+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TECH Golf Tournaments

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

TECH Golf Tournaments

Are there any in the works?

Haven't seen anything for Longview yet, and the Roaf "may" be held in the fall.

I always enjoy showing DocMarvin a few tricks.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Re: TECH Golf Tournaments

Last we heard, the Roaf would no longer take place because it was losing money. Take something out of alumni hands and let Tech run it and it loses money. Imagine that.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    Last we heard, the Roaf would no longer take place because it was losing money. Take something out of alumni hands and let Tech run it and it loses money. Imagine that.

I heard TECH wants to explore ways to make it feasible.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

I visited with Adam McQuirt yesterday about a possible LTAC fund raising golf tournament...The Roaf was losing money...
    I will be visiting with courses around here for possible sites...EVERYTHING concerning a tournament would have to be donated to make it happen but I really feel we could raise $30 to $40,000 for LTAC with all the right donations and still have an entry fee that would be UNDER $200 per person...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

The key would be to find a course who is Tech minded and wouldn't mind being the course sponsor. Tournament sponsors would fund the cart rentals and incidentals. Food would be sponsored by local eateries. Then entry fees and unused sponsor money would all be gravy.
    I'd love to help (if it's not around April 24, 2009).:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I heard TECH wants to explore ways to make it feasible.
    STOP GIVING AWAY FREE TEAMS TO ANY JOE BLOW THAT DONATES MONEY TO TECH!!!

I completely understand a discount for sponsors or LTAC members, but free teams should be DONE.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    STOP GIVING AWAY FREE TEAMS TO ANY JOE BLOW THAT DONATES MONEY TO TECH!!!

I completely understand a discount for sponsors or LTAC members, but free teams should be DONE.
    I agree, but, now that Tech has given away tickets to a golf tournament with Roaf's name on it, charging for the SAME event (even at a different date) would hurt relations between those that gave before and "got it free" and those trying to collect more money. If Mr. Roaf still will allow Tech to use his name to further athletics I suggest getting away from a golf tournament and look at other options.

Think of it this way. I am a guy that owns golf clubs. I suck! And I am not paying $100 to suck infront of people I could do business with. Out of the 70,000 living alumni what percentage of them are male? own golf clubs? don't suck? & would be willing to pay for the experience? Really put a percentage you think works in those numbers and watch how fast it drops.
    I think TECH is limiting it's self by looking at more golf tournaments. Does Mr. Roaf have another passion? Does Mr. Roaf see an opportunity to do something different that current and former NFLers would support?
    The event took a turn. A turn I think Mr. Roaf would not like. He still wants to help. Things/people have changed. I suggest we(TECH) let him really think about how he could help.

I just really think that when these NFL guys call their buddies about doing this or that they are all hesitant. They all complain and they all do it becuase "I owe him." Well, what if it was an event that sounded fun to them? I mean, playing golf is GREAT! But not so much when everyone is staring at me and expecting me to be decent! Yeah, nah, not so great then!

Just thinking inside the box.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    I agree, but, now that Tech has given away tickets to a golf tournament with Roaf's name on it, charging for the SAME event (even at a different date) would hurt relations between those that gave before and "got it free" and those trying to collect more money. If Mr. Roaf still will allow Tech to use his name to further athletics I suggest getting away from a golf tournament and look at other options.

Think of it this way. I am a guy that owns golf clubs. I suck! And I am not paying $100 to suck infront of people I could do business with. Out of the 70,000 living alumni what percentage of them are male? own golf clubs? don't suck? & would be willing to pay for the experience? Really put a percentage you think works in those numbers and watch how fast it drops.
    I think TECH is limiting it's self by looking at more golf tournaments. Does Mr. Roaf have another passion? Does Mr. Roaf see an opportunity to do something different that current and former NFLers would support?
    The event took a turn. A turn I think Mr. Roaf would not like. He still wants to help. Things/people have changed. I suggest we(TECH) let him really think about how he could help.

I just really think that when these NFL guys call their buddies about doing this or that they are all hesitant. They all complain and they all do it becuase "I owe him." Well, what if it was an event that sounded fun to them? I mean, playing golf is GREAT! But not so much when everyone is staring at me and expecting me to be decent! Yeah, nah, not so great then!

Just thinking inside the box.
    Karl Malone fishing tournament on D'Arbonne. Would attract more than Tech alum and might get some t.v. coverage.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post

I think TECH is limiting it's self by looking at more golf tournaments.
    ok, so just assuming 50% are male... that's 35,000

Take 1% and that's 350 alum. Do you think that we can find 1% of TECH alums that would play in a tournament every year?? At $100 each player, that's $35,000 before expenses.

TECH was charging $150 (i think) for the Roaf tournament. Not certain on the amount of teams but it would be a minimum of 18 teams... prolly closer to 24 teams or so, but I'll use the 18 teams for this..

18 teams x 4 man teams x $150 = $10,800

HOW CAN TECH BE LOSING MONEY ON THIS IF $10,800 IS THE MINIMUM THAT THEY SHOULD MAKE??

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post

HOW CAN TECH BE LOSING MONEY ON THIS IF $10,800 IS THE MINIMUM THAT THEY SHOULD MAKE??
    Because they weren't doing this...

The key would be to find a course who is Tech minded and wouldn't mind being the course sponsor. Tournament sponsors would fund the cart rentals and incidentals. Food would be sponsored by local eateries. Then entry fees and unused sponsor money would all be gravy.
    I'd love to help (if it's not around April 24, 2009).:icon_wink:

They did do this early on when the tourny was still in Homer. Grassroots effort from folks who love Tech and they worked their butts off to make it happen.

Needed more holes to service more teams...moved to and 18 hole location...cost go up...donations go down...the rest is history.

IMO, Tech should be used only to provide the list of potential players, then be there in full force to work the tournament helping to bring in even more money. They get a nice fat check at the end and have only worked a few folks for a night and day.

Grassroots right Dawpix?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

yassir.
    My dream tournament is for a civic club to come in and say, "Hey, our Kiwanis/Rotary/Civitan/Lions Club wants to do something for the Boys & Girls Club. Our civic club is gonna hold a golf tournament and all we want you to do is be there at our next meeting to receive the check from all the proceeds."
    My reply?
    "Will your meeting next week be too soon?"

Now, my tournament is used as an awareness event and I like to thank many of my year-round sponsors at this event. A fun event, if you will, where we also make a modest amount . . . but with alot of work. This is what the TB/KB tourney has become and what the Roaf also had become.

The Kiwanis/Rotary/Civitan/Lions Club route (or a full Alumni-run event) where all the members (alumni) buy sponsorships and enter teams and invite out of town clients, etc., and provide all the manpower would be more fun for charity/university. Especially 8if the course can be encouraged to provide a major green fee reduction.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    yassir.
    My dream tournament is for a civic club to come in and say, "Hey, our Kiwanis/Rotary/Civitan/Lions Club wants to do something for the Boys & Girls Club. Our civic club is gonna hold a golf tournament and all we want you to do is be there at our next meeting to receive the check from all the proceeds."
    My reply?
    "Will your meeting next week be too soon?"

Now, my tournament is used as an awareness event and I like to thank many of my year-round sponsors at this event. A fun event, if you will, where we also make a modest amount . . . but with alot of work. This is what the TB/KB tourney has become and what the Roaf also had become.

The Kiwanis/Rotary/Civitan/Lions Club route (or a full Alumni-run event) where all the members (alumni) buy sponsorships and enter teams and invite out of town clients, etc., and provide all the manpower would be more fun for charity/university. Especially 8if the course can be encouraged to provide a major green fee reduction.
    Most courses will be willing to give a green fee reduction as long as they are getting cart rentals paid. A big tournament can go a long way in servicing the monthy cart bill for most clubs.

+ Reply to Thread