+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruston Eating Places

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Ruston Eating Places

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    Sweet Pea's has some good groceries. Too bad Bee's went to pot after Ms. Bee died and Russell's bought the restaurant.
    I wondered what happened to Bee's quality. It's just not the same as it was, is it?

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I wondered what happened to Bee's quality. It's just not the same as it was, is it?
    Not even close. Ms. Bee is truly missed. Not only was she a fantastic cook, but she was a pleasure to visit with while eating.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

there are three other spots I remember.

Mike's PO cafe
    El Taco Grunge =)
    A fried chicken delivery place

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

I remember Munchies, The Pit Grill, Pisa Pizza, Pioneer Pizza, Wongs, El Polino, and the old A&W on California.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Anybody remember Toot's Fried Chicken across from the old Burger King. It was pretty good for the price.

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

Wong's was the best Chinese restaurant of all time. I truly miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red's Better View Post

I see Henry Wong regularly. He is in poor health. He still will not give up any of his recies.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red's Better View Post
    I agree, Wong's was some good stuff, hint stuff
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Reading through this I was thinking about Wong's. Interesting restaurant: good food, always fun to listen to them yell at each other in the back, but you never really knew when they would be open.

Loved the Grunge until the night I went in and it was overrun with moths. Not being sure what the meat was was one thing, eating insects was just too much.

Sad to hear about Bea's. Always thought it was better than Blue Light. Loved eating there.

Any of you guys lucky enough to be in Ruston when the Dry Dock was open? Great seafood at great prices, but the location and lack of ambiance pretty well doomed it. I tried to talk it up as much as possible, but people just wouldn't try it. Easily the highest quality food I ever had in Ruston.

Varsity Bulldog latech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nice latech80's Avatar

Is Stow's still open? I think it is, but I wanted to check to see if it was opened and how much it has changed. Actually, local folklore has it that during the Civil War, it served as a Confederate hospital and the spirits of those who succumbed to their wounds haunt the place. Any sitings anyone?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latech80 View Post
    Is Stow's still open? I think it is, but I wanted to check to see if it was opened and how much it has changed. Actually, local folklore has it that during the Civil War, it served as a Confederate hospital and the spirits of those who succumbed to their wounds haunt the place. Any sitings anyone?
    I don't think Stows is still open. The last time I went by there it was closed down, but that's been several months ago. There have been several people on the board who I believe confirm that it's no longer open.

Varsity Bulldog latech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nice latech80's Avatar

Back in the mid-70's, living on campus for 4 years, we didn't have a lot to choose from in the way of eating joints, unless you traveled to either Monroe or Shreveport. I can tell you that I frequented Munchies, Pioneer Pizza, and Griff's. Everybody bemoaned their 25-cent hamburger deal, but I always preferred their cheeseburger combo with a chocolate milkshake. Pioneer Pizza always seemed to have a better buffet on Friday night, and Munchies was good anytime you were tired of the cafeterias on campus. There was some fried chicken joint not far from the Methodist Church that I used to eat at a lot, but the name escapes me.

Entertainment, like food, was limited, but I do remember there was an old movie theater in the downtown area that always featured local talent on the weekends. The bands consisted of locals, as did the audiences, and most of them performed at the fair in the fall. Some of the acts were pretty good, and they even had a couple of guys who would do stand-up.

All in all, it was a fund experience!

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Entertainment, like food, was limited, but I do remember there was an old movie theater in the downtown area that always featured local talent on the weekends. The bands consisted of locals, as did the audiences, and most of them performed at the fair in the fall. Some of the acts were pretty good, and they even had a couple of guys who would do stand-up.

All in all, it was a fun experience!
    The movie theater, the Dixie, has undergone a multi-million dollar renovation. It is used for plays, concerts, and some movies.

Stow's is out of business.

More eating establishments on the North Service Road now. A number of chain restaurants have popped up there in recent years with more to come. Applebee's, Chilis, Raising Canes, World of Wings and constant rumors about others coming in.

On California along the south side of the campus are Griffs, Subway, Popeyes, Papa Johns, Taco Bell, and KFC. A Mexican restaurant is in the old Wong's/Pioneer Pizza building and a Chinese place in what was the convenience store across from Dudley.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

The Stow's building has been used as a hotel and a hospital but Ruston wasn't established until 20 years after the Civil War. Lots of stories about ghost sitings however.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Monjunis.

Muffaletta.

Milky Way Cake for desert.

Greatness.

+ Reply to Thread