+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Freakin Woods

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Tiger Freakin Woods

What about Shoemaker in F1? I don't watch F1, but the people I know that do say he's the best.

Anyone know?

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    What about Shoemaker in F1? I don't watch F1, but the people I know that do say he's the best.

Anyone know?
    Michael Schumacher was the the best, I don't know about now.

He won the championship in '94 and '95, broke his leg in '99, then came back to win 5 in a row from 2000 to 2005. He has 90 career wins.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Michael Schumacher was the the best, I don't know about now.

He won the championship in '94 and '95, broke his leg in '99, then came back to win 5 in a row from 2000 to 2005. He has 90 career wins.
    Well, he and Lance Armstrong definitely deserve some mention when it comes to "the best at what they do ever" and sports. What about Pele?

And if I keep getting the names wrong, I'll sit two minutes in the penalty box.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Well, he and Lance Armstrong definitely deserve some mention when it comes to "the best at what they do ever" and sports. What about Pele?

And if I keep getting the names wrong, I'll sit two minutes in the penalty box.
    Lance is a CHOICE pick. Somehow he totally slipped my mind.

He's up there with Ali, MJ, and Tiger, for sure.

I'm not feeling Pele, or even Ruth, really. Certainly not Schumacher.

I know I'm about to catch hell for this, but early 2000's-era Barry Bonds was better at hitting home runs than Babe Ruth ever was.

In anticipation for the 'juice' card, just know that he went up against juiced up pitching, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    I know I'm about to catch hell for this, but early 2000's-era Barry Bonds was better at hitting home runs than Babe Ruth ever was.

In anticipation for the 'juice' card, just know that he went up against juiced up pitching, as well.
    Luminaire is always good at preemptively covering the next logical counterpoint. I agree that he went up against juiced pitching, but the technology has also changed significantly in what we know about materials and the human body. JMHO, but I think the more equitable comparison would be of their relative dominance. That might also be a difficult comparison since Bonds never enjoyed the protection that Ruth had in his lineup.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Yeah see the technology thing is where it gets real tricky. Even non-steroidal technology. And it applies to every sport.

But I'm still taking prime Barry over prime Ruth if I'm handicapping a home run derby.

Taking Tiger swinging a golf club over either one, however.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeah see the technology thing is where it gets real tricky. Even non-steroidal technology. And it applies to every sport.

But I'm still taking prime Barry over prime Ruth if I'm handicapping a home run derby.

Hard to say, Ruth was a revolutionary player. It is kind of like saying you dont think the Beatles were that great or they were overrated. It is hard to overrate revolutionary. I mean that Babe was revolutionary in the fact that he played in an era where 14 bombs in a year was awesome and he was dropping 40.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i don't think you are doing the statistics right, but i am not going to take the time to figure it out accurately. the difference that you are not considering is the fact that in a single elimination tournament, you have to play well EVERY round. you can't afford to have a bad round and make it up later. plus, like inudesu said, you have to play AGAINST other players in tennis. in golf, there is no such thing as unfavorable matchups with other players (maybe with courses, but the players don't factor in).

i will agree, though, that tiger is rediculously dominant. so is federer.

the question that comes to mind with both of them is just how good are the other players compared to previous generations? what if federer had to face agassi and sampras? what if tiger had to face nicholas? i don't follow golf, but there were some great players in the agassi/sampras era. it doesn't seem like there are that many now, but it could be because federer is just that good. i truly don't know.
    I dont think my stats are exact, but I think the point stands. Yeh, in golf, your opponent doesnt directly affect your play, but you cant affect their play either, so even to me. Outside of mind games obviously. I would actually say that Federer has more advantage in the effect on an opponent's play with his ridiculous serving ability. I cant stand to watch men's tennis hardly. Women's is almost more entertaining because you have more volley.

You cant tell me that playing the whole field in an instant is easier to win at than playing 6 rounds. Yeh, Federer might run into a couple of guys playing great tennis in a tournament. Tiger can run into 10 playing great golf.

I dont really have an opinion on who is better because I think the two sports and their setup is incomparable.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    You cant tell me that playing the whole field in an instant is easier to win at than playing 6 rounds. Yeh, Federer might run into a couple of guys playing great tennis in a tournament. Tiger can run into 10 playing great golf.
    but federer only has to run into one guy playing three sets of great tennis. to beat tiger, you've got to shoot better than him on every single round.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Bonds played in today's ballparks too, not stadiums like the Polo Grounds (440 ft to RF power alley). Even Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park are smaller now than they were in Ruth's era.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    but federer only has to run into one guy playing three sets of great tennis. to beat tiger, you've got to shoot better than him on every single round.
    Tiger is up against 100 guys ever tournament. All it takes is 10 of them to be playing good golf for him to struggle to win.

You just cant compare the two sports. Before Tiger came along, it was good to finish in the top ten 5 tournaments in a row. Now, people are astonished if he doesnt finish there every time.

I will say that Federer has not had any long stretches where he lacked dominance. Tiger has had those.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Tiger is up against 100 guys ever tournament.
    He goes up against 100 guy's scores every tournament, not 100 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    He goes up against 100 guy's scores every tournament, not 100 guys.
    So, what is the difference? He still has to beat 100 guys' scores. Does a sprinter compete? Nothing he does directly affects another runner, right? Matter of fact, I can think of many olympic sports that are like this (all swimming and gymnastics, all running events). So, you dont have to beat the competition? I dont understand. Just because it isnt head to head pitcher versus batter or tennis player versus tennis player, doesnt mean you dont have to beat the guys you are playing.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

I love federer, but to me, you have to be able to win anywhere. Imagine if Tiger couldn't win on a Links course, but still dominated everywhere else. No one would say he was the best ever. There are many europeans who dominate Links courses that can't even compare to Tiger. You have to dominate no matter where you play.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    I love federer, but to me, you have to be able to win anywhere. Imagine if Tiger couldn't win on a Links course, but still dominated everywhere else. No one would say he was the best ever. There are many europeans who dominate Links courses that can't even compare to Tiger. You have to dominate no matter where you play.
    So Lance isn't dominant because he only wins with road bikes and not mountain bikes? Hell, he really only dominates ONE race every year.

+ Reply to Thread