+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best song that most people have never heard

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Thumbs Up best song that most people have never heard

after the thread about the worst songs ever (all of which were way overplayed) i started thinking about just the opposite. what are the best songs that never got any radio play? these could be a great song from an obscure band, a b side that never made the radio, or a gem buried in an album full of mediocre hits.

i haven't had time to think of what i would put on the list yet, but i figured i would go ahead and throw the question out to see what everyone else can come up with.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: best song that most people have never heard

I can think of a few right off the top of my head.

First (from the 70s I think) is "Brandy" by a band called Looking Glass. Never heard of those guys again, but that song is still a good one.

From the 80s, I can think of several.

1. Turning Japanese, by The Vapors
    2. She Blinded Me With Science, by Thomas Dolby
    3. Come On Eileen, by Dexy's Midnight Runners
    4. Don't Worry, Be Happy, by Bobby McFerrin

Two other songs from the 80s that were big hits, but had to be written by someone you have never heard of:
    - Pac Man Fever
    - The theme song from Greatest American Hero...(Believe it or not?)

From the 90s,

- The song "Whoop, there it is" I don't know who wrote it, but I always hated it. I hope they never write another song. EVER.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I can think of a few right off the top of my head.

First (from the 70s I think) is "Brandy" by a band called Looking Glass. Never heard of those guys again, but that song is still a good one.

From the 80s, I can think of several.

1. Turning Japanese, by The Vapors
    2. She Blinded Me With Science, by Thomas Dolby
    3. Come On Eileen, by Dexy's Midnight Runners
    4. Don't Worry, Be Happy, by Bobby McFerrin

Two other songs from the 80s that were big hits, but had to be written by someone you have never heard of:
    - Pac Man Fever
    - The theme song from Greatest American Hero...(Believe it or not?)

From the 90s,

- The song "Whoop, there it is" I don't know who wrote it, but I always hated it. I hope they never write another song. EVER.
    i think you misunderstood the purpose of the thread. i'm not looking for hits from one-hit wonders. i'm looking for great songs that were NOT hits (or even singles).

as an example, i will throw out led zep's "hey, hey, what can i say." it was a b side that was never released on an album, and most people had probably never heard of it until hootie and the blowfish covered it in the late 90's.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i think you misunderstood the purpose of the thread. i'm not looking for hits from one-hit wonders. i'm looking for great songs that were NOT hits (or even singles).
    Fine, then. Be that way. j/k

If you are looking for good songs or bands that never made it big, I would throw Cowboy Mouth in there.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Fine, then. Be that way. j/k

If you are looking for good songs or bands that never made it big, I would throw Cowboy Mouth in there.
    you're getting close...
    now name their best song!

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

"Blue Jean Blues" and "My Head's in Mississippi" might be my favorite ZZ Top songs, but the only ones you still hear are Cheap Sunglasses, La Grange, and a few more.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

One of my favorite bands is Flogging Molly. Their newest album Float's title track is just great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjcHxl8NyrU

They are playing at the Varsity in a few months and I hope I'll get to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
    "Blue Jean Blues" and "My Head's in Mississippi" might be my favorite ZZ Top songs, but the only ones you still hear are Cheap Sunglasses, La Grange, and a few more.
    nice.

If you ask me, Cowboy Mouth's best is either "Jenny Says", "Bad", or "Take Me Back to New Orleans".

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Better than Ezra: Sincerely, Me

I'd never heard of the band before they came to Tech a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    Better than Ezra: Sincerely, Me

I'd never heard of the band before they came to Tech a couple years ago.
    they got a lot of radio play with their first two albums in the 90's, but i haven't heard much from them since. i'll have to check that song out.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Almost anything by Tonio K -- but especially What Women Want, The Executioner's Song and Stay.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Have any of you heard this beautiful song by Flyleaf?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tB5fV_Pewlg
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 06-19-2008 at 11:31 PM.

This guy gets my vote.

Lots of people have seen him talk, but most would be surprised to know he can sing like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfw8acB7TVk

+ Reply to Thread