+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tiger Freakin Woods

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tiger Freakin Woods

Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    Ok I know I get sick of hearing about Tiger and how he played hurt, but the fact that he went and beat the field on a bum knee and had stress fracture is amazing....If he is at full strength, he probably would have lapped the field like he did at Pebble.
    With his victory at the U.S. Open on Monday, Tiger Woods finally proved than he plays better golf on one good leg than the rest of the field can play with two good legs.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I have a question. What were the clubs like when Palmer, Nicholson, etc... played as compared to now? I know my ex-father in law had given me an old set of his clubs, Hogan Edges, after he bought him some Pings. I played with those a while until I bought my Taylor Made 360s. It was like going from hitting a ball with a flat spoon to hitting a ball with a spatula. Not to mention the metal woods. I still have the first Taylor Made driver I bought. It looks like a 3 wood compared to the drivers used now. It seems to me, that more than anything else would lend more credence to the older golfers being more skilled at their craft. Not to mention personal trainers.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I have a question. What were the clubs like when Palmer, Nicholson, etc... played as compared to now? I know my ex-father in law had given me an old set of his clubs, Hogan Edges, after he bought him some Pings. I played with those a while until I bought my Taylor Made 360s. It was like going from hitting a ball with a flat spoon to hitting a ball with a spatula. Not to mention the metal woods. I still have the first Taylor Made driver I bought. It looks like a 3 wood compared to the drivers used now. It seems to me, that more than anything else would lend more credence to the older golfers being more skilled at their craft. Not to mention personal trainers.
    It's not only the equipment, but the ball -

There were MAJOR advances for a decade - 1985 to 1995 -

But unlike baseball and steriods - everyone in golf is competing on a level playing field because each has access to the equipment -

But when you go comparing eras of golfers - then EQUIPMENT and BALL are a big key -

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE works the ball from right to left and left to right like they did 15 years ago....

Not even Tiger....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

That is a very valid point. But also think of how much longer coarses are playing today. Equipment has come a long way there is no doubt.......but they are definitely trying to balance it with increased yardage.

Golf, much like car racing and cycling, is a sport that is technology driven. It does give players today an advantage, but I think is overall better for the sport (without getting too ridiculous.) There still must be some regulations.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red's Better View Post
    There still must be some regulations.
    and it should start with the ball -

The R&A and USGA should form a ball that meets minimum and maximum tolerances much like NASCAR does with templates -

Then you would not have to worry about lengthing golf courses....

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

I dont think it's so much the equipment as it is the player. Sure, the equipment is better now than it was...but what defines better. Give everyone in the field a set of clubs from 1972 and I would still bet money Tiger is gonna beat them down. You learn to play, with what you got. Yeah they can hit it farther, but like Red's said, the fairways have gotten longer and thinner, the rough has gotten thicker, the greens have gotten faster.

A player can play - regardless of era or sport - no one will argue that....

Give Jones, Hogan or Snead Tiger's technology and their games advance even more -

Give Tiger their equipment and he would adapt to it and WIN - but he COULDN'T over power a course like he does today - takeaway the par 5's and Tiger loses by 6+ strokes last week....

The only thing you need to do is to look at the senior circuit right now and they are hitting then ball further and straighter than they were at their prime on the regular tour -

The EQUIPMENT and BALL TECHNOLOGY is huge - maybe bigger than the racket advances in pro tennis....

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

All good points....Things have advanced....Augusta national adds length to the course cause Palmer and the old players were hitting 4 irons and now players are hitting 8 and 9 irons....problem with that is that the greens were not near as fast and hard when Palmer were playing...so now players are hitting 4 irons to greens that are rolling 13-14 on the stimp....not easy to do when you have a small area to land the ball to keep it on the surface....But back to the original topic, DFM you are right that the ball has to be regulated...Just the difference between a Pro V and a tour Balata is unreal, and I was hitting the balatas in high school.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I agree that equipment is a HUGE aspect of the game, but the talent level of Tiger Woods is nothing short of phenominal. Reading the break on a green, then making amazing putts takes talent, no matter what equipment he is using.

Honestly - I don't know if anyone can describe Tiger right now (or fully appreciate what he is doing/did)...

Maybe 20 or 30 years from now -

He is BABE RUTH/HANK AARON/ALI all rolled into one -

And the news release yesterday about a double stress fracture and torn ACL just adds to the living legend that is Tiger...

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    I agree that equipment is a HUGE aspect of the game, but the talent level of Tiger Woods is nothing short of phenominal.
    In my opinion, there are several golfers on Tour with just as much physical talent as Woods. Where the separation exists between Tiger and everyone else is mentally. He's one of the best athletes ever when it comes to focus, drive, and mental preparation. He has 99% of the field beat before he even tees off.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Honestly - I don't know if anyone can describe Tiger right now (or fully appreciate what he is doing/did)...

Maybe 20 or 30 years from now -

He is BABE RUTH/HANK AARON/ALI all rolled into one -

And the news release yesterday about a double stress fracture and torn ACL just adds to the living legend that is Tiger...
    You are absolutely right. In 20 to 30 years people will be telling about how Tiger had to crawl from shot to shot and stand one legged to hit the ball.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    You are absolutely right. In 20 to 30 years people will be telling about how Tiger had to crawl from shot to shot and stand one legged to hit the ball.
    I thought about that, and I was about to make that point. Now that we have so much visual evidence, legendary tales are going down the toilet. If this would have happened in 1910, the story would be like you said. We have kind of lost our flare on legends because of mass media. There is no mystique in the world anymore hardly.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I think so far, you gotta look at Michael Phelps. In the past two and a half years he has been beaten by only one swimmer in one event. He holds world records in almost every event he swims. Truly an amazing athlete and there is nobody even approaching what he is doing in swimming.

+ Reply to Thread