+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HB199 Pulled From Consideration

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: HB199 Pulled From Consideration

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I totally, totally agree with your logic without agreeing with your conclusion. I think where we might disagree is what the above means. In a situation where a mass shooting occurs, I'd rather have the chance to defend myself than only the ability to rely on the police even at the risk of the police engaging me.

JMHO, but the point of CC is NOT to stop or confront a person intent on mass murder. The point is to be able to defend yourself and retreat from the situation (which is different than the situation you are mentioning above).
    One topic that most people don't bring up while they debate CC on college campuses is how allowing concealed carry permit holders to carry handguns on campus could protect students from more ordinary crimes other than mass shootings/murders. While the odds of being involved in a mass shooting on a college campus is still low (even in today's environment), students (especially females) have to worry about being attacked, assaulted, or raped while on campus. Students with CC permits would have another way to protect themselves in case the police can't get there in time to help.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    Lets say it does happen, how long will it take for the police to get there? Do they still surround and contain the situation before moving in? That could take precious minutes.

Im asking because I do not know.
    If an active shooter is reported on the Tech campus, Tech Police, Ruston Police and LPSO are going to swarm the campus. There will be no "surround and contain". First responding officers are going to form contact teams and immediately go in after the shooter. The response will be dynamic. Officers are training hours upon hours in "active shooter" scenarios. Priority one is stop the shooter. Police are going in to stop the shooting...not negotiate a surrender. Our goal is save as many lives as possible. Tech Officers are carrying new equipment that was unavailable before. (Patrol Rifles for instance) Each shift has at least one patrol rifle qualified officer with a rifle. (I happen to be one) If a shooter opens up on campus, it is likely there will be casualties. We will do our very best to stop a shooter as fast as we can to limit those casualties.

Big Dog Dawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her gameDawgfan71227 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    It won't happen in Dr. Blackstock's class because he locks the door.
    What if the shooting starts in the classroom?

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan71227 View Post
    What if the shooting starts in the classroom?
    We are screwed.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

If you think VA Tech can't happen at LA Tech... Yawn all you like.
    I'm yawning at your self-important, ranting bullshit. Your post pretty much confirms that you have some goober-like tendencies.

Yo-yos like the guy at VATech expect police to arrive with guns; they do not expect Suzie or Bobby Tom to pull a 9mm from a backpack and empty 15 rounds in their chest. To avoid being shot by you, they then return their weapon to the backpack or just lay the damned thing down!

Of course, they could wait for 30 minutes like they did at VATech for the police to get to where the shooter was. This is not a swipe at the police; it takes time to locate a shooter on a big campus. I prefer not to wait, and I suspect that the families of those killed at VATech wish there had been a "lawbreaker" amongst the students...a "lawbreaker" with a licensed 9mm in their packpack.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

If an active shooter is reported on the Tech campus, Tech Police, Ruston Police and LPSO are going to swarm the campus. There will be no "surround and contain". First responding officers are going to form contact teams and immediately go in after the shooter. The response will be dynamic. Officers are training hours upon hours in "active shooter" scenarios. Priority one is stop the shooter. Police are going in to stop the shooting...not negotiate a surrender. Our goal is save as many lives as possible. Tech Officers are carrying new equipment that was unavailable before. (Patrol Rifles for instance) Each shift has at least one patrol rifle qualified officer with a rifle. (I happen to be one) If a shooter opens up on campus, it is likely there will be casualties. We will do our very best to stop a shooter as fast as we can to limit those casualties.
    I have every confidence you want to and will eventually stop him...but you have to FIND him! Locating an active, moving shooter could take 10...15...30 minutes! If both Suzie and Bobby Tom are carrying, the shooter could be down much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    One topic that most people don't bring up while they debate CC on college campuses is how allowing concealed carry permit holders to carry handguns on campus could protect students from more ordinary crimes other than mass shootings/murders. While the odds of being involved in a mass shooting on a college campus is still low (even in today's environment), students (especially females) have to worry about being attacked, assaulted, or raped while on campus. Students with CC permits would have another way to protect themselves in case the police can't get there in time to help.
    Bingo!

Speaking of Ranting Bullshit... Yawn!

Speaking of Ranting Bullshit... Yawn!
    You confimed my point...you are a goober, one that can't legitimately defend his position.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I'm glad HB199 was pulled. If students/parents/law_enforcement/school_officials overwhelmingly did not feel comfortable with allowing concealed weapons on campus, then it's a good thing this bill got booted out.

If I was a Tech student again...I wouldn't feel more safe knowing that I have fellow classmates carrying a firearm.

HB199 which would authorize the carrying of concealed handguns by non-law enforcement individuals on campus was pulled from consideration by it's author. The bill faced overwhelming opposition by University Chiefs of Police, University Police Officers, University Administrators, Students and Parents.
    You neglected to include the Brady Campaign...the anti-gun folks.

If you had taken the time to go and research the bill and the opposition, the opposition was from the ULS presidents and their employees (chiefs of police and officers...think Steve Quinnelly) plus the SGA presidents from each institution. There was no great outpouring from students or parents unless the Democrat members of the House (all of whom recieved a donation from the Brady Campaign) count on the parent's list!

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    You confimed my point...you are a goober, one that can't legitimately defend his position.
    You are just a mouth spouting off about something you have no clue about. How many active shooter classes have you attended? How many active shooter training scenarios have you completed? How many cases of active shooters have you studied? How many states have taken the same stand as Louisiana and voted against concealed carry on college campuses?

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    You neglected to include the Brady Campaign...the anti-gun folks.

If you had taken the time to go and research the bill and the opposition, the opposition was from the ULS presidents and their employees (chiefs of police and officers...think Steve Quinnelly) plus the SGA presidents from each institution. There was no great outpouring from students or parents unless the Democrat members of the House (all of whom recieved a donation from the Brady Campaign) count on the parent's list!
    Steve Quinnelly is NOT the Chief anymore. He was replaced after Va. Tech. Just goes to prove your arguments are uninformed.

Steve Quinnelly is NOT the Chief anymore. He was replaced after Va. Tech. Just goes to prove your arguments are uninformed.
    How long was he chief? That's the point!

You are just a mouth spouting off about something you have no clue about. How many active shooter classes have you attended? How many active shooter training scenarios have you completed? How many cases of active shooters have you studied? How many states have taken the same stand as Louisiana and voted against concealed carry on college campuses?
    Just because other states have "done the same thing" doesn't make it right, does it? I guess that means that Louisiana should fall in line behind California and Vermont endorsing marriage between Bob and Bruce!

As far as studying active shooters, I hope you have studied hours, nay days, more than I have but it doesn't change the argument that it will take precious time for you to respond and identify a shooter. Bobby Tom can do it a whole lot faster.

+ Reply to Thread