+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruston Eating Places

Varsity Bulldog latech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nice latech80's Avatar

Ruston Eating Places

Last fall (October), when I returned to LTU, I was shocked to see that Starbucks has invaded the bucolic hamlet of Ruston. When I was there in the mid to late 70's, it was Pete's (I think) Donut Shop right off the campus if you wanted a pastry or a cup of coffee. Anyway, much has changed since that time.

Griff's is still there, though I didn't take the time to sample their entrees. However, I noticed that Pioneer Pizza, one of my favorite haunts, is no longer in existence, and all the major fast food joints now dominate the landscape, including the Tonk.

Does anyone know if the Blue Light Cafe is still in existence? The first time I ever had salt-water cornbread was there, and it was worth the trip, just to eat that, if nothing else. There was also a place called Bee's.

There were some great restaurants and cafes around during the 70's, and it's sad there no longer there.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Ruston Eating Places

Quote Originally Posted by latech80 View Post
    Last fall (October), when I returned to LTU, I was shocked to see that Starbucks has invaded the bucolic hamlet of Ruston. When I was there in the mid to late 70's, it was Pete's (I think) Donut Shop right off the campus if you wanted a pastry or a cup of coffee. Anyway, much has changed since that time.

Griff's is still there, though I didn't take the time to sample their entrees. However, I noticed that Pioneer Pizza, one of my favorite haunts, is no longer in existence, and all the major fast food joints now dominate the landscape, including the Tonk.

Does anyone know if the Blue Light Cafe is still in existence? The first time I ever had salt-water cornbread was there, and it was worth the trip, just to eat that, if nothing else. There was also a place called Bee's.

There were some great restaurants and cafes around during the 70's, and it's sad there no longer there.
    I checked on the Blue Light about a year ago when I was in town and it was still going strong - line almost out the door. I am not sure if it is still open now, but it was then.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Had a pork chop there last week that was so big it took up a whole plate, and they had to give me a second plate for my vegetables.

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Blue Light and Bee's are still rockin, but Blue Light is by far the better choice. Best place to eat in North Louisiana.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

have i had it wrong all these years,but isnt it "hot" water cornbread? I agree, Blue Light is THE BEST place in Ruston.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by honker22 View Post
    have i had it wrong all these years,but isnt it "hot" water cornbread? I agree, Blue Light is THE BEST place in Ruston.
    Yes its HOT water cornbread....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

Had the pork chop last week and was pretty much worthless the rest of the day.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go JUST for the Hot water cornbread. All of you are right - best place to eat in North Louisiana!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

And they are really nice people at the Blue Light. It is the place to go for a pork chop!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Where is the Blue Light?

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Back off West California, on the corner of Grover and Arlington. Cross W California there at Adams Drive (Tech Campus) and follow the road around by the Subway...

I saw one of the Blue Light Ladies on the Channel 10 morning show last week and she was showing how to make hot water cornbread. They are also going to be featured in some cooking magazines, which will be very good for them and will get Ruston some more nice publicity. They are good people. Some of the very best. We are lucky they are here!

Varsity Bulldog latech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nice latech80's Avatar

Okay folks, I'm waxing nostalgic at the moment. Does anybody remember going to Kelly's (or is it Kelley's?) over around Columbia to get frozen mixed drinks? I had my first taste of rice boudin over there, and it wasn't that bad! Back in the mid-70's, the only place you could get hard liquor was Grambling. What about Tonga Island over in Monroe? Is it still open?

Is Port-au-Prince restaurant still open? Some of the best seafood around was to be found there.

Did I miss anything?

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Is Port-au-Prince restaurant still open? Some of the best seafood around was to be found there.

Did I miss anything?
    http://www.claiborneone.org/coc/port-au-prince/

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Sara's Kitchen had the best hot water cornbread, banana pudding, and sweet tea, and beef tips w/ rice, yams, etc . . . I guess blue light is the place with sarsa's gone. I ate at blue light several times but thought sara's was always better
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Okay folks, I'm waxing nostalgic at the moment. Does anybody remember going to Kelly's (or is it Kelley's?) over around Columbia to get frozen mixed drinks? I had my first taste of rice boudin over there, and it wasn't that bad! Back in the mid-70's, the only place you could get hard liquor was Grambling. What about Tonga Island over in Monroe? Is it still open?

Did I miss anything?

Is there another kind?
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

+ Reply to Thread