointed by the new movie, the second liked it (or at least didn't walk away from the theater angry). i guess i will just have to test this theory myself, since i belong decidedly to the second group.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

it looks like there are two camps:

1. those that thought the earlier movies (or at least one of them) were great works of the silver screen, and

2. those that were simply entertained by the mix of adventure, fantasy, and humor in the first three and are looking for more of the same.
    Interesting theory, but I would put myself solidly in the second of the aforementioned categories, and I thought the new Indy was pretty pathetic. Maybe I didn't walk away from the theater "angry" per se, but I sure wasn't happy. I don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief, but the whole aliens in an ancient city thing just really lost my attention. It was not worth the price of admission if you ask me. Wait for DVD.

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

I still think you need to consider the source material of Indiana Jones and that's the pulp stories and serials of the 30's, 40's and 50's. The 50's were all about sci-fi and aliens. Just like Star Wars, people had almost 20 years to ramp up their expectations to the point that nothing will satisfy. I enjoyed the movie because it was fun. I get tired of movies needing to be plausible and have a message. I go to be entertained and suspend disbelief and have fun. In reality, can people survive in a truck going over several waterfalls? Nope. But in the movies anything is possible and if you could survive it, I bet it would be fun. I had a blast watching it and the whole scene with the quicksand had me laughing hysterically and the ants were creepy. I like Shia Labeouf. Check out Disturbia if you haven't seen it yet. He gets a lot of flack because in today's world of internet and cable news, he's everywhere. But, in my opinion, he's not your typical pretty boy and he can act. He just happens to do it in some pretty blockbuster type films.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I think I may have figured out part of the problem. The first three were released in 1981, 1984, and 1989 respectively. That is 27, 24, and 19 years ago. How old were we all when we saw those for the first time??? Perhaps our first and lasting impressions of these films were a little more biased in a positive fashion in our younger years. Seeing this one in all our old ages may not affect us like it did back then. Even though all were unbelievable, twenty something years ago it was a little easier for me to become positively and emotionally engaged in such. Then, of course, that childhood impression of Indiana Jones sticks with us.

Or maybe not...

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    I think I may have figured out part of the problem. The first three were released in 1981, 1984, and 1989 respectively. That is 27, 24, and 19 years ago. How old were we all when we saw those for the first time??? Perhaps our first and lasting impressions of these films were a little more biased in a positive fashion in our younger years. Seeing this one in all our old ages may not affect us like it did back then. Even though all were unbelievable, twenty something years ago it was a little easier for me to become positively and emotionally engaged in such. Then, of course, that childhood impression of Indiana Jones sticks with us.

Or maybe not...
    I dont know I watched Raiders the other day and it was as good now as it was when I first watched it. I havent seen the new one yet, but the old ones are still good every time I watch them. Question: Indy and his dad drank from the cup of life, yet Indy is old and his dad dead. I thought the cup of life let you stay youthful, like the soldier guarding it. What is the deal?

+ Reply to Thread