+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did MLB go to far.....

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Did MLB go to far.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...league0527&sid=

Maybe we should capitalize on this since all the teams are now Bulldogs. Someone should take advantage of this and send them some free Tech Bulldog gear.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Did MLB go to far.....

Seems a little overboard to me. Kind of like the SuperBowl not even letting you say its name.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

If I were them, I'd name my team the Cubs and use a non copyrighted picture of a small bear for my logo. Then dare them to sue me.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I think the problem really was that they were using fairly authentic looking uniforms that weren't coming from the licensed supplier. Don't see how trademark would protect just the name. I'd think they could do "Cubs" if they were happy with a logo that looks nothing like the MLB pattern. MLB doesn't have a real choice there from what I've always understood--if you don't protect your trademark, it becomes public domain.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I think the problem really was that they were using fairly authentic looking uniforms that weren't coming from the licensed supplier. Don't see how trademark would protect just the name. I'd think they could do "Cubs" if they were happy with a logo that looks nothing like the MLB pattern. MLB doesn't have a real choice there from what I've always understood--if you don't protect your trademark, it becomes public domain.

Did you see the Red Sox uniform they showed? It looked nothing like the Sox uniform that they are using now. One of the reasons I brought this up is Doc and I were at a USSSA baseball tournament this weekend that the Louisiana Thunder team that uses the State T logo in different colors was there. We had a discussion a while back about their use of our logo. Some were highly against it and some did not care. I also thought it was cool that all the teams were now called Bulldogs. Check out the hat and the flag at the end.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

[quote=GonzoDawg;615268]Did you see the Red Sox uniform they showed? It looked nothing like the Sox uniform that they are using now. /quote]

Yea, I did notice that the RedSox one was quite different, whereas the Cubs and Yankees ones were an exact copy. I wondered if those things were different. One of our lawyers could probably clear this up, but I don't see how that Red Sox uniform could be protected unless it's an old uniform type -- I'd never seen it though

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Is there anything stopping them from keeping the name and just changing the logo?

The one year I played baseball in the city league, we were the "Nolan's Heating and Air Conditioning." Living in a city that requires every team to have a sponsor solves that problem.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

We were the Campbell & Campbell Reds my last couple in little league..We had the Cincinnatti Reds cap, a white vest with the Reds logo on it and everything. We looked good.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Growing up in Little League we always wore these:

Just a T-Shirt with the MLB team's logo on it. Made by majestic, they can't be more than what that league's paying.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

It seems to me that MLB did go overboard. I am not an attorney, but all they had to do was send a sharply worded letter to the little leage people saying that they "were giving them permission after the fact" to use their logos. It would have been a way to send the appropriate message to the adults (the ones who should know better) while letting the kids wear the favorite team's jersey. That should be enough to protect the trademark.

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

I think part of being a kid is having fun and living in a dream world. Granted the parents and coaches have something to do with it but I would think that MLB would go a lot farther by turning a blind eye. As long as the kids and teams are doing it on a purely amateur level then I don't have a problem with it.

I think it is ridiculous living in a world where people have the greed to own everything (don't get me wrong, I am a Republican )

Happy Birthday is owned
    "You're Fired!" is owned
    and numerous other cases where people are just overstepping reason.

Its the same as the police shutting down an 8 year old's lemonade stand be cause the kid doesn't have a license.

OK maybe I wandered into different teritory but my point is "Let the kids have the d@mn uniforms".

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

I think the MLB is doing a fine job in introducing future generations to the reality of professional sports. It ain't all fun and games, you little runts. There's money to be made, and we aren't letting you little bastards step on our toes.

Now be sure and get your parents to stop by Target on the way home from the game and get you a few packs of officially liscensed Donruss, Topps, and Upper Deck MLB players' cards. No hard feelings.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

You know, after thinking on this, I really feel like MLB is doing the right thing, but in the wrong way. They shouldn't be going after the kids. They're friggin city little league baseball players. HOWEVER, somewhere there is some company making money by illegally producing trademarked material and THAT company is what deserves the attention here.

For all of you who said the kids should be allowed to wear the uniforms, do all of the same individuals think it should be ok for ME to illegally produce replica Louisiana Tech jerseys and keep all of the profit as long as I only sell them to kids?

+ Reply to Thread