+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Happening

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Re: The Happening

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    Gotta disagree with everyone...another great film from a great filmmaker...

Loved the premise and the dialogue facts within of such events occurring around the world...controlled scenes of horrific proportions, laughter, and thought...a more simplistic approach to the characters, except for the hero who carries one of many underlying themes beyond this post 9/11 approach...

But once again, this film is gonna alienate a lot of people who don't quite get his POV...
    I think you are correct with one point, "Gotta disagree with everyone...". Again this is the worst movie to come out in a long time.

Please explain to us what we don't get about his POV.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Loved the premise and the dialogue facts within of such events occurring around the world...controlled scenes of horrific proportions, laughter, and thought...a more simplistic approach to the characters, except for the hero who carries one of many underlying themes beyond this post 9/11 approach...

But once again, this film is gonna alienate a lot of people who don't quite get his POV...
    Like his other movies... This one doesn't do anything but waste time. There are no underlying themes, there was no twist, there's just nothing there. Could been done WAY better (in his style too).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I haven't seen this one, so I can't comment directly about The Happening, but don't you like EVERY movie?

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I haven't seen this one, so I can't comment directly about The Happening, but don't you like EVERY movie?
    Far from true...if I had to put a percentage on it, I probably dislike 3 out of every 4 movies I watch (which is a wide range)...

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Like his other movies... This one doesn't do anything but waste time. There are no underlying themes, there was no twist, there's just nothing there. Could been done WAY better (in his style too).
    So what there wasn't a twist...just because The Sixth Sense had one (the only true twist of all his films), doesn't mean everything he does will play the same pattern...

Themes--

1) Love/hope arising while death/destruction dominates
    2) Science vs. Religion "sure there'll be an explanation in the science books, but in the end it's just a theory"...some phenomenons science can't explain
    3) Desire of violence...our fascination with gore and refusing to turn our eyes of it
    4) If you knew you were on the cusp of death, running like hell from it, how would you act...what would you say...
    5) Human instincts...naturally knowing how to survive, minus technology...

And this was probably is most simplistic film of all...not as thought-provoking...

It's cool you didn't like it though...this was just my perspective after seeing it...

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Ebert liked it.

Not as it was INTENDED to be liked, I don't think, but he did. So that's something.

I'll hollar back after I watch it this weekend, TS11. We have similar tastes in movies, generally speaking.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

So what there wasn't a twist...just because The Sixth Sense had one (the only true twist of all his films), doesn't mean everything he does will play the same pattern...

Themes--

2) Science vs. Religion "sure there'll be an explanation in the science books, but in the end it's just a theory"...some phenomenons science can't explain
    3) Desire of violence...our fascination with gore and refusing to turn our eyes of it
    4) If you knew you were on the cusp of death, running like hell from it, how would you act...what would you say...

And this was probably is most simplistic film of all...not as thought-provoking...

It's cool you didn't like it though...this was just my perspective after seeing it...
    'unbreakable' and 'the village' definitely had true twists...they just weren't as dramatic. 'unbreakable' is by far my favorite of his...it is well shot and acted and it is rewatchable...as good as '6th sense' is, i have yet to be able to sit through it a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    I think you are correct with one point, "Gotta disagree with everyone...". Again this is the worst movie to come out in a long time.

Please explain to us what we don't get about his POV.
    Sorry if that came across as me belittling anyone...didn't mean for it to...

All I meant was there are two sides to this...Night as a director, and Night as a storyteller...

As a director, I don't think anyone doubts the guy can direct...his compilation of sound, camera angles, build-up, tone, ability to evoke all emotions, etc...

Now as a storyteller, that's where I think most have the differing views of him...his originality and imagination strikes a chord in me that I have the greatest appreciation for considering all the junk films that are out there...someone who also takes risks (showing the full body alien in Signs when you thought he wouldn't, showing the full body monster in Lady in the Water, creating premises that seem, on the surface, plain silly) that few still do...

It's just kind of unfortunate that his first big film The Sixth Sense happens to be on most top 100 movies of all-time...kind of hard to top that...

Now by no means am I saying this is my most favorite of his works...but to say this is the worst movie in a long time, you obviously haven't seen "The Hottie and the Nottie" :icon_wink:

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

It's just kind of unfortunate that his first big film The Sixth Sense happens to be on most top 100 movies of all-time...kind of hard to top that...
    I know you're using the AFI list, but he did top it, with 'Unbreakable', IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi View Post
    'unbreakable' and 'the village' definitely had true twists...they just weren't as dramatic. 'unbreakable' is by far my favorite of his...it is well shot and acted and it is rewatchable...as good as '6th sense' is, i have yet to be able to sit through it a second time.
    Even so, that makes 3 out of 7 (not counting his screenplay of "Stuart Little" and the '92 film "Praying with Anger") that have had twist-endings that he's done...therefore by no means should someone fully expect one everytime in his films...

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    I know you're using the AFI list, but he did top it, with 'Unbreakable', IMO.
    That's debatable :icon_wink: A good debate...

That's debatable :icon_wink: A good debate...
    My bold statement on Unbreakable is this:

Its the best superhero origin movie ever made.

Yes, better than Batman Begins.

Actually, Iron Man might even top Batman Begins. That's a tough one.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Now by no means am I saying this is my most favorite of his works...but to say this is the worst movie in a long time, you obviously haven't seen "The Hottie and the Nottie" :icon_wink:
    Agreed. I should have said I think this is the worst movie I've paid to see at a theater in a long time (at least since A Perfect Storm). Granted I no longer get the opportunity to see a lot of movies so I'm certain there are some out there that are just as bad or worse.

I really liked the Sixth Sense, though I was lucky and went into it not having a clue as to what it was about so I wasn't looking for any big twist. I liked Unbreakable mainly for its comic book portrayal of good vs. evil (I’ve always been a comic book fan). And the actors in it were top notch. I didn’t like The Village the first time I saw it though I’ve come to enjoy it. I never saw “The Lady In the Water” so I can’t comment on that one. Overall I’d give his movies, an excellent (Sixth Sense), very good (Unbreakable), fair (The Village), poor (The Happening).

Your Themes--

Don’t think he pulled this one off. I really didn’t care about their relationship because I had nothing to base it on. They could have used an extra 15 to 30 minutes to build up the relationships prior to jumping into everything else. Passing the kid off to them didn’t help either. Should have been a lot more emotion.

Or we just don’t know how to explain it to the movie goers so we’ll just say it can’t be explained (I know they actual gave an explanation which was plausible). (of course I still could be bitter over the X-Files since they showed a preview for the new movie prior to this one).

I’m a big time horror fan. The death scenes really weren’t that dramatic. Also they state it effects your survival instinct which to me wouldn’t lead you to commit suicide (maybe not know you’re walking out in front of a car, but not intentional suicide).

Hard to say. But running to the country based upon what was happening (after they figured it out) didn’t seem right?

I didn’t see any of this in the movie. They basically just moved from place to place on foot looking for a place to stay.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend this movie to any of the people I know.

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Saw it the other day, it was llllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Every time I see this thread I think its about THE HAPPENING - our large alumni gathering at the Monroe CC. If the movie was so bad, let's change the topic and start talking about the REAL Happening!

I have tickets I'm selling to that spectacular event on July 29. PM me if you are interested in purchasing a ticket. $25.00 per person and $250.00 for a Table of 8. I think BBB should have some tables!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread