+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REAL Coaching!!

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up REAL Coaching!!

While I'm as excited as most of ya w/the signing of T-Spoon as an Associate HC, I still think that Chris Long is NOT real college HC material. Obviously nothing he's done in the past few years indicates ( to ME, at least ) otherwise. To try & demonstrate what REAL head coaches can/should do, we have only to look 200 miles or so south of Ruston to LSU's ( GASP!! ) baseball team.
    First of all, spare me all the LSU hatred! Whether we like it or not ( & no matter HOW they achieved the title ), they ARE the state's flagship university. Now that I have that disclaimer said, look at the job that Paul Mainieri has done this year. He started slowly & there were already grumblings in BR about replacing him despite the fact that this was only his second year & Smoke Laval "left the cupboard bare" ( sound familar to some of ya?? )
    They were 23-16-1 after the tie to Georgia on but he kept juggling his starting lineup & pitching staff & now they've won 19 in a row.
    That's a very similar situation that CL had except he's gone in the opposite direction ( DOWN!! ). He kept using the same game plan against every team we played rather than trying to vary the matchups to our advantage.
    This is NOT another "bash CL" thread ( although it may have some of the same tone to it ). Rather, it's just an example of what a REAL HC can do. Let's all hope that CL & 'Spoon can coexist & make some changes in the direction the program is currently heading w/this incoming class of recruits paired with the returning players.
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 05-24-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add info

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: REAL Coaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    First of all, spare me all the LSU hatred! Whether we like it or not ( & no matter HOW they achieved the title ), they ARE the state's flagship university.
    So? That is THE reason for most of the hatred.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Well stated my friend!
    Where is the rest of his coaching staff? Who's doing the recruiting? There are so many questions and so few answers about Coach Long!

While I'm as excited as most of ya w/the signing of T-Spoon as an Associate HC, I still think that Chris Long is NOT real college HC material. Obviously nothing he's done in the past few years indicates ( to ME, at least ) otherwise. To try & demonstrate what REAL head coaches can/should do, we have only to look 200 miles or so south of Ruston to LSU's ( GASP!! ) baseball team.
    First of all, spare me all the LSU hatred! Whether we like it or not ( & no matter HOW they achieved the title ), they ARE the state's flagship university. Now that I have that disclaimer said, look at the job that Paul Mainieri has done this year. He started slowly & there were already grumblings in BR about replacing him despite the fact that this was only his second year & Smoke Laval "left the cupboard bare" ( sound familar to some of ya?? )
    They were 23-16-1 after the tie to Georgia on but he kept juggling his starting lineup & pitching staff & now they've won 19 in a row.
    That's a very similar situation that CL had except he's gone in the opposite direction ( DOWN!! ). He kept using the same game plan against every team we played rather than trying to vary the matchups to our advantage.
    This is NOT another "bash CL" thread ( although it may have some of the same tone to it ). Rather, it's just an example of what a REAL HC can do. Let's all hope that CL & 'Spoon can coexist & make some changes in the direction the program is currently heading w/this incoming class of recruits paired with the returning players.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Big Grin Re: REAL Coaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Jon - So I guess U WON'T be cheering for LSU in the SEC baseball Championship vs Ole Piss today??!!

Gene

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I am the best lsu good luck charm in the world. I turn on the tv and there is lsu/bama all tied and the announcer says "bama really needs to get into a double play ball right here". So I thought I would watch and pull for bama for a few minutes, but not 30 seconds later (it seemed) I hear the tink of a bat and the announcer yelling grand slam. So I don't think I will be watching pooville today.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I am the best lsu good luck charm in the world. I turn on the tv and there is lsu/bama all tied and the announcer says "bama really needs to get into a double play ball right here". So I thought I would watch and pull for bama for a few minutes, but not 30 seconds later (it seemed) I hear the tink of a bat and the announcer yelling grand slam. So I don't think I will be watching pooville today.
    Thank you for turning it off! There have been some good softball games to watch.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    That and those that think we should give a crap about them on a TECH board.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Technically they are the LSU system's flagship university. Tech is in the University of Louisiana System. And the only one screaming about being the flagship in that system is the University of Louisiana (or la la)

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

Let's all hope that CL & 'Spoon can coexist & make some changes in the direction the program is currently heading w/this incoming class of recruits paired with the returning players.
    I am very interested to find out what roles CL and Spoon play in the coaching responsibilities. They better be getting this ironed out quick so that it is not a learning exercise in front of the players or fans and cause confusion and commotion.

To me Spoon is the highly energetic and high expectation Coach. She can manage the tempo and excitment of the players to push them beyond their capabilities and make constructive corrections when needed. I have not seen anyone of her level of personal commitment to excellence involved with the Techsters in a long time.

I had been hoping that CL could handle the x/o work and do the analysis of the competition to come up with the game plan. What you mentioned earlier about him using the same plan for every game makes me nervous if he ends up in such role. Then again he has a partnership with spoon and he can give the analysis and work with Spoon about the game strategy and plan. She may have a better eye for the capabilities of our players and do a better job with assignments based on CL's analysis how to attack the opposition.

The bottom line is that they have got to figure out what roles they will play so our players know who to take direction from when. My personal opinion is the more prominent role she plays the better we will be.

Puppy lovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the earslovethat24 seems to have something between the ears

How can you really do anything when spoon is not even here yet. S/B arriving sometime this summer. Can not wait to see who else is will joing CL staff i am sure Joni C. will get him a coach or two because he surely has NO connection.

Congrats Brooke S. on your job at Southern Miss........ Way to Go

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Since Joni is gone, I'm not sure how much she would be willing to help, but something tells me that Spoon has some very interesting connections that could be very valuable. I wouldn't be surprised if Long and Spoon are already working her connections even though she hasn't stepped foot on campus yet.

Puppy Wes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around hereWes has turned a few heads around here

She'll be in Ruston within the next few days.

Don't underestimate her X's and O's skills. She's not just some rah rah motivational type.

The matter of who fills out the staff will go a long way in determining her future at Tech.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Spoon is here. I spoke to her. She is excited and ready to hit the ground running.

Puppy james123 has turned a few heads around herejames123 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Spoon is here. I spoke to her. She is excited and ready to hit the ground running.
    Let the fun begin! Did she have anything interesting to say?

Puppy longtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the ears

i hope this "arrangement" works and we don't screw this one up.

+ Reply to Thread