+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HB199 Pulled From Consideration

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: HB199 Pulled From Consideration

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    I for one am AGAINST the concealed carry on campus.

A very interesting statistic that I heard once was that regular citizens (prolly even more for college stoodents) MISS their targets 80% of the time. Police are trained to qualify HITTING their targets 80% of the time.

Shooting deer in the middle of the woods with only you, the deer and a few buddies out there is alot different that having to shoot someone with possibly 12,000 stoodents on campus (obviously not in the same room, hallway,dorm, etc; but you get my drift)

I want to work this desk job that I have because that's 2 more 80% shooters out there on the streets making a difference.

You know you would go a long way in garnering legitimacy and support for your arguments if you would quit intentionally mispelling words such as students.:icon_wink:

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    I for one am AGAINST the concealed carry on campus.

A very interesting statistic that I heard once was that regular citizens (prolly even more for college stoodents) MISS their targets 80% of the time. Police are trained to qualify HITTING their targets 80% of the time.
    In that case, I'd really like your assessment. In the event you are in the same room as a suicidal killer, you're thinking...
    1) I wish I had the ability to defend myself
    2) I'm glad the police are good at their job and will be here quickly

I agree that you have a good point, but as individuals we have to take responsibility over our own life. If the police don't get there in time and the suicidal killer kills you, do you still die? Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that students with a CC lisence should chase after the killer with the intent to kill; but they do deserve the ability to protect themselves in a retreat. If the schools are not going to offer students the ability to protect themselves, then they should take responsibility in the event of a disaster. Tech, and all other universities, should install metal detectors at the doors and hire security for each building. If the maniac finds a weakness in the system, the university should be liable for a lawsuit.

Responsibility means taking your CC lisence seriously and keeping in good practice. You and I probably both agree that the CC license needs to be more difficult to obtain, especially with regards to shooting ability. However, that is an entirely different topic.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    In that case, I'd really like your assessment. In the event you are in the same room as a suicidal killer, you're thinking...
    1) I wish I had the ability to defend myself
    2) I'm glad the police are good at their job and will be here quickly
    I'll answer 1, 2, 3 and 4.

#3. If I attempt to shoot him and I miss, killing another fellow innocent stoodent (just for you DD), I'm not certain that I'd be able to live with myself.. (mentally, not suicidal)
    #4. If some citizen fires off a few rounds and shoots me, I hope that other person gets put in jail for something (involuntary manslaughter would be fine with me)

Not saying that anyone is right or wrong, but I wouldn't like it. I've seen college age kids tempers.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Responsibility means taking your CC lisence seriously and keeping in good practice. You and I probably both agree that the CC license needs to be more difficult to obtain, especially with regards to shooting ability. However, that is an entirely different topic.
    Yeap, but when you start add hands to the cookie jar, soon you'll run into more problems than you started with.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Doc,

I agree that it is not a simple issue and you do have good points. Hopefully people who hold a CC license have the intellegence to not fire off into a crowd of people or take a shot that they do not have. The ideal situation would be for suicidal mass killers to be constrained to movies, but until schools start taking this seriously (and they've roughly started to), personal protection should be an individual right, jmo.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how many true shootouts (not training exercises, but real criminals with real ammo shooting back at you) have you been involved with?
    71227, how about an answer to this question too?

+ Reply to Thread